Damn it! I Told You SO!

Munchkin

Full of Fairy Dust
More than 10 years ago I met a woman who was auditioning to be a drummer in my SO's band. She was nice and as a drummer, she was adequate. The music business is tough and adequate doesn't fill a venue. Jeff asked my opinion and I said I would not hire her for my band. First because she was just adequate and second because she would never be reliable. She was going to have too many health problems. When you are in a band, reliable is almost as important as being a talented musician. What do you do when someone can't show up? You have to pay top dollar to replace them on short notice. Probably more money than you are making from the gig.

Jeff had several people scheduled to audition but she sort of followed him around from gig to gig to sit in and play. She really did want the job. I got to know her better because she was just there. Sure enough she had tons of health issues. She went on and on about them whenever I saw her. Probably not smart. I didn't have the power to hire and fire but I did have influence. She was right around SSMO. Pretty sure she was somewhere between 400 and 500lbs. She could barely walk and all her issues were related to size.

One night she opened the door. Started telling me about her latest diet. I hesitated and just said diets had never worked for me. Not because I couldn't lose weight, I just couldn't keep it off. And of course she asked me what I did. When I told her I used to be about the same size as her, she almost plotzed right there. I told her about the DS. At first I got some of the standard fat acceptance lines from her. Yes, we should accept people of all sizes but I had surgery because I wanted to fit better in an average sized world and I was scared to death thinking about all the size related problems I was going to have down the road if I didn't do SOMETHING. I didn't want to be in a wheelchair and dependent on others for my care. I knew this wasn't the first time someone had told her to consider WLS. I told her why I chose the DS. She already knew I could eat. She had seen me eat several times. She had also seen me with alcoholic beverages so she knew I could drink too. She asked a lot of questions about what I could and couldn't eat/do and I was honest. I really didn't have any limitations.

Jeff didn't hire her and I stopped seeing her all the time. But we are friends on FB and she posts a LOT. Fast forward 10+ years and she is in a wheelchair and is totally dependent on others for care. She has been diagnosed with everythingbutthekitchensinkitis. She can't walk at all and has a Hoyer Lift in her apartment. She spends her life going from doctor to doctor, firing them when they tell her things she does not want to hear. Probably quite a few fired her too because she is crazy nuts now. Psych Consult would be MY first order as her physician too. She is delusional. She blames all her problems on chem trails, 5G networks, and high tension electric lines. She has become a tinfoil hat person. Never once has she acknowledged that even some of her problems are related to her weight and all the decades her body was forced to work too hard. Totally in denial and she works it HARD. She can't play the drums anymore and her life is pretty empty. I feel sorry for her. But I know I can't fix her.

But I did try. I made sure she knew there was another option.

The overwhelming majority of people who qualify medically for bariatric surgery never have it. And we all know the statistics for sustained weight loss without surgery, i.e. that only 5%, if that, will succeed if already MO.
There are many reasons that more people don't go forward with surgery. Maybe she didn't have insurance and couldn't afford it. Maybe she was afraid. Maybe family members influenced her, perhaps with good intentions (too risky, too drastic, we've all heard the reasons). Maybe it was denial. We'll never know. I'm sorry her choices led to this outcome and hope that, somehow, her life will improve. Even some of the bedbound folks can be helped. I hope she finds that help and will accept it.

it's sad, but you did the best you could. she didn't or couldn't listen.

chem trails? that is so seriously nuts!

She died today so there is an end to the story. She caught COVID and then pneumonia. I believe her family took her off life support. Don’t know for sure because I wasn’t there. I learned of her death on FB. So sad.

Her dog was diagnosed with cancer just before she got sick. His name was Harley and he was her rock. I was very concerned she would go downhill fast without him. I hope someone in her family takes the dog and makes the rest of his life as good as possible.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry, for you for your loss, and for her for a life that should have been so much better. She deserved more. Just a very sad situation.

She died today so there is an end to the story. She caught COVID and then pneumonia. I believe her family took her off life support. Don’t know for sure because I wasn’t there. I learned of her death on FB. So sad.

Her dog was diagnosed with cancer just before she got sick. His name was Harley and he was her rock. I was very concerned she would go downhill fast without him. I hope someone in her family takes the dog and makes the rest of his life as good as possible.

I am so sorry. and like everyone else I hope someone takes care of the dog.

:5grouphug:

It is so hard to watch people suffer needlessly. This week I lost another relative. She died from renal failure. She was on a list for a kidney but it just did not happen for her. She was 53 years old. She fought so valiantly to stay alive. It hurts when there are available solutions. My condolences for the loss of your friend.

It is so hard to watch people suffer needlessly. This week I lost another relative. She died from renal failure. She was on a list for a kidney but it just did not happen for her. She was 53 years old. She fought so valiantly to stay alive. It hurts when there are available solutions. My condolences for the loss of your friend.
I'm so sorry for your loss. May her memory be a blessing.

Latest posts

Back