Changes since emergency surgery

DS fan

I am becoming more frustrated and concerned about the function of my duodenal switch. My bowel movements, gas and weight loss have dramatically changed.

6 weeks ago I had an emergency repair for an internal hernia bowel obstruction. Immediately following the surgery I was of course bloated and my bowels were slow. Within 10 days of surgery all the excess fluids were gone and I lost an additional 17 pounds as well. It was like I had a new DS. If I was carb bad I would wake up early morning to use the bathroom. Lots of pudding type poop. Normal for higher fat and carbs.

Just shy of 3 weeks post op my bowels slowed and I delevoped abdominal pain and a high fever. Worried I had a kink I went to the ER and was diagnosed with a kidney infection.
I've been fighting this kidney infection for 3 weeks now. I'm on my 3rd week of antibiotics this round I also had a shot in my rear to boost the dose.

My weight loss has not only slowed but I am gaining. I've GAINED 5 pounds since Thursday.
There's an absence of what I would call MY normal DS habits, gas smell from eating carbs, bathroom trips from eating carbs, softer stools after upping fats. Within 5-10 minutes of waking my colon use to be ready to empty everything from the day before typically within 2 trips. I've tried many things good and bad habits to test the water over the last three weeks and it's like the DS went into hibernation.

I've added a probiotic. My research said I could have rid my body of the good and bad in my gut with all the antibiotics.

I'm frustrated and concerned but it seems none of my doctors are like I am so I'm here to ask the experts their opinions.

The last CT scan done showed no blockage that was done 3 weeks ago when I was diagnosed with kidney infection.

Thank you for any feed back.

I don't think your DS will be back to normal till you are done with the antibiotics. The probiotics are a good idea!
Thank you for the reply. It's like it went into hibernation! Things that would cause peel the paint off the walls gas or make my husband say was that you or the dog are not.

I am passing gas but no odor.

How long does it take for a probiotic to work ?

As long as you are on the antibiotics, the probiotics are just fighting to keep up. I would guess you should take the probiotics for a week or 10 days after you are done with the antibiotics. Some people take them forever.

Thank you. I really appreciate your responses. I thought I'd see more responses to this. I can't be the only one lol then again I'm kinda weird when it comes to medical stuff ! Lol

Which probiotic are you taking & how often?

You also might need a course(s) of Flagyl when you're finished with the antibiotic.

Antibiotics = dead bacteria = little bacterial odor, no? My hunch is that as soon as your intestinal flora repopulates you'll get that ol' familiar stench back.

Which probiotic are you taking & how often?

You also might need a course(s) of Flagyl when you're finished with the antibiotic.
I bought sundown probiotic balance I'm taking it 2 times a day. Just bought it yesterday and ordered probio 5.

I was told by a friend to try bio k plus.

Antibiotics = dead bacteria = little bacterial odor, no? My hunch is that as soon as your intestinal flora repopulates you'll get that ol' familiar stench back.
I haven't missed it if I'm being honest but when I tried to make it happen and it didn't and continues not to it made me go hmmmmmmm

This is why we use a round of flagyl plus probiotics when our stank gets out of control. I have often enjoyed the freedom from stench for a few days or weeks after a round of ABX for something else (like a UTI or URI), but it eventually comes back. Probiotics that keep the gut populated with the better bacteria can keep the stink down too.

Isn't flagyl an antibiotic??
Yes. But for us it helps to regulate the bacteria that's gone out of whack from other antibiotics.

I took antibiotics in January and had to take a good deal of Flagyl [and probiotics] and patience to get back to my normal self.

Last edited:
This is why we use a round of flagyl plus probiotics when our stank gets out of control. I have often enjoyed the freedom from stench for a few days or weeks after a round of ABX for something else (like a UTI or URI), but it eventually comes back. Probiotics that keep the gut populated with the better bacteria can keep the stink down too.
Mines not out of control it is gone. No smell.... I pass gas but No odor. Even from a cheat of birthday cake.

This is why I questioned the adding of flagyl

Yes. But for us it helps to regulate the bacteria that's gone out of whack from other antibiotics.

I took antibiotics in January and had to take good deal of Flagyl [and probiotics] and patience to get back to my normal self.
Did you happen to gain any weight while on the antibiotics?

Not That I recall.

However, the Flagyl did kind of reset my DS. It became easier to lose weight after I took it. Some DSers take it a few times a year (or yearly) to kind of get their system functioning properly. I should, but I just never remember.

You're also such a new DSer that things are still changing inside of you. I'm a grizzled vet. Everything has pretty much settled in.:cool:

Latest posts

Back