$1200 here and gone

JackieOnLine

Staff member
I got the money from the government very recently - looked at my bank account this morning when I heard people online saying they got theirs.

I took the whole thing and a bit more and paid off one of my credit cards. it's kind of a drop in the bucket but it feels good!

don't think it stimulated the economy any, though.

you?

This money irritates me.

i don’t NEED $1200 right now. MrSue does not NEED $1200 right now.

Sure, we can use it. It will come in handy. However, there have been many times in our lives when we NEEDED that money and it would have made a world of difference, This isn’t one of them.

There are people FAR better off than we are, but not really rich, who will be getting ”their” money they don’t NEED.

Meanwhile, someone we’re close to met with his company owner today. They decided that they will lay off half the staff. And probably negotiate with the powers that be for a bigger piece of the action AND a smaller, cheaper office. Some of those people, who have a smaller income than we have and have kids to support and aren’t old enough for Medicare NEED some extra money right now.

This is all so messed up.

Oh! And the people who are so broke they still owe on last year‘s taxes or have defaulted on student loans...the IRS gets to KEEP that money.

This money irritates me.

i don’t NEED $1200 right now. MrSue does not NEED $1200 right now.

Sure, we can use it. It will come in handy. However, there have been many times in our lives when we NEEDED that money and it would have made a world of difference, This isn’t one of them.

There are people FAR better off than we are, but not really rich, who will be getting ”their” money they don’t NEED.

Meanwhile, someone we’re close to met with his company owner today. They decided that they will lay off half the staff. And probably negotiate with the powers that be for a bigger piece of the action AND a smaller, cheaper office. Some of those people, who have a smaller income than we have and have kids to support and aren’t old enough for Medicare NEED some extra money right now.

This is all so messed up.

Oh! And the people who are so broke they still owe on last year‘s taxes or have defaulted on student loans...the IRS gets to KEEP that money.

I am grateful to still be working and have donated money to those who I know need it. Money is always handy, but I personally know people who are really hurting and trying to figure out how they are going to survive. If you do not need the money you might think about helping someone out who does need it.

I am grateful to still be working and have donated money to those who I know need it. Money is always handy, but I personally know people who are really hurting and trying to figure out how they are going to survive. If you do not need the money you might think about helping someone out who does need it.

That’s part of our SOP. (Standard Operating Procedure.)

However, given the market’s response to current events, I stopped checking on my accounts when losses got to about $30k. MrSue has a lot more in stuff like deferred comp than I do, but refuses to check because he IS a cardiac patient. But I think I moved almost all his money to regular, low-interest but insured, savings. I hope. If not, we all need to ignore this thread! :frown:

I can’t bear to look at my IRA and 401(k). We’re going to need that money starting next year, so I’m trying to not look and not touch for now, following the advice of our “wealth” manager. We just did a cash out refi to do some work on the house and add to our cash reserves, rather than touching our savings.

Also, we are retired and physically unable to engage in most any employment. But we are EVER SO GRATEFUL that we both have government-type defined benefit retirement programs.

In the Great Depression, one grandfather owned a gas station and machine shop. Those business stayed afloat during the depression. Nobody bought new cars, but everyone repaired their cars and other stuff. My other grandfather was a cop. And while his hours, and pay, were cut by 40%, he was the “lucky” family member because he had a job. Actually, he had two; he always worked part-time as a butcher. So when his sisters got yet another shipment of corned beef and gub’ment cheese, he’d trade with them…fresh beef roasts for corned beef.

So, while our pensions are less likely to go under than pension plans that were supposed to be government insured but apparently were not and have already gone under, years ago...nothing is 100%. And our kid went from higher paid jobs to civil service for the pension. Right now, she’s in a WEIRD situation. She got promoted to a new job in a new department the same week that CA social distancing orders went into effect. She started her new job by going in to get an ID photo taken and sign up for some kind of transportation/parking stipend and then got sent home. For the past four weeks, she gets up, signs into an online meeting, reads some emails and then wonders what the job is all about. I think that the next day for her to show up is in about three more weeks. This is all too weird.

Last edited:
I can’t bear to look at my IRA and 401(k). We’re going to need that money starting next year, so I’m trying to not look and not touch for now, following the advice of our “wealth” manager. We just did a cash out refi to do some work on the house and add to our cash reserves, rather than touching our savings.
If it’s a traditional IRA, can you wait until you’re 70 1/2 yrs old? I’ve had to make withdrawals and pay taxes on those, when we’d have been better off with the money sitting there for an emergency.

