Changes?

So, I think today is my last day with the fruit juice. I am feeling SO MUCH better now. I actually have energy and don't feel like curling into a ball and crying every time I move. I go this afternoon to get my ketones tested again to make sure I am out of ketosis.

Do you want or need to be totally out of ketosis?
Forgive my ignorance on this...ketoacidosis is not something I know anything about.

Forgive my ignorance on this...ketoacidosis is not something I know anything about.

I do not want to be totally out of ketosis - according to my nutritionist, there is a sweet spot in ketosis where you really drop the pounds and that is what everyone strives for. I want to be out of Starvation Ketosis. The Starvation Ketosis was what was causing many of my symptoms and general ickiness. I added some fruit juice for a couple of days and now that I am out of the Starvation Ketosis, I will take away the fruit juice and just add an extra serving of fruit or starch each day so I stay in ketosis, but not the starvation stage.

Yay me! I overcame that hurdle. Now to start dropping weight again.

Ketoacidosis is different from ketosis. Ketoacidosis is the dangerous state that diabetics can develop and DIE from.
Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a buildup of acids in your blood. It can happen when your blood sugar is too high for too long. It could be life-threatening, but it usually takes many hours to become that serious. You can treat it and prevent it, too.

What Causes DKA?
It usually happens because your body doesn't have enough insulin. Your cells can't use the sugar in your blood for energy, so they use fat for fuel instead. Burning fat makes acids called ketones and, if the process goes on for a while, they could build up in your blood. That excess can change the chemical balance of your blood and throw off your entire system.

People with type 1 diabetes are at risk for ketoacidosis, since their bodies don't make any insulin. Your ketones can also go up when you miss a meal, you're sick or stressed, or you have an insulin reaction.

Ketosis is what a person is trying to achieve when on a high protein, high fat, low carb diet.
"Ketosis" is a word you'll probably see when you're looking for information on diabetes or weight loss. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? That depends.

Ketosis is a normal metabolic process, something your body does to keep working. When it doesn't have enough carbohydrates from food for your cells to burn for energy, it burns fat instead. As part of this process, it makes ketones.

If you're healthy and eating a balanced diet, your body controls how much fat it burns, and you don't normally make or use ketones. But when you cut way back on your calories or carbs, your body will switch to ketosis for energy. It can also happen after exercising for a long time and during pregnancy. For people with uncontrolled diabetes, ketosis is a sign of not using enough insulin.

Ketosis can become dangerous when ketones build up. High levels lead to dehydration and change the chemical balance of your blood.

Latest posts

Back