Aging, and paying for our pasts, sucks

Spiky Bugger

Okay, so obesity is not a moral failing. But bags and bags of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (mine) and a teapoon of salt on every item on your plate and 4-6 teaspoons of sugar in every glass of iced tea (his), and a sufficient quantity of cartons of Marlboros (both) were part of our earlier "actions." And for every action...

Anyway, decades later, we spend way too much time visiting doctors.

~I'm still dealing with SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), not caused by the DS...because most people who suffer from this have not had the DS. But some of the factors that seem to be major contributors to SIBO (taking PPIs, gastric/intestinal surgery) are related to my post-op health issues and the other factors (aging and opioids) are just frosting on the cake.

~a couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with enough (55-60%) right coronary artery blockage to slow me down, but not enough to "qualify" for a stent to keep things open. So I had an echocardiogram last week and will have a nuclear stress test mañana to see if there are changes.

BUT THE IMPORTANT PART, to me, is that Mr. Sue seems to have an ejection fraction of a whopping 35%.

He is 64 years old and had a heart attack 17 years ago. That 35% is the dividing line between "moderate" and "severe" reduction, and makes him a more likely candidate for sudden cardiac arrest. Of course, not everyone in that category does suffer sudden cardiac arrest, but I get to fret anyway. Shit.

I'm way too whiney (and with the SIBO, relatively housebound) to be a widow (I married a younger man expecting that he'd bury me) and my daughter has enough bs to deal with without becoming my primary caregiver.

Anyway, regardless of WHY you eat the equivalent of bags of Reese's, or subsist on salt and sugar, or how often you light up...try to take good care of you in your remaining youth...because youth doesn't last forever but the logical consequences of behaviors seem to stick around forever.

Last edited:
Point taken.

Charles (and then I) took up smoking again over the last couple of months, to deal with the stress of him finally acknowledging his depression and getting the meds he needed to take adjusted to the point where he felt "normal-ish." We have promised each other to taper off over the next week. I don't get addicted to cigs, but I do like it, so I'll be annoyed to stop smoking again, but he will be grumpy. I will have to be insistent - he's already got evidence of very early stage emphysema, and I don't want to have either of us limited unnecessarily as we age. That includes getting exercise in moderation.

Health maintenance has been taking up an increasing percentage of our time these days. A necessary evil - but we need to do our part in NOT needing it.

Nice try, O Wise and Learned Women. I wouldn't have listened to you when I was younger. I have other problems with the worst being a deterioration of my inner ear balance functions leading me to a few falls and several near falls. Not a good thing with my osteoporosis. Hubs is falling with increasing frequency. I'd probably still be smoking if it wasn't for my body rebelling against it. After three attempts to quit, I unexplainably got ill at the smell of them. Mentally, I want them.

We can only hope that those younger than us can learn from our preaching, however I'm not too optimistic. I think it's the way our human brains are wired. We think we are invincible until we are affected.

Charles in his new shirt, created by my daughter at my suggestion from a photo on a gift bag Charles got 5+ years ago on his 60th birthday - he ran across it while going through the crap we moved here, and mentioned he wished he had a T-shirt with the pic, so when my daughter was here for Mother's Day, I got her to take a pic of the bag, and she sent it to a place that creates T-shirts from a photo.
19366378_10154757711391173_5412728661089163873_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back