"But it was worth it" ... what is your "I don't care" indulgence?

DianaCox

Bad Cop
Almost everyone - post- or pre-op - has some food or drink that kills them afterwards, but to which they must succumb from time to time, no matter what the consequences. What is yours?

My son is laid up with a broken femur. He's taking a metric crap-ton of percoset, which is constipating him, and he isn't hungry much - and even when he is, he's kind of nauseated. I had a hambone in the freezer, some sliced ham that needed to be used, and bags of split peas - and he loves split pea soup, which has a good amount of fiber (and when fortified with ham, protein) in it. So I made a HEEUGE batch yesterday (only needed to buy baby carrots to finish it). And I of course could not NOT have some myself, even though pea soup kills me - I love split pea soup, especially my own.

I had three bowls over the course of the evening. That was not smart. By 9 PM I was a human motorboat, and it lasted most of the night. I even offended the cat.

And yet I'm struggling with my willpower to not have another bowl for second breakfast.

Last edited:
MMM. . .I love split pea soup! My indulgence of late, Kellogg's Raisin Bran cereal. I have it late at night so no one but me suffers the consequences.

Every now and then, I eat a bowl of cereal with milk. Pre-sweetened, like maple frosted Mini-Wheats. As effective as Golytely, but much better tasting.

I don't know how split pea soup affects me, yet I'm pretty sure it would be worth it. Loves me some split pea soup or any other soup with legumes.

Between my DS and my jaw surgeries, there isn't much I do eat that falls in that category. Closest I come is REAL ice cream...I can easily do frozen yogurt which I do but the real stuff...I pay for with a vengeance so I seldom indulge. I DID one time while on vacation this past summer when I needed a serious clean out cause of lack of fat.

Cheese puffs, massive amounts of popcorn, really it varies on how stuff reacts in my guts. I just eat whatever I want now...and hope for the best!

NY pizza & bagels (pizza I have prob 1ce or 2ce a year and bagels, usually a half of one per week that we freeze fresh and transport back to SC), and Krispy Kreme donuts that are farrrrr to easily accessible! They're my main weakness and I don't give a flying fuck about the consequences!

I eat ice cream even though it makes me feel bad if I eat more than a tiny bit....which I sometimes do

Last edited:
I drank half a 16oz daiquiri yesterday...basically the first sugar I've had since surgery. Horrible bloating and gas and the very first diarrhea I've had.
Would I do it again??? Ehhhh not anytime soon!

I have been eating lots of stuff that is probably not good for me but with all the shit in my life the last year I just don't care I eat a bowl of frosted mini wheats, cinnamon toast crunch or raisin brain with half and half several nights a week. At work I often get a bran muffin and on occasion pop tarts. Today we went through the drive through at Culver's and I got a snickers Concrete Mixer (use the vanilla custard) and I just went to the store to pick up a loaf of oat nut bread so I also picked up a package of creme horns of which I shall have one tonight or tomorrow night with a cup of coffee.

Any home made soup like chili, vegetable beef or ham and beans...I am like Dianna and I will have numerous bowls ...sometimes hurts and sometimes doesn't.

Watermelon. With lots of salt. I poop pink water for a day. It's awesome, delicious and since it's mostly water, I can have more later ;) It's so odd, I can eat a banana, candy bar, ice cream (that's a new addition and I do get flatulent), cake all the things that are supposed to kill us with little or no consequence, but watermelon...I'll eat it anyway. Thank goodness it's not always in season LOL

Lemon Bars. I'm picky about them...there has to be just the right amount of "lemon-ness," so I don't eat them often, and I rarely indulge away from home because of the issues they give me, but if it is a good lemon bar (my boss mom makes divine ones, as does the small bakery where I grew up in California)? I can't resist!

I've never had split pea soup in my life.
:eek: How can that be?? It is just so much creamy savory goodness (plus mine is full of chopped ham and baby carrots). But, I guess if you can live without it, because you don't know what you are missing, not tempting the fart gods is probably a good idea.

Latest posts

Back