Carb sensitivity - hidden carbs

star0210

This is a post I made on a few of the DS FB groups. Thought I would share here too.

Ya'll see me say all the time how carb sensitive I am. Some of you might think I'm exaggerating or paranoid or whatever. I've posted before how last summer before my revision I gained 15 lbs just from adding fruit to my diet.
Well, just to show you HOW sensitive I am to carbs and how they affect my weight loss, I thought I'd share this.
Week before last I cut out the powdered non dairy creamer I have always used in my coffee and switched to HWC. I knew there were carbs in my creamer, but what I didn't realize was just how much of it I was using. 1tsp=1g carbs. I was using a LOT as I'm a big coffee drinker. I had tried HWC a few times before but just didn't like it...and then I realized I was just putting too much. I prob use less than a tablespoon per cup and it's great.
So going back to March 1. (There's a weekly weigh in thread on Bariatric Facts that I post in every week to help me stay on track) so I'm pulling these numbers from there.
March 1 - 171
March 8 - 169.9
March 15 - 168
March 22 - 169
March 29 - didn't weigh
April 5 - 167
April 12 - 165
April 19 - 166
April 26 - 166 CUT OUT THE CREAMER
May 3rd - 163.8
Today 161.8

Cutting out that powdered non dairy creamer is the only thing I've changed. This has been my biggest drop since those very first few weeks after surgery.

My weight in yesterday was 160.9.

that is a nice weight loss with a small change, we are all different and I am glad you found what was causing you the issues.

Good science, observation, cause and effect analysis etc. Curious though....how many carbs do you think the old creamer was adding up to in a day? What do you limit your carbs to per day? Weird thing about me (one of many), post DS that is....I used to be real carb sensitive too and now it seems to have the opposite effect. I still stay way under 50, but there are times when I want to break through what I think is a "Mini-stall" and I eat anything I want followed by an eat almost nothing day and it gets me back losing again, real weird! Got that advice from @hilary1617 and @SHales. I wasn’t eating enough.

I’m SURE you’ve tried this, but have you ever had a “screw it, I’m going to eat anything I want day” Post DS? Anyway, good job, I know your happy to have found it!

BTW, 4 lbs is 2.4% of 166 and is some pretty good WL in a short time...and for me 2.4% would be the same as losing 6.7 lbs, jus saying, all relative #'s

Last edited:
Good science, observation, cause and effect analysis etc. Curious though....how many carbs do you think the old creamer was adding up to in a day? What do you limit your carbs to per day? Weird thing about me (one of many), post DS that is....I used to be real carb sensitive too and now it seems to have the opposite effect. I still stay way under 50, but there are times when I want to break through what I think is a "Mini-stall" and I eat anything I want followed by an eat almost nothing day and it gets me back losing again, real weird! Got that advice from @hilary1617 and @SHales. I wasn’t eating enough.

I’m SURE you’ve tried this, but have you ever had a “screw it, I’m going to eat anything I want day” Post DS? Anyway, good job, I know your happy to have found it!

BTW, 4 lbs is 2.4% of 166 and is some pretty good WL in a short time...and for me 2.4% would be the same as losing 6.7 lbs, jus saying, all relative #'s

I stay under 30 total grams per day...I was mentally adding creamer early on and keeping my carbs under 30g to allow for the creamer. But, then I started drinking more coffee again and being able to eat a little more. The creamer was the only thing I wasn't tracking or measuring in myfitnesspal. I guess before I stopped I was probably getting 15-20 extra grams of carbs.
So still staying under 50 or around 50....which might work for me when I get to maintenance but not to lose.

No I've never had a screw it eat whatever day....not yet. I've had a few days where I said screw it, I'm having a couple of bloody Mary's! Lol
Anytime I've had anything "cheat" I've accounted for it in my tracking and made it fit within my day's allowances. Except the two Bloody Mary days...I don't think I made those numbers work...but it wasn't terrible. Lol

Latest posts

Back