3 Month Post Op with P.A.

Yea had I been in the right state of mind at that time I might have but I was crazy. Plus that was with Cigna and now I'm with United Health.

Your mother is on Coumadin so you shouldn't take Vitamin K? Is he afraid your K levels are contagious and that your mother will catch the K you're throwing off?
I think he is thinking that if my Mom is having a clotting problem, I might have a clotting problem too... so don't take the Vit. K, that it would make clotting even worse.

Now go get your surgery report and post what it says. I'd like to know what he did to you.
You bet I got my surgery report and I think Emile was a little surprised when I brought it with me and asked him if this part meant my common channel was 100cm long (3 ft), etc. I am thinking Emile might carry the surgery. I won't see Juarez anymore... haven't since the 2 week check up. Juarez did check on me twice a day while in the hospital because I was in so much pain. Fentanyl was doing NOTHING for me. He talked me into Dilaudid and I finally got relief by the 3rd day! I thought I was allergic to Dilaudid.

What is the purpose of going to the surgeon's office for the check-ups after surgery, other than labs? If I found someone that understood the labs... do I need to go back? What do they need to monitor? Weight loss? My incisions are all healed. Just don't know why to keep surgeon around.

OMG fire them. I switched all my care to my pcp from my surgeons office, and my pcp knew nothing of the DS. She said she'd learn along with me. She did, but there is too much, too wrong with what you are being to told to give them that option. Especially considering your surgeon - get away from there while your ahead.

the most common reasons an older person would be on Coumadin would be either atrial fibrillation or a history of DVT (deep vein thrombosis in the leg) or pulmonary embolus. Yes, there are some conditions where blood clotting abnormalities run in the family, but most of the time the clot or PE is due to some external cause (surgery, immobility, etc). And atrial fib - if you get that in the future you'll have to deal with it, but if you don't have it now there is no reason to base YOUR medical care on what your mother needs. So, unless you and this idiot PA know of a specific, inherited condition that your mother needs Coumadin, there is no reason I can see for you to not take Vitamin K, esp when you will NOT absorb it properly from foods and your level is going to tank unless you supplement. And then you won't be able to clot properly.
follow your levels. Take whatever supplements YOU need, not what your mother does or doesn't need.

I think he is thinking that if my Mom is having a clotting problem, I might have a clotting problem too... so don't take the Vit. K, that it would make clotting even worse.
I understand that. What I don't understand is that without testing and a diagnosis of a condition requiring anti-coagulation is done before telling someone to avoid Vitamin K. If that wasn't done, that PA is an idiot.

Latest posts

Back