Chewable Calcium okay for DS?

Stefanie S.

So I'm already not liking all of the Citracal pills... 7-8 per day. At our class they let us try a chewable calcium that was good. I see it has palm oil though (which I hate for many reasons), but is that going to block some absorption? Here's the label:

upload_2017-4-1_15-21-31.png

I use Bariatric Advantage's tablets. The only flavor I can tolerate is the cherry. I chew them or let them dissolve. Have you ever laughed so hard something came out of your nose? Sometimes when I chew, there's a little burst of powder that tickles my nose, but it has never come out.

I use both the tablets (chew or dissolve in mouth, as above) and the chews. They do contain some sugar alcohols, so you'll have to see if that gives you trouble. I use them because I can't swallow large pills.

So I'm already not liking all of the Citracal pills... 7-8 per day. At our class they let us try a chewable calcium that was good. I see it has palm oil though (which I hate for many reasons), but is that going to block some absorption? Here's the label:

View attachment 1338
Wanted to use them early on but couldn't handle the sugar alcohols. Bought large bottles of chewable everything that I ended up giving away. Tried a liquid calcium as well with the same result. So just got used to the multiple large pills... Would suggest buying a small amount until you know if chewables will work for you. Good luck!

I use Jarrow Bone Up MCHA (3 per day formula). I take six to get 2,000 mg and I should take more because Dr K is recommending 3,000 mg of calcium daily, but 2,000 is all I can do now on most days. The are big but capsules so no problem choking them down. The main reason I use them is that they don't bloat and constipate me like Calcium Citrate does.

I shopped around pretty hard for the least expensive place to buy the chewable calcium. This the least expensive place i found. www.vitacost.com and here is a coupon for 12% off. 12SPRING it expires on Tuesday

I use Jarrow Bone Up MCHA (3 per day formula). I take six to get 2,000 mg and I should take more because Dr K is recommending 3,000 mg of calcium daily, but 2,000 is all I can do now on most days. The are big but capsules so no problem choking them down. The main reason I use them is that they don't bloat and constipate me like Calcium Citrate does.
Thank you for this! I feel bloated almost daily - figured it was just part of the surgery? But reading that Calcium Citrate might be the cause gives me some home.

I shopped around pretty hard for the least expensive place to buy the chewable calcium. This the least expensive place i found. www.vitacost.com and here is a coupon for 12% off. 12SPRING it expires on Tuesday
Thank you! YES, the Bariatric Advantage that I just ordered are very, very expensive. They are much cheaper on the site you shared. THANK YOU!

Latest posts

Back