Blood Transfusion?

Kristaz

OK so we got my preop bloodwork back and my iron and hemoglobin level is very low. Dr K said that an iron infusion at this point will not be effective in time for surgery so I will need to do a blood transfusion him with this kind of weirds me out. Any advice? Anyone else had to do this?

I know that he does not routinely require such things. And I know that he prefers that his patients survive surgery. So...sounds like your only options are to wait quite a while for infusions to kick in or go with the transfusion.

If I recall...and I may be wrong because it's been over ten years...he wanted me off my diuretics for a bit pre-op. I whined and he explained that post-op, he could easily treat edema, but it was harder to "fix" a dehydrated post-op patient. (May not have been him. Could have been another surgeon. But either way, I cooperated and survived.)

Good luck with your decision.

I know that he does not routinely require such things. And I know that he prefers that his patients survive surgery. So...sounds like your only options are to wait quite a while for infusions to kick in or go with the transfusion.

If I recall...and I may be wrong because it's been over ten years...he wanted me off my diuretics for a bit pre-op. I whined and he explained that post-op, he could easily treat edema, but it was harder to "fix" a dehydrated post-op patient. (May not have been him. Could have been another surgeon. But either way, I cooperated and survived.)

Good luck with your decision.
Very True! Due to insurance reasons I don't have the time to wait so transfusion it is.

A transfusion really is not a big deal even if it seems scary. As Sue says, you definitely don't want to get dead during surgery so if Dr K say you need it then by all means you need it. I trust him with my life and he is right that you need to get your anemia under control. BTW, how low is your hemoglobin?

I forgot the exact date so when are you going to have surgery? It is possible I may be heading to see the good Dr soon so if we are out there at the same time I will swing by and say hello.

and just in case any of you think I am a pain in the ass, well just today Dr K told me that in fact I am not a pain in the ass. He doesn't lie, so he has spoken and I am not an ass!!!!!! :p

A transfusion really is not a big deal even if it seems scary. As Sue says, you definitely don't want to get dead during surgery so if Dr K say you need it then by all means you need it. I trust him with my life and he is right that you need to get your anemia under control. BTW, how low is your hemoglobin?

I forgot the exact date so when are you going to have surgery? It is possible I may be heading to see the good Dr soon so if we are out there at the same time I will swing by and say hello.

and just in case any of you think I am a pain in the ass, well just today Dr K told me that in fact I am not a pain in the ass. He doesn't lie, so he has spoken and I am not an ass!!!!!! :p
Surgery is next Friday. So I get into town Wednesday and will be there until the following Friday.

Hemoglobin was 8.8

Surgery is next Friday. So I get into town Wednesday and will be there until the following Friday.

Hemoglobin was 8.8
I thought it was soon so I won't be able to get out there that quickly if I do make it out. It would have been nice to meet you, but I am so happy you are getting this done quickly and by the best Dr , in all respects who you will ever meet. I really do love that man like a brother and would do anything I could to help him if he ever needed anything.

8.8 hemoglobin is quite low so I understand the concern. I am anemic but my hemoglobin is 10 and hematocrit low 30's. Had you been told before that you were anemic or is this new?

BTW I am non iron deficient anemic from nutritional issues not low iron. Iron is actually one thing I don't have to supplement.

Good luck with the blood transfusion. I know it sounds scary and kinda weird but it will totally be worth it.

8.8 is very low.
I've had blood transfusions. All blood and blood products are routinely screened for the AIDS virus and for hepatitis. And of course they will type and cross match to make sure the blood is compatible with your blood type. I know it sound scary and there is still some low level of risk with every procedure, but it's lower risk than going into major surgery with severe anemia.

8.8 is very low.
I've had blood transfusions. All blood and blood products are routinely screened for the AIDS virus and for hepatitis. And of course they will type and cross match to make sure the blood is compatible with your blood type. I know it sound scary and there is still some low level of risk with every procedure, but it's lower risk than going into major surgery with severe anemia.
Yeah. I know it needs to happen. Just scary... My grandfather got hepatitis c from a blood transfusion (granted it was in the 50's) but still make me a little nervous.

@Kristaz I understand about your grandfather. Thankfully, transfusions are vastly safer nowadays than they were back then - as you already know. So it's scary, but you will be ok.

Latest posts

Back