Accountability - or just history - or envy - or vanity?

DianaCox

Bad Cop
One of the best days in my life was the day I weighed less than Charles - it happened in my first year post-DS. He's over 7" taller than me (used to be more, but he shrunk from 6'2" to 6' - he's very long in the torso, but my inseam is actually longer than his). At the time I had my DS, he was near 250 lbs - he is a Coke-a-holic, and right about the same time (2003) I had my DS, Coke Zero came out, and I was FINALLY able to get him to switch to Coke Zero (instead of full-strength Big Gulps - 3-5/day) - he lost 30+ lbs from switching soda in less time than I lost with my DS.

Since then, I've been well under him most of the time - until recently. This summer, he got (or noticed) diastasis recti - plus he has an enlarging umbilical hernia. His weight was around 215-220, and it's ALL in his gut - and he's got pre-diabetic blood work and some sleep apnea - and the surgeon said that they could fix the umbilical hernia, but it sure would be better if his gut didn't bulge out so far - and maybe he could get the (cosmetic) diastasis (and mons fat pad) fixed at the same time.

In September, he had both knees operated on - he was laid up for quite a while, and probably lost a lot of muscle, but - he's been drifting down since then. In the meantime, I've been drifting up a bit - and I have been incredibly lethargic and sessile. Since I work from home, some days I don't even get dressed.

A few weeks ago, he hit 201 - a few lbs less than me. I no longer weigh less than him. And I've drifted up about 3-5 lbs - I saw 210 again a few times in the last few weeks. I'm NOT happy - and not doing shit about it.

Today, he was working outside - we have a dumpster out front, and he's been moving junk out of the driveway and garage and basement - he does things and piles up the detritus and then gets a dumpster from time to time. He just weighed himself before taking a shower, and - 195. Less than he's been since his early 30s (30 years ago). I am proud of him - and feeling like shit about myself.

So, for the last couple of days, I've tried to use his new-found enthusiasm for DOING stuff to try to fuel my own physical activity. I've been doing some gardening, and shopping to make our outdoor space nicer for parties this summer - and being me, I of course overdid it. I was squatting, bending over and pulling weeds, carrying heavy stuff, spraying - and sad to say, I am ALREADY sore as can be. WHAT?? How could I have gotten this badly out of shape? This is UNACCEPTABLE!!

I'm 60. I can't let myself get physically old before my time. Use it or lose it. And goddamnit, he CAN'T weigh less than me!

Before my first (and only) round of reconstructive surgery in 2009, I got down to 169 and I felt WONDERFUL. I need to be back there again.

I'm not going to post consistently about what I eat or do - but I'm putting it out there - I need to be accountable to myself. For my health, not my weight - but being heavier and less STRONG and with less endurance is not the direction I want to go - it is time to change trajectory.

My labs and my health are good - I need my muscles and my weight to match.

And goddamnit, I "need" (psychologically) to (1) weigh under 200 and (2) to weigh less than Charles. Petty and vain, but yeah.

"I could never love anyone who didn't outrank me."

I always loved that line from MASH as spoken by Major Houlihan regarding her engagement to Lt. Col. Penobscot. I always said I could never love anyone who didn't outweigh me. That changed, though, as I surpassed my husband's weight by more than I care to say. I still weigh less than him by about 25 pounds. He could stand to lose about 20 pounds and the thought that I could once again outweigh him bothers me, even though he'd be much healthier. Hell, I don't even want to weight the same as him. Petty and vain, yeah, but I totally understand.

I totally get it too!

I always weighed more than my husband (he weighed freaking 165 when we met in college and I was in the 175 range...) so the day I weighed less than him was a huge celebration. Now I love feeling tiny next to him and that I can sit on his lap without feeling like I'm going to crush him to pieces.

