A Kirmy Belly afternoon

Anyway...YOU. Have you been tested for celiac? If not, the blood tests are relatively worthless, but next time you are a candidate for an endoscopy...

If it is "wheat sensitivity" or "gluten intolerance" it is probably treated with dietary changes, just as celiac disease is. But while the first two are essentially allergies, celiac is an autoimmune disease wherein the body starts attacking itself, kind of an important thing to know.

And that's my cheerful addition for today!

Nope, not tested.. though major gut problems run in my family. Dad has no large intestine, and a good chunk of the small gone, my one sister has had a couple intestinal resections due to diverticulitis and motility issues, and my other sister has had lifelong major issues with her guts as well to a very extreme degree. She has been through testing, and supposedly is reactive to corn, wheat, oats (gluten), eggs, and some other animal proteins that I can't recall.. not to mention lactose. I have not bothered as I know I FEEL better, and less bloated & swollen if I avoid grains (gluten, other proteins in grains, FODMAPs?? I don't care..) I also know wine will not bother me, but beer does. I have huge water retention at times when I go off the rails. The smarter side of me would stop, the stubborn side bargains and then complains to myself afterwards.. If I ever am so unlucky to need a scope, I would ask for the biopsy.. until then, I should be wiser, or at least limit my indulgences for my own comfort.

Nope, not tested.. though major gut problems run in my family. Dad has no large intestine, and a good chunk of the small gone, my one sister has had a couple intestinal resections due to diverticulitis and motility issues, and my other sister has had lifelong major issues with her guts as well to a very extreme degree. She has been through testing, and supposedly is reactive to corn, wheat, oats (gluten), eggs, and some other animal proteins that I can't recall.. not to mention lactose. I have not bothered as I know I FEEL better, and less bloated & swollen if I avoid grains (gluten, other proteins in grains, FODMAPs?? I don't care..) I also know wine will not bother me, but beer does. I have huge water retention at times when I go off the rails. The smarter side of me would stop, the stubborn side bargains and then complains to myself afterwards.. If I ever am so unlucky to need a scope, I would ask for the biopsy.. until then, I should be wiser, or at least limit my indulgences for my own comfort.

Jon Stewart's son has celiac, and he recently devoted a portion of his show to that topic.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/h8l3h4/jennifer-esposito

This is from NIH. The message I got was that if you have allergies, you have allergies. But if you have celiac, you HAVE TO BE very careful because the villi will be destroyed and you WILL suffer from malnutrition.

How common is celiac disease? Celiac disease affects people in all parts of the world. Originally thought to be a rare childhood syndrome, celiac disease is now known to be a common genetic disorder. More than 2 million people in the United States have the disease, or about 1 in 133 people.1 Among people who have a first-degree relative—a parent, sibling, or child—diagnosed with celiac disease, as many as 1 in 22 people may have the disease.2

BTW, generally, oats are thought to be gluten- free, except that they grow near and are processed near grains with gluten. But Trader Joes and, I think, Bob's Red Mill, have gluten-free oats. Maybe that will help a little.

I know someday soon I should be tested.. I have some, not all (but really, who doesn't? Anxiety, check, bloating & GERD, yep..weight loss.. I wish) of the symptoms of celiac.. plus the familial issues. My dad always thought his mom would die of her bowel disease (heart attack got her) and gut issues are rampant. Mom now has (imo) all the symptoms of SIBO.. or some other odd issue. It's just weird. Some families have a long standing heart issue or cancer issue.. ours is totally GUT issues.

Ha, I feel like I should be whipping out the medical diagnosis cards.. I'm too young for this shit.

I know someday soon I should be tested.. I have some, not all (but really, who doesn't? Anxiety, check, bloating & GERD, yep..weight loss.. I wish) of the symptoms of celiac.. plus the familial issues. My dad always thought his mom would die of her bowel disease (heart attack got her) and gut issues are rampant. Mom now has (imo) all the symptoms of SIBO.. or some other odd issue. It's just weird. Some families have a long standing heart issue or cancer issue.. ours is totally GUT issues.

Ha, I feel like I should be whipping out the medical diagnosis cards.. I'm too young for this shit.
As far as I can tell, testing merely helps me decide how compliant I'll be. If gluten is DESTROYING the villi and WILL cause serious problems, I'd probably be quite compliant. If it's an allergy situation (which mine appears to be as
I have been tested) there might be times that I'd have a little of one thing that might make me feel horrible.

Hell, I have RnY friends at least that crazy who have Planned Dumps...as in, I want a Krispy Kreme, I need to get in bed and bring along a donut, a trash can, a cold wet washcloth, etc. Then they eat the donut and get sick. Really.

Crazy is viral in the human condition.

Latest posts

Back