Colace Questions

Stefanie S.

I see that many, many of you take Colace daily, up to 3 times per day. May I ask you a few questions?
  1. Do you take the 50 mg or 100 mg?
  2. I bought Colace Clear, soft gels... now that I'm home, it dawns on me... can I not have anything in a soft gel? Here are the ingredients: docusate sodium (50 mg), gelatin, glycerin, PEG 400, propylene glycol, sorbitol
  3. Is the propylene glycol safe?
  4. Is it okay to take this 3 times per day for life?
Thank you!

Someone else can speak to the ingredients but it's not the soft gel itself, it's what's in the soft gel. Example, my ibuprofen is a soft gel. It works fine. But even pre-op, the soft gel D did not work for me.

If you are having trouble pooping this early out, please talk with your surgeon. This is something he/she needs to know because it could be due to a number of different reasons. I personally do not have a need to take Colace or any stool softeners and never have. Certain types of iron and calcium will cause constipation for many. Read, learn, but take advice with caution after you have done your own research. Always talk to your surgeon about physical concerns.

If you are having trouble pooping this early out, please talk with your surgeon. This is something he/she needs to know because it could be due to a number of different reasons. I personally do not have a need to take Colace or any stool softeners and never have. Certain types of iron and calcium will cause constipation for many. Read, learn, but take advice with caution after you have done your own research. Always talk to your surgeon about physical concerns.
Thanks! I have my surgeon appointment on Tuesday. I have definitely had issues with constipation since about Day 4. On Tuesday I will 2 weeks out and from the handouts they've given us, it looks like I will start all of my vitamins/minerals then. Because I'm already constipated, I'm trying to be proactive and do what I can to counteract additional constipation from the upcoming calcium and iron. I will definitely ask the surgeon and dietitian for their thoughts, but this board seems more helpful than they have been so far for supplementation and diet :0

Thanks! I have my surgeon appointment on Tuesday. I have definitely had issues with constipation since about Day 4. On Tuesday I will 2 weeks out and from the handouts they've given us, it looks like I will start all of my vitamins/minerals then. Because I'm already constipated, I'm trying to be proactive and do what I can to counteract additional constipation from the upcoming calcium and iron. I will definitely ask the surgeon and dietitian for their thoughts, but this board seems more helpful than they have been so far for supplementation and diet :0

Right, and constipation early out can mean an obstruction. This is why it is worth making a phone call. Do not wait until Tuesday, give him/her a call.

What's your definition of constipation? Not pooping or hard stool that rips you up on its way out? I wasn't allowed anything other than clear liquids for 10 days, then 10 days of "full" liquids, then 10 days of "softs". I think I can count on one hand the number of times I pooped in the first month, mostly soft stuff or diarrhea. I pooped twice in the first 2 weeks. There wasn't much going in to come out! At the end of the first month I started vitamins and calcium (all surgeons are different; mine said wait a month as we all have reserves) and attempted "real" food. THAT'S when I was getting hard stool and started 3x colace 100mg (generic docusate sodium). I still take these every day. Wait, are you eating solid food already?

BTW opiates cause dreadful constipation and it can take a week once one stops them for things to get back to normal. You're only 2 weeks out.

If you're still on liquids and have hard painful poop, perhaps as settledownnow recommends you should call MD.

(Who will probably tell you to take docusate sodium. haha)

Latest posts

Back