Completed pre op requirements!

Newb

This past week, I finally completed all of my pre-op requirements (tests, psychiatric eval, dietician stuff and weight loss). I am certain I am having the ds, and am happy that I am moving in the right direction. Lots of things are going through my mind, I have my meeting with my surgeon on the 29th and we will plan how my surgery. Geisinger has agreed to do the surgery in the manner in want, so I would like to know how some of you feel about your cc and al lengths. I understand that the Hess method is what many say is the correct way to do the surgery, but I also know that many patients do not get the Hess method prescribed lengths. So, my question is this, what is your al and cc length? Was the Hess method used in your surgery? What complications have you had with those lengths? If your are years post-op, is your surgery still supporting you in the way it should? Really, just your general thoughts and feelings about your personal procedure would be appreciated.
My second question is about the gall bladder, keep it, or take it out? Currently, I have no problems, but am curious about how you feel.
Finally, what is wrong with me? I've just completed my requirements, and all my brain can think about is the wrong types of food! What is going on? Will this stop?

So, my question is this, what is your al and cc length? Was the Hess method used in your surgery? What complications have you had with those lengths? If your are years post-op, is your surgery still supporting you in the way it should? Really, just your general thoughts and feelings about your personal procedure would be appreciated.
My second question is about the gall bladder, keep it, or take it out? Currently, I have no problems, but am curious about how you feel.
Finally, what is wrong with me? I've just completed my requirements, and all my brain can think about is the wrong types of food! What is going on? Will this stop?
Don't remember my AL but my common channel is 175 (I was a 35.2 when I started going for the DS).

In many ways I wish it were shorter but I was able to lose all my weight and keep 99% of it off (the last 1% is because I went back above 145 a couple of weeks ago. When I eat more protein, I tend to lose it. I haven't had any serious vitamin issues (except for needing iron infusions). I get labs done every six months.

I'm five plus years out and yes, it's still doing exactly what I wanted it to do...give me a normal life.

My gallbladder had to come out 6 months after my DS. If you have a the option, get it and your appendix removed...two less things to rule out if you have abdominal pain after your DS.

Actually as far as food...nothing is off limits BUT it's a case of SHOULD you eat it, not can you. Each of us finds which foods cause us issues thru trial and error but the common wisdom is to limit starchy carbs, fruits, sugars, and heavily processed foods while losing weight.

Get that GB removed! Over and over I have heard people going on about how their doc was doing them a great favor by keeping the GB. Many even take Actigall(expensive) to try to keep the GB healthy. Well, within 6 months to a year, they are back in surgery getting it removed. The straight poop is, anyone who has been heavy for long has a diseased GB. It's just a matter of waiting for it to fail.

My CC is 75. I never reached goal, normal BMI. And I never got thin. If I could do it over again, I would get an even shorter CC and a smaller stomach. That 75 is what my doc told me... Not sure if I believe it because that's a short CC and I have never had any deficiencies.

Latest posts

Back