An Update...and Have a Few more Questions?

Many DSer men I've met lost their weight very quickly.

I had a similar thing when eating protein; esp. breakfast. I would be exhausted & need to lie down. Plus Diana's definitely right regarding the 30/60/90 thing. I couldn't have done that if I tried. I didn't make it to 50 till about the 7th month out. I had to drink a shake everyday for 2 years b/c I just couldn't get in my protein by eating. But the minute I could eat enough, the shakes were history! It just illustrates how different we all are. :)

Last edited:
Rob I just left my 3 month checkup and I'm down 121lbs total. Actually looking at the dates it's more like 4 months but still happy

HOLY SHIT!!! Thats INCREDIBLE! Thats around a pound per day. Congratulations my friend!

Hey peeps, I wanted to give an update and post a few new questions I have also. Today is day 19. I have lost 21 lbs post op, 37 total, 16 pre-op. That’s 1.1 lbs per day. That sounds to me to be a little excessive. The weight is lierally falling off me. Should I be concerned? (Question #1). (I never thought I’d be actually saying that)! Looks like @Munchkin just may be right…lol

Heck no you shouldn't be concerned..celebrate it and enjoy it while it lasts!

My energy level has NOT diminished. I have an overabundance of energy. As I said, in my previous posts, my metabolism instantly changed after surgery and I am NOT used to it. I thought this maybe a temporary thing, but that does not appear to be the case. Because of that, I am having an unexpected and competely set of different challenges that I did NOT anticipate and never thought I would have and am having to “re-think” what I had prepared for. So, here goes....Sleep….I can’t get over 5 or 6 hours of sleep, just am not tired? (Question #2).

It took a few weeks for me to get back into a normal sleeping routine. As long as you don't feel sleep deprived, I wouldn't worry about it. I did take melatonin for a few weeks before bed to help me get to sleep.

Protein: I know you guys say 30/60/90 on the protein, but because my recovery has been so quick and I’m getting so much activity, I had to bump that way up a couple days ago because I was feeling “washed out” and fatigued, but yet NOT tired, a very weird feeling. I increased it and am now taking in 45g with the shake and eating another 30g or so throughout the day with actual food, i.e., eggs, chicken, cheese etc. I also added a slice or two of whole wheat bread hoping that would slow the WL a little. Is it ok to increase my protein intake like I just did? (Question # 3).

Eat as much as you can handle. I would ditch the bread and stick to protein. If you want to add a bit of carbs, have some veggies.

Also, EVERY single time after I consume protein, I go down REALLY hard. I get SOO tired and sometimes have to take a 10-15 min nap. The crash itself lasts for about 30-60 minutes. Is that normal or could something else be wrong? (Question #4).

This happens to me occasionally too..I don't know what that's about but when it happens it's pretty severe. Like all I can do to keep my eyes open for a while.

I am planning to go back to work 1 week from Monday and am just trying to get myself leveled out before I go. This total CRASHING after protein intake thing has me worried the most, especially if I’m at work. Thxs in advance for your help with my questions.

You're doing fabulous...just keep it up!!

Thanks ! According to the doc, I've lost 42% of my excess weight, wants me to aim for 55-60% EWL by June (6 Months).
AND to give you a perspective in how LW's differ...at 7 months, I had lost 100% of my excess weight but it was ONLY 68 lbs. At 4 months, it was only 48 lbs but that was 70% of my excess.

And that is exactly why we say compare percentages NOT pounds.

@robs477 1,2,3. You are on track and doing great! So happy for you!!! I'm happy for @chevtow too. You men are super lucky with the whole male metabolism thing (not to mention none of the whole monthly cycle nonsense!)

I crash after protein, too. I try to spread it out into smaller meals and try to balance it carefully with carbs. Sometimes I get shaky nonetheless and lie down or consume a bit of sugar so I don't faint.

I never needed more than 5 or 6 hours of sleep, used to pull all-nighters for work frequently, even post-DS, until the whole cancer nonsense. Now I can't get enough of this sleep stuff! I say, enjoy the extra time. I used to be the only one awake in my house for a few hours every day and used it for *me* time. I suggest you do the same. ;)

Keep up the awesome weight loss!

@robs477 1,2,3. You are on track and doing great! So happy for you!!! I'm happy for @chevtow too. You men are super lucky with the whole male metabolism thing (not to mention none of the whole monthly cycle nonsense!)

Thxs Hilary! Appreciate your well wishes and your perspective! Yeah, it’s still beyond amazing and weird to me that I actually (Instantly), got that male metabolism right after the surgery. You know that I never had it before. I am taking in twice the protein and calories as I did pre-op which due to malabsorption is exactly the same and am losing 1 pound per day and before it was 1 lb per week. At 500 or so absorbed calories per day that’s leaving me in a 3,000 calorie deficit per day which actually for the first time in my life reconciles with the standard accepted “Thermodynamic Formula” of which 3500 calories, (+/-) = 1 lb gained or lost. Truly amazing and I never expected that metabolic change, only the malabsorption benefit.

Heck no you shouldn't be concerned..celebrate it and enjoy it while it lasts!

It took a few weeks for me to get back into a normal sleeping routine. As long as you don't feel sleep deprived, I wouldn't worry about it. I did take melatonin for a few weeks before bed to help me get to sleep.

Eat as much as you can handle. I would ditch the bread and stick to protein. If you want to add a bit of carbs, have some veggies.

This happens to me occasionally too..I don't know what that's about but when it happens it's pretty severe. Like all I can do to keep my eyes open for a while.

You're doing fabulous...just keep it up!!

Thxs @star0210 !

When I was just a few months post-op, I commented about how when I entered all of my intake into MFP at the end of the day it would calculate what I should weigh at the end of 5 weeks. It was almost right on for a long time. I wondered why. Why, if I was malabsorbing about 60% of my calories? @Elizabeth N. pointed out that the surgery made me normal.

When I was just a few months post-op, I commented about how when I entered all of my intake into MFP at the end of the day it would calculate what I should weigh at the end of 5 weeks. It was almost right on for a long time. I wondered why. Why, if I was malabsorbing about 60% of my calories? @Elizabeth N. pointed out that the surgery made me normal.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, that’s EXACTLY what I was trying to say!!!! If a “normal” male my size was on 500-1000 calories a day diet, they should lose around 1 lb per day. The WLS made my metabolic math become NORMAL and that’s factoring in for the 50% protein malabsorption offset!! I’m so excited to be “Normal” (at least as far as that’s concerned) that I could just pee all over myself!!!!! :D

Latest posts

Back