Changes?

GirlFriday

Enjoying the journey
Ok - So I am a little over three weeks out from my DS.
I have been experiencing some weird body changes, and I want to know if they are normal or if I am panicking. I go for my follow up on Monday so I need to know if anyone else has experienced this before I bring them up. I will bring them up to the doctor, I just want some info to go with me.

1. My glasses are too strong. They used to be just right, but ever since surgery, I can barely see out of them because they are just too strong.
2. I am having skin sensitivity to things that I never did before. Like, I have always had to be careful what soaps and detergents I use, but now, it seems as though my skin is hypersensitive. My favorite lotion (which I have used for years) is causing a breakout.
3. On the other hand, my mild acne has completely cleared up.
4. OMG the insomnia. I have not been able to sleep for more than four hours at once (other than my first day back at work) since the surgery. I am a mess. I may not even be typing in English, I am so tired.

Many of my tastes have completely changed and those changes are weird (pineapple now tastes like potting soil, coffee tastes like bananas), but did anyone experience any other body changes after surgery?

Sorry to hear what's been going on. The adjustment period can be rough. I can answer yes to number 4. I couldn't sleep more than 4 hours for the first 6 mos. or so. A theory I was told regarding this was as follows: you had the same stomach all of your life. All of a sudden you have a totally new stomach & intestines making all sorts of different sounds. Your brain isn't used to those sounds yet. It needs some time to 'hear' them as normal.

The eye thing; yes! My OD says he's seen it in other WLS patients. The taste thing as well. Welcome to the state of Post Op Weirdness.

Your blood pressure and intraocular pressure may have changed, resulting in changes in your vision.
Skin stuff - related to hormone changes.
Insomnia - not sure, but it's common.
Taste change is anesthesia, hormones, blood sugar - it's all weird and STAYS weird, although the individual issues are constantly variable. I couldn't stand the smell of coffee for two months - that was AWFUL! But that fortunately went away.

In regards to #1. Very common. The eyeball changes shape as you lose the fat pads around the socket, what Diana said, and lower blood sugar can lead to the resolution of diabetic retinopathy as well. Even if you didn't know you had it!

So, I went in for my first follow up for the surgery and one of the first things mentioned was my eyesight. At the mention of my vision changing, I was whisked away for a blood and urine test. I was then told that all of the things that I am experiencing are from Starvation Ketosis.
My diet had to be completely adjusted so I don't get any worse.

How was your diet changed?? Ketosis is what most new post-ops AIM for, to maximize weight loss.

I was told to add 16 ounces of fruit juice to my daily intake, one extra serving of a starch, and one extra serving of fruit per day.
Ketosis is one thing, but I am in Starvation Ketosis and my body is turning on itself. I was told that this explained all of my symptoms from fatigue to the extra dry skin to the vision changes. It is day one of the added carbs and I am feeling a little better.

That seems - extreme. It shouldn't take that much additional carbs to get into the "right" zone. But I'm not sure (and I don't do ketosis at all).

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/11/30/Ketosis-Measuring-Ketones
image.axd

I was told to add 16 ounces of fruit juice to my daily intake, one extra serving of a starch, and one extra serving of fruit per day.
Ketosis is one thing, but I am in Starvation Ketosis and my body is turning on itself. I was told that this explained all of my symptoms from fatigue to the extra dry skin to the vision changes. It is day one of the added carbs and I am feeling a little better.

Yikes...I'm glad I don't have that issue and had a doctor tell me to do that cause I would have said...not gonna happen.
That's a LOT of carbs they are having you add.

I hope you are feeling a bit better. I had fruit juice and carbs whilst in hospital to keep me from your issues. One I was a month out I slowly weened back into ketosis and learned that my body doesn't cope well at all with ketosis or LCHF (in the minus 50 carbs sense). Once you level out and are healthy you will need to work with your macros (carbs, protein, and fat) to find what your body needs to shed the weight.

As for the taste changes...yes. Majorly. Nothing tastes awesome. Nothing. Post VSG I still had tastes and things were orgasmically good. Now? Not so much. I've had one foodgasm post DS and it was a piece of cheesecake at a local pub. That was 6 months ago. Food is no longer enjoyable and just a source of nutrition. I kinda like it now that I'm used to it as it's not like a drug anymore.

Insomnia has always been an issue for me thanks to bipolar issues, but I have heard people who have never struggled with it pre op have it chronically post op.

Things could change next month for you though, so hold tight. :) Good luck!

Latest posts

Back