8 weeks post op...what?

Amie

Hello all!

Yesterday was my 7 week surgiversary, so crazy! I thought I would do an update on myself.

I've been doing really really well. When I first got home from having surgery I had a few issues with things like my nose having lots of sores/running all the time, drinking being difficult, an itchy hooha, and generally just not feeling well. Everything resolved itself with time, which I'm so happy about. Sadly I did get the rhino virus at about 3 weeks out. I was really dramatic over that and very unhappy. It stuck around for about a week and then finally cleared up. My doctor did give me Penicillin to clear it up but I was only able take that about four times before my stomach started to make me throw it up every time I took the pills. So I stopped taking them and let it run it's course.

As for food, I've honestly tried about 90% of food that I was eating before surgery. Now to anyone who's worried about me not sticking to the diet I'd like to emphasize that I TRIED the foods, I didn't binge. Also each time I tried them I pretty much felt done with them after. I ate small portions, became satisfied, and haven't eaten most of them again. I had serious cravings after surgery and over the past three weeks I've been getting most of them out of my system. Before surgery if I had a craving it meant I wanted mass portions five times a day for two weeks straight before I was satisfied. But now after surgery it means that I've had a few bites and was able to stop and still be satisfied. Funny how that works. I honestly haven't come across a food that upsets my stomach (knock on wood!). I've had breads, chicken, ground beef, turkey meat, rice, ice cream, tortillas, corn, soda, etc. Most of these things I've only had once or twice, because I didn't want them more then that. My favorite foods at the moment are; turkey burger patties with American cheese, pepperoni (on its own!), string cheese, meatballs (these go down so so so well!), eggs, this ranch chicken thing my mom gave me a recipe for, and protein shakes. It doesn't seem like much, I know. I'm just not that interested in food. But I get in my protein like a good girl and on occasion try to satisfy a random craving.

I'm working up to a full vitamin regime now. I'm adding them all in very slowly as my stomach does get iffy with them. But I have no trouble swallowing them, which I'm glad for. I'm just now getting in some light activity, I just haven't been too stressed about it. The hardest thing for me honestly is eating/drinking slower and smaller bites and drinks. I've made myself sick two or three times because I wasn't slow enough. I don't know why that mental aspect has been so tough for me. I never realized how much I despise eating/drinking slowly Lol. Other then that I've been going strong. At my last doc appt, which was three weeks ago, I was down 30 pounds. I don't have another appt until the middle of March and won't know how much I'm down again til then. I told my dad to hide our scale at around three weeks out because I was getting obsessed with weighing myself and didn't want the obsession to worsen. So now I just notice things by fit, like my rings that slide right off and my jeans that fit perfectly now as opposed to not being able to zip before surgery haha.

So ya, DS life has been good to me. I still come to the board just about everyday. But I tend to lurk and read. I hope everyone is doing well and thank you if you made it through this novel! :p

Last edited:
it's great that you are tolerating so many good protein items. But I am a little concerned seeing bread, soda, tortillas, corn and rice on your list of foods. These are all high carb foods with no redeeming virtues. (well maybe a little rice if it is covered in sushi, but even then, sashimi is a better option).

The turkey, cheese, chicken are all great choices. Keep focussing on them!

At 7 weeks out I was petrified of trying breads, corn, or tortillas. I was still progressing from liquids to soft foods, and was still on my first of two 8-week courses of Prilosec for stomach cramping and nausea. Go easy on the "trying" of foods to see if they disagree with you. Concentrate instead on counting your protein grams and ounces of water in a day. Chart those, and write down your vitamins.

Did you start a spreadsheet for your lab results yet? Get one of those going so you can spot your trends and act upon them by tweaking your vitamins.

BTW, personally, I think you were smart to not take the penicillin. I've had two nasty colds since September and didn't take anything other than Benadryl, Mucinex and Ibuprofen. One definitely was the flu, the other just a bastard cold. I believe they over-prescribe antibiotics, but I'm no doctor.

Oh no, I get you! I didn't think I'd even taste test any of those carby things by this time in my journey. But they absolutely are not staples in my diet or even on the menu at all. I just happened to try them, a few at my birthday and a few at a Super Bowl party. I'm glad I tasted them to get the cravings out of the way. It taught me that right now those things are all quite underwhelming and they stopped being so prominent in my mind. It also made me appreciate my meats, cheeses, and shakes, because those actually do hit my taste buds in just the right spot ;)

Also Sheanie, I haven't had any lab results from my doc so haven't done a spreadsheet of labs for trends. All they told me in the hospital was that my Vitamin A was low. So I added that in as soon as I could after adding my multi. And you reminded me of my water intake, which I forgot to mention above! I've been getting in 64 ounces +. I can take bigger drinks now, but still can't gulp like I used too. Sometimes that's frustrating because I'll crave water and want to chug, chug, chug but can't. I'm happy though that I can take regular drinks now though, the sipping was driving me batty!

Hi Amie,

Thanks for the update! Wonderful news that you are doing so well. I'll spare you the nutrition lecture because you know what you have to do. I'm just happy that you've come through the rough spots of surgery and recovery and are feeling well and in good spirits! Welcome to the great parts of the dark side.

:) Hilary

I am so glad to see you doing so well. I am doing pretty well too. Dr. Simper, I think is one hell of a cutter even if, I have to hive him bad marks in all the other areas. :doctor:

Wait. They just told you your A was "low"? Get a copy of your lab results. How low? What's your D? You know you've got to keep track of your own vitamin levels now, right? Because they might say something is "normal" when in reality it's tanked. That happens a lot.

Yeah, that's all they said. I knew I'd be getting my full lab work up and copies at my 3 month lab draw and start tracking from there. But I didn't think about getting the pre op lab draws as well. I'll give a quick call to see how I can get those.

NA! I'm so glad you're doing well :) Dr. Simper is a great cutter in my experience. But sometimes I forget he was even my surgeon. I've seen the guy all of 5 times, the longest being when he was cutting me up! He didn't even do my follow up appt with me. I wasn't expecting much but I thought I'd see him a little bit more. I'm just glad I'm doing well and don't need to rely on him too much.

Yeah, that's all they said. I knew I'd be getting my full lab work up and copies at my 3 month lab draw and start tracking from there. But I didn't think about getting the pre op lab draws as well. I'll give a quick call to see how I can get those.

NA! I'm so glad you're doing well :) Dr. Simper is a great cutter in my experience. But sometimes I forget he was even my surgeon. I've seen the guy all of 5 times, the longest being when he was cutting me up! He didn't even do my follow up appt with me. I wasn't expecting much but I thought I'd see him a little bit more. I'm just glad I'm doing well and don't need to rely on him too much.

That means you saw him 3 more times than I did. I am doing fine without seeing him too. I am going to do my follow-up with my PCP. I won't drive back to SLC unless there is an emergency. It's all good though, he did what I needed him to do.

I only saw my surgeon twice. First in office, when he tried to get me to sign consent for just the sleeve, and then in pre-op, while getting my IV, he again tried to talk me out of the DS. My surgery consent was wrong and I refused to sign it until it was corrected. He also couldn't be found when it was time to discharge me, so Dr. Kemmeter saw me in the hospital and discharged me. IMO, Dr. Kemmeter is the one to see in that practice.

Latest posts

Back