Any help please

Plrich

Hello, I'm a past roux en y patient of the St. Vincent Carmel group. My surgery date was Sept. 2003. Everything went very well until 2009. I lost my desired weight, keeping up with exercise and all so I thought. After a certain time I was told I didn't need to come back. Was not even told to keep up with blood work. Then my common bile started in. Was put on hold because i had to have a ERCP, which was difficult for bariatric patients. Long story short I had to have it done in 2009 and almost died. After surviving the first one I've had to have 2 more. The last one was emergency removal of 3 gum ball size stones from my duct and a 30 pound weight gain in 6 months. I also have vitamin b-12, iron and vitamin d issues, fibromyalgia, and nerve damage. I have been through dietitian not any luck, begged for help from my bariatric surgeon who now acts like she doesn't even want to see me. I just don't know where to turn, or what I'm doing wrong.

Welcome @Plrich
You've done nothing wrong. Read, read, read ESP the vitamin and lab section.

Start by posting recent blood work as a new thread in that same section.

Our suggestions will depend on your actual lab values so when posting, include the lab range. Also include what brand and amount you are currently using.

Inman was your surgeon? That's a shame - she is considered one of the OK DS surgeons.

On the other hand, she is NOT a DS revision surgeon, so fuggedaboudher. You need a very specialized surgeon if you are looking at getting a DS revision, and that means travel.

It would help if you post some lab numbers. Off the top of my head and without that information, could you get your pcp to order B12 injections for you, which you can take in addition to the sublingual B12 to help get you caught up? B12 deficiency is a well known problem with gastric bypass, and can cause peripheral neuropathy that can become permanent if not treated. On the vitamin D issue, again I don't know your numbers, but people with the DS take the "dry" form of D because we don't absorb the regular forms (which are packed in oil, and we don't absorb fat well). You don't have a DS but you might give this a try anyway, as you may absorb it better than whatever you're taking now. You can order it through Vitalady or on Amazon, or from the manufacturer (bio-tech). The prescription D is packed in oil - might work for you, doesn't work well for DS'ers.

That's it, that's all I got without knowing numbers.

I am not surprised that your surgeon is done with you. Most surgeons want patients to follow-up with their PCP after a year.

Tell us more about what is going on so we can try to help. Is your PCP running your labs? Do you have the lab order for RNYers that Vitalady suggests? I am wondering if your nerve damage may be related to vit/min deficiencies.

As a former RNYer (2003), the advice I was given when I had my RNY was to take 2 Flintstone vitamins and get a B12 once in a while. The advice from surgeons and doctors on vit/min supplements is completely worthless. I became really ill due to vit/min deficiencies (including iron) and had to work to get my numbers back up. It can be done. It is really important that anyone who has bariatric surgery read, read, read, and be their own advocate when it comes to managing their health.

Let us know more about what is going on with your bloodwork and vit/min levels.

Did you have a distal RNY? Not all RNYs are the same, because the length of the Roux-limb (typically a range of 75-90 cm, but sometimes up to 150 cm) matters in terms of malabsorption risk. Bariatric surgeons, in my view, have a lifelong commitment to their patients. I am sorry you received such substandard care. Are you still in Indiana? Maybe someone here knows a nearby competent healthcare provider who can follow you?

Latest posts

Back