1. Please review your surgery details found under your profile.
  2. We have many with MIA Avatars. If you are missing yours, please reload it. Use a browser you normally do not use to check. List is in Announcements: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/missing-avatars.5131/

Coffee/Caffeine question

Discussion in 'Duodenal Switch' started by writegirl, Jun 16, 2017.

writegirl

writegirl Work in Progress

I'm curious: How long did you wait after surgery before you started drinking high test (caffeinated) coffee? I am okay with giving up food, half my stomach, and nutrient absorption, but I am having a helluva hard time with the idea of giving up coffee for the long term (or any term). I've been down to one half-caff a day and drinking only decaf after that. Since I have surgery on Monday, today is the last day I drank the half-caff and I will go full Monty decaf through the weekend. Is this my life now? Do we have to stick to decaf forever? Maybe I am overthinking this and I won't even want coffee post-op, but I doubt that.

Munchkin

Munchkin Full of Fairy Dust

I had coffee in the hospital. As long as you are drinking enough fluids, don't worry about it. Coffee is a slight diuretic, as is tea, but your body is used to it and the effect is constant. I drink my coffee now with HWC and splenda. Still wonderful!

writegirl likes this.
    writegirl

Wow--how did you talk them into giving you coffee in the hospital? Or did a family member smuggle it in? lol. I share your thinking on the effects of coffee. I have been drinking strong coffee since I was a 14 years old. I can't picture life without it. Seems like there are a lot of WLS people who want to freak out others over the caffeine, but I don't think it's going to effect me the way it effects some. I'm feeling rebellious. If I feel up to sipping it, I may just forgo the whole decaf thing and go with the high test.

southernlady

southernlady Administrator Staff Member

Don't expect to get coffee in the hospital with Boyce. I did wait til I was a month out to add coffee.

writegirl likes this.
    writegirl

Yeah, I got the impression that coffee is a no-no with Boyce lol. I am sure I won't really even want it (or much of anything) at first. I may wait a month too just to be on the safe side.

Munchkin

I didn't ask for it! It came on my tray.

writegirl likes this.
    writegirl

If it comes on my tray, I may try it, if I can keep anything down. We shall see. I am more nervous for the aftermath of surgery than the surgery, if that makes sense.

galaxygrrl

galaxygrrl Well-Known Member

Well, the first day after surgery is horrible. The next few days are a little less every day. After a week it's OK. Really, it's OK. Remember, we all made it through it.

I've been drinking caffine since about month 3. I have a cup of coffee in the morning and about 3 ice teas thoughout the day.

writegirl likes this.
    DianaCox

DianaCox Bad Cop

I am a strong, good coffee snob/addict (Starbux French Roast currently). Made from ground beans for the last 40+ years. Half of the post-op pain meds were for the caffeine headache I had. Rabkin didn't have a prohibition on coffee or caffeine post-op. After a couple of weeks, I had my husband bring me coffee in the morning - and due to the super-sniffer effects of anesthesia, I almost barfed at the smell of it.

Two months later, all was well, and I haven't stopped since.

writegirl likes this.
    Munchkin

Don't borrow trouble! I never threw up and lots of others don't either!

writegirl likes this.
    Susan in Tennessee

Susan in Tennessee Well-Known Member

My first day wasn't horrible! Yours was, but not all are the same.

galaxygrrl

galaxygrrl Well-Known Member

Totally fair, hope you have a great first day writegirl. :)

writegirl likes this.
    CaraOC

CaraOC Credentialed Bitch

I never barfed once!! I just had a long time getting past the dizzy exhaustion. Lots of naps worked well.

writegirl likes this.
    southernlady

southernlady Administrator Staff Member

I'm over 6 years out and only came close to barfing twice. Once was a month after and I slimed. Then about three years out I had an off day and slimed again. First was cause I ate too fast and too much. Second time NO CLUE as it had been over 2 hours since I had anything.

writegirl likes this.
    Settledownnow

Settledownnow Well-Known Member

For me, coffee was not permitted until month 3. After that is was coffee with lots of heavy cream - yummy! I did have serious caffeine withdrawal headaches for the first week or two after surgery.

writegirl likes this.