Right now, I’m trying to figure how to get out and buy veggie plants to grow right here...because COVID-19.

this might be the department of obvious but I've seen some plants for sale at our local grocery store, just annuals as far as I know, but I wonder if they would have vegetable starts? not sure what time people normally plant there. maybe they would be out now if there was going to be any, I was forgetting you are way south of me.
obviously you should have thought of this months ago and planted seeds in the house with grow lights!

OMG, if any of you grow food and see plants NOW, you should buy them. God forbid your governor does what mine did.

If we cannot mow, the mosquitos will be huge and deadly this year. We live in a valley.

Yeah, we dont want or need stimulus money. Just let him go back to work, TYVM. We got this.

OMG, if any of you grow food and see plants NOW, you should buy them. God forbid your governor does what mine did.

If we cannot mow, the mosquitos will be huge and deadly this year. We live in a valley.

Yeah, we dont want or need stimulus money. Just let him go back to work, TYVM. We got this.

I’ve got to disagree 100% with the back to work movement. Right now,
California —population +/- 40,000,000; 758 COVID-19 related deaths;
Michigan—population +/- 10,000,000; 1921 COVID-19 related deaths.

We have four times Michigan’s population but for every one dead Californian, there are about 2.5 dead Michiganders. We are not healthier, smarter, stronger...we are just stuck at home and very few are arguing about it.

And even IF they open the garden store—but not the schools? Or not enough public transportation? It all has to be worked out together. PERHAPS in very rural areas, like my husband’s home town...that county population is 50 people per sq mi...here it’s 2344 per sq mile...BUT, his hometown county already has four confirmed COVID-19 cases.

It’s SO hard. But I just remember Anne Frank. She spent two years and 35 days locked up. And found a way to become immortal. You kind of do that with ALL the good deeds and contributions and help you give to others. I will, however, have to join you in the mosquito abatement issue. I’ve ended up in Emergency Rooms behind mosquito bites. THEY are THUGS, too! LOL

Anyway, the garden STORES are closed here, but they will take online orders, call you to discuss and confirm and then deliver or let you drive up for delivery and put the stuff in your car. It’s DIFFERENT, but not unavailable.

https://request.armstronggarden.com/

Michigan is ready to start phasing back gradually. Our curve is declining. Our employees are not getting the promised unemployment or stimulus checks. We practice infection control normally, so this will not be new. We have controls in place, plexiglass, laser thermometers for employees and patients. Hand washing room. We previously started allowing only the patient to visits, no guests or children.

Phasing means no elderly patients yet. Only urgent cases. If you had a root canal started, it can be finished. Crowns delivered, before the tooth super erupts or temporary wears out. No prophies yet.

This is all new for restaurants and other businesses. We have done this forever.

The restrictions in Michigan are ridiculous. Party stores are open, deliver alcohol. MJ can be home delivered. But lawncare is banned. Planting tomato plants is banned.

Greenhouses cannot survive if they dump stock. Dairy farmers have already permanently closed and slaughtered dairy cows because of the ban. They will not recover.

It is time to SLOWLY and judiciously plan the phasing back to work, based on risk of infection. With the correct precautions, we can do this.

Michigan is ready to start phasing back gradually. Our curve is declining. Our employees are not getting the promised unemployment or stimulus checks. We practice infection control normally, so this will not be new. We have controls in place, plexiglass, laser thermometers for employees and patients. Hand washing room. We previously started allowing only the patient to visits, no guests or children.

Phasing means no elderly patients yet. Only urgent cases. If you had a root canal started, it can be finished. Crowns delivered, before the tooth super erupts or temporary wears out. No prophies yet.

This is all new for restaurants and other businesses. We have done this forever.

The restrictions in Michigan are ridiculous. Party stores are open, deliver alcohol. MJ can be home delivered. But lawncare is banned. Planting tomato plants is banned.

Greenhouses cannot survive if they dump stock. Dairy farmers have already permanently closed and slaughtered dairy cows because of the ban. They will not recover.

It is time to SLOWLY and judiciously plan the phasing back to work, based on risk of infection. With the correct precautions, we can do this.

I’m a belt AND suspenders kind of girl. YOU will get it right. Others? I’m hopeful, but not yet convinced.

And the rules? If they make no sense, follow the money.

DisneyWorld in Florida is apparently NOT an essential business, but WWE…wrestling…is. “WHY,“ one might ask? Well, a SuperPAC, run by Linda McMahon…she, her hubby and kids own WWE…pledged $18.5 MILLION for Trump campaign advertising ON THE DAY De Santis decided wrestling was an essential business. For every person who works or attends and contracts COVID-19, I want TWO of the McMahons/Trumps/DeSantises to keel over dead after a long painful illness. And that’s my kindest offer.

Latest posts

Back