An Update...and Have a Few more Questions?

robs477

Now an Angel in heaven
Hey peeps, I wanted to give an update and post a few new questions I have also. Today is day 19. I have lost 21 lbs post op, 37 total, 16 pre-op. That’s 1.1 lbs per day. That sounds to me to be a little excessive. The weight is lierally falling off me. Should I be concerned? (Question #1). (I never thought I’d be actually saying that)! Looks like @Munchkin just may be right…lol

My energy level has NOT diminished. I have an overabundance of energy. As I said, in my previous posts, my metabolism instantly changed after surgery and I am NOT used to it. I thought this maybe a temporary thing, but that does not appear to be the case. Because of that, I am having an unexpected and competely set of different challenges that I did NOT anticipate and never thought I would have and am having to “re-think” what I had prepared for. So, here goes....Sleep….I can’t get over 5 or 6 hours of sleep, just am not tired? (Question #2).

Protein: I know you guys say 30/60/90 on the protein, but because my recovery has been so quick and I’m getting so much activity, I had to bump that way up a couple days ago because I was feeling “washed out” and fatigued, but yet NOT tired, a very weird feeling. I increased it and am now taking in 45g with the shake and eating another 30g or so throughout the day with actual food, i.e., eggs, chicken, cheese etc. I also added a slice or two of whole wheat bread hoping that would slow the WL a little. Is it ok to increase my protein intake like I just did? (Question # 3).

Also, EVERY single time after I consume protein, I go down REALLY hard. I get SOO tired and sometimes have to take a 10-15 min nap. The crash itself lasts for about 30-60 minutes. Is that normal or could something else be wrong? (Question #4).

I am planning to go back to work 1 week from Monday and am just trying to get myself leveled out before I go. This total CRASHING after protein intake thing has me worried the most, especially if I’m at work. Thxs in advance for your help with my questions.

1) The 30/60/90 is a suggestion, not a hard and fast rule but many have issues getting in just 30 grams in the first month and feel like failures cause their surgeon INSISTS on 60 to start (mine is a culprit to this thinking)

2) Okay, so I am not weird after all. If I eat nothing but protein for a meal, I metabolize it way too fast and get sleepy and then shaky about an hour later. I HAVE to have a few carbs with it. A few is about 10-15.

3) Amount of sleep...each person is different here. If you are not in a sleep deficit with 5-6 hours, don't fret it.

the crashing thing sounds odd - I hope you it figured out - sounds like how I feel on sugar. WTH?

The weight is lierally falling off me. Should I be concerned?

you just had a DS? it's supposed to be falling off you. :geek:

shoot, it fell off me when I had a VSG - don't worry about that part.

1. Don't panic about the fast weight loss. You are not alone! I lost 36 pounds my first month. Things slowed down for me after that but, men lose faster and higher BMI's lose faster yet.

2. I have a terrible time sleeping!!!! I woke 7 times last night which is unfortunately, not unusual. I think most settle after a while.

3. The more the merrier.

4. I think that you are still healing and after a big protein meal your body is busy digesting. I am sure smarter people will chime in here though. Perhaps, smaller more frequent meals? How many grams of protein are you eating in a sitting?

Of course I was right. The man factor is powerful juju.

Seriously don't even think about slowing your loss till you reach goal. Take what you can get till then. It WILL slow down.

About the crash factor. Change something. The first thing I would change is smaller meals more often. Sounds like system overload to me.

You're losing just fine. 30/60/90 is a MINIMUM not maximum - eat what you can.

Sleeping 5-6 hrs is normal for me. If you can take a 20-30 min nap during your workday, that would be ideal.

You know the chestnut about how men only have enough blood to run one head at a time? Well, for a while post-op, you may only have enough blood to serve your stomach OR your brain. I'd add a few complex carbs/fiber too, not sugar. Or see if eating real food helps.

And shakes were never my friend. Eat more real food. As Diana said there is nothing wrong with doing BETTER than 30/60/90.

1. Don't panic about the fast weight loss. You are not alone! I lost 36 pounds my first month. Things slowed down for me after that but, men lose faster and higher BMI's lose faster yet.

2. I have a terrible time sleeping!!!! I woke 7 times last night which is unfortunately, not unusual. I think most settle after a while.

3. The more the merrier.

4. I think that you are still healing and after a big protein meal your body is busy digesting. I am sure smarter people will chime in here though. Perhaps, smaller more frequent meals? How many grams of protein are you eating in a sitting?

Hi @newanatomy , I have only been able to eat 2-3 ounces of anything at one time and that feels like a Thanksgiving dinner..lol. So that equates to between 15-20 grams or so twice a day plus the shake. I cant possibly eat anymore than that right now because Im so full. I think they gave me a teeny tiny sleeve?

Last edited:
@robs477 as the others said, seriously don't try to slow down your weight loss, you'll regret that later, but as far as saying 15-20 grams of protein/2 or 3 ounces of food, I actually feel like that's a lot for where you're at, that doesn't not equate to a tiny sleeve in my mind. A few spoonfuls, or a slice of American cheese was as much as I could get down at one time once I moved to soft solids, but I believe I was still on purées at that point.
Oh, and I had ridiculous trouble sleeping right after surgery and for a long time after. It was EXTREMELY frustrating, especially when the littlest thing would make me so tired. Melatonin helps a little, pot helped when I was absolutely DESPERATE :whistling:

Last edited:
Can't catch up to me, if you keep trying to slow that weight loss down :D

@chevtow , I PROMISE, I wont do anything to slow it down ;)! I just thought for sure I'd be the one that still didnt lose. I'm just not in familiar territory and am still in "Shock", but in a good way. What are you at for a - minus now?

Thxs all for the "sanity" check. As said, I'm on ground that I never expected and am trying to learn the new landscape.

@chevtow , I PROMISE, I wont do anything to slow it down ;)! I just thought for sure I'd be the one that still didnt lose. I'm just not in familiar territory and am still in "Shock", but in a good way. What are you at for a - minus now?
Almost every one of us is convinced that WE will be the one to break our DS. That we will be the oddball.

But if you follow the BAD advice of a nut, you might be. Example, there is a guy on FB that is a year out from his DS with Boyce/Williams...stopped losing. Then ran into me and other vets and started eating MUCH more fat, cut the carbs, and in one month, lost another 26 lbs in 6 weeks. The nut at that office had him on low fat...they were telling him that he was done. Apparently he WAS NOT cause he dropped quite a bit more and is far more satisfied with his eating now.

Latest posts

Back