Charris is out of the acute care hospital, but...

Spiky Bugger

...the rehab (nursing home) is going to kill her. Breakfast was ONE slice of bacon and a burnt bagel.

How should you/I/all of us help her?

I know WE can send her gifts of protein rich stuff...but the facility needs instruction. They are getting paid to feed her correctly. They should do that.* She says the doctor gets it! But...so far...the kitchen doesn’t. She wants to give them a chance...but...she will probably need back up.

So I’m puttin’ all-of-y'all on BUSYBODY STANDY ALERT.

CONSIDER YOURSELVES ALERTED!!!

*Full disclosure: this was written by a cranky woman who ACCIDENTALLY knocked over the two full glasss of orange juice that were served to my diabetic mother who, in the throes of dementia, demanded two glasses of oj AFTER I GOT HER DOCTOR TO ORDER NO FRUIT JUICES. I told them that I hoped that my sister and I wouldn’t have a similar accident the next day...and the day after that and so on.

Are they at least giving her Boost or something similar 3x per day? When she went into ICU her protein was already low.

the facility needs instruction. They are getting paid to feed her correctly. They should do that.* She says the doctor gets it! But...so far...the kitchen doesn’t.
as bad as nursing can be, food service in nursing homes tends to be worse. can't tell you how many "diabetic" meals I've seen served that were NOTHING but simple carbs.

she needs an advocate for sure, but in person would be easier. I will try to think of something we can do from a distance but nothing comes to mind tonight.

ETA: the doctor needs to ORDER ensure or whatever, I know that. I guess a doctor can write an order for other things, too. such as larger portions, add this or that to each meal.

it still might be a challenge getting the food but with a doctor's order you have more clout when complaining that you didn't get it. and then the doctor can complain, they will pay more attention to that. hopefully.

isn't this sad?! :mad:

I think I should order an Amazon delivery for ready-to-drink protein drinks and maybe some snacks...like jerky or cheese puffs or something.

Any suggestions?

I’ve never done any of those Instacart (or whatever it is) deliveries for groceries. Have any of y’all?

I don’t know about Charris, but when I need protein, I get downright cranky, wander around, manically eating anything in sight, and eventually I figure out that it’s protein that I’m craving.

I’ve never done any of those Instacart (or whatever it is) deliveries for groceries. Have any of y’all?
my roommate does clicklist from King Soopers but still has to drive there and they deliver it to her car.

amazon pantry delivers groceries to some places, I know Phoenix is one.

Most grocery stores have same-day delivery and she can get an assortment of protein as well as some prepared foods.

What city is she in? Safeway in Phoenix has same-day delivery.

She needs a face to face with the hospital dietician. Don’t even try to explain the DS, just call it short gut syndrome. That seems to click the lightbulb on in their head.

Knowing I was spending a night in the hospital for back surgery a few years ago, I asked to speak to the dietician ahead of time and used short gut to explain why I needed protein, fat, and very little carbs. Small hospital in western NC and she still understood it.

Most grocery stores have same-day delivery

I saw an ad that even walmart is delivering groceries now, some places

She needs a face to face with the hospital dietician

she is in a nursing home, not a hospital. they have a dietitian (who likely has multiple buildings) but her ordering certain food doesn't make the kitchen follow those orders.

someone - I think her doctor - needs to make the people in charge of the nursing home care/be afraid enough to MAKE the kitchen do it. this won't be easy.

I can order a protein care package from Safeway (or another grocery store) with shelf-stable proteins, protein drinks, and a few snack/treats if someone will PM her info. Also, let me know if she has any likes/dislikes (if you know). I am not sure about ordering fresh foods from the grocery store due the heat though. No telling how long the food might sit in a delivery vehicle and then sit at the NH desk.

We could also send her a dinner from Gruh hub or Uber Eats!

Latest posts

Back