I like weighing less than Mr. Sue, but right now it's like cheating because he was on Prednisone. And he's really going to have to battle to get THAT weight off.

you use whatever you need to...
But I feel bad for him. He never had a weight problem and meds for his other health issues made him have this one. He had a bit of a meltdown as we got dressed for one of my HS reunions back in November. I called our kid, who was closer, told her to go to Macy's, grab a light blue shirt and/or tie and a lavender shirt and tie, to go with a grey pinstripe suit...and maybe a black belt that was more forgiving...and we'd be there as soon as we could...and to be VERY kind to her daddy. It was his first experience with that kind of trauma...and all of US know how it feels. (And he already hates social gatherings AND he wasn't going to know a single soul...and I didn't need him in an even worse mood.)

We got him fixed up and he handled the rest of the evening just fine. But for a while there, I was afraid it would be touch-and-go.

Charles sucked in his gut in front of the mirror when he got out of the shower after I wrote the above and - while he couldn't breathe - he could see his ribs. It was kinda funny - he is amazingly vain/lacking self-confidence about his looks - because he was ridiculously skinny, until he wasn't. He was 6'2" and 120 lbs in high school. But I was also feeling a little bad for him (because he's better looking than he can believe he is) and a little bad for myself (because I'm lazy and petulant and don't want to cut back on carbs) - and I want to feel like I did when I looked in the mirror five years ago. And I talk the talk, and HAVE walked the walk, but not recently.

I reserve the right to gripe and not do anything about it - but I really should keep getting up off my butt and at least make a half-hearted start at it. Let's see how tomorrow goes. At least I feel good about what I did today.

I am as weak as a kitten. I hardly know where to begin to gain strength again. I hate exercise with a purple passion!

I have naturally curly/frizzy hair. When I sweat, my hair frizzes. I don't like it.

I need to exercise because I want to lose more weight and I need to be strong. It sucks.

I am with you Diana!

Well, my husband and I look like Laurel & Hardy together. He is tall and thin, and I, well...I'm not! I'm all of 5 foot 1 and shrinking. Thankfully, no longer just altituidinally! I am very much looking forward to the day that I weigh less than him, even though I will only be about half-way to goal. Nevertheless, it will be a big milestone for me.

I'm glad you put it out there. You see what you want to do and, you're right; you needn't post evrydy if you don't want to. But you feel the need to do sometng.

I guess my thght would be how impt. it is to get dressed. I do, evrydy. Even when I work from home. It helps. Plus I lift wts (not now with the wrist surgry, but as soon as I can, I will again). I can't believe I really miss it. I never thought that posible. Maybe that would intrst you?

I have a freaking Gold's gym in the basement. In.The.Basement - where I never go. I have a treadmill (although given our beautiful weather recently, except for when it was raining, it would be criminal to not go out for a walk); I have weights and dumbbells of all sizes; a Bosu ball; exercise balls; a weight bench with resistance thingies for arms and chest; an inversion swing/table; miscellaneous other crap I can't even remember (I think at one point, we even had a cheap elliptical/recumbent bike and I know there's a Gazelle somewhere as well. I have a bike.

I've got a doctor's appt at 2:15 for my eye - so I'm getting dressed now. I WILL take a walk this afternoon when I get back. But I am very sore from the weekend's overdoing it.

We can't afford her. But Charles is trying to encourage me to hire her again. Not without trying to do it on my own first.

I have a freaking Gold's gym in the basement. In.The.Basement - where I never go. I have a treadmill (although given our beautiful weather recently, except for when it was raining, it would be criminal to not go out for a walk); I have weights and dumbbells of all sizes; a Bosu ball; exercise balls; a weight bench with resistance thingies for arms and chest; an inversion swing/table; miscellaneous other crap I can't even remember (I think at one point, we even had a cheap elliptical/recumbent bike and I know there's a Gazelle somewhere as well. I have a bike.

I've got a doctor's appt at 2:15 for my eye - so I'm getting dressed now. I WILL take a walk this afternoon when I get back. But I am very sore from the weekend's overdoing it.
Wow. I only have wts. But I do prefer it to having to go out to do it.

Gd luck w/the eye.

Latest posts

Back