Constipation at 3 Weeks Out

Felicity

I know vets say that if you're constipated, the best solution is to eat more fats... any ideas on how I can do that if I am experiencing it at 3.5 weeks post-op? I'm still on soft foods and averaging about 30g Fat and 40g Protein per day. I haven't had a BM in 2 to 3 days now, and it does NOT feel good to be in my shoes right now. Would taking a cap full of Miralax hurt at this point?

EDIT: If I am able to pass gas, does that mean it's not constipation? I just realized I have been able to do that a few times the last few days...
Also having some sharp pains in my lower left abdomen near my belly button (that I haven't had or it wasn't significant before). I don't have any incisions in that area.

Last edited:
Try some olive oil possibly. Are you taking iron already? If so I would maybe back off a while. Are you taking calcium and if so how much? I don't need iron but I can tell if I am taking too much calcium as it slows me down and gives me that constipated feel. And passing gas while being constipated is very normal.... If you couldn't pass gas or poop that is when you worry about an obstruction

At 3.5 weeks I would think you are ready for advancing your diet. I can't remember when I did and need to check my surgeons binder on that when I get home but I think was entertaining normal food territory around this time that you are at. Nuts have a lot oil in them and if you chew them to a mush could help. Also if you can stomach eggs and Costco Hormel precooked bacon that can help as well.

Try some olive oil possibly. Are you taking iron already? If so I would maybe back off a while. Are you taking calcium and if so how much? I don't need iron but I can tell if I am taking too much calcium as it slows me down and gives me that constipated feel. And passing gas while being constipated is very normal.... If you couldn't pass gas or poop that is when you worry about an obstruction

At 3.5 weeks I would think you are ready for advancing your diet. I can't remember when I did and need to check my surgeons binder on that when I get home but I think was entertaining normal food territory around this time that you are at. Nuts have a lot oil in them and if you chew them to a mush could help. Also if you can stomach eggs and Costco Hormel precooked bacon that can help as well.

Thanks for the reply! As far as vitamins go, I am just doing 3 Centrum Chewable multivitamins per day. I did a few days of calcium at the start of week 2 but then I discovered I misread my instructions and wasn't supposed to start that until week 4... so just the multi right now.
For the diet, I am no longer having just soups/puree - but sticking to soft foods. For example, for breakfast/lunch I had some pastrami and swiss rolled up. I will try upping the fats in what I am eating tonight to see if that helps get things moving!

I was still on a stool softener and miralax if necessary at that point.

Also how's your water intake ?

Latest posts

Back