10 1/2 Month Update....

robs477

Now an Angel in heaven
Hi everyone! Been a while since I posted anything or gave any updates. I’ve been sooo flippin busy, been unreal. It seems like everything that could break or needs repairing has happened at my house in the last couple of months. We feel like were living in that Tom Hanks movie…”The money Pit”…LOL

Anyway, just been lurking in the shadows for a while and I took off work today and am going to try to do a little catch-up…

Regarding an update: As of last Tuesday, it has been 42 weeks, 10 ½ months since my surgery. To date, I have lost 148 lbs. and I weigh 207 lbs. I have gone from a size 54 pants and 4 XL shirt to a NORMAL!!!! Mens 36-38 and a regular XL which is starting to get baggy as well.

Factoring in for the 20-30% more bone mass and density that we former MO people have and at least 3-5 lbs of extra skin weight, my true real adjusted weight (RAW….I just made that up :laugh:) is really well under 200 lbs.

I’m hoping that I stop losing at this point. It does seem like the WL may be slowing down a bit, so, I'm actually encouraged about that…Yeah, I know.... NEVER, NEVER not in a MILLION yrs thought I’d be saying that!!!! As many of you may know or remember, my taste buds radically changed post DS and I had a LOT of food aversions for around NINE months. It was only recently, around 3 or 4 weeks ago, that I was able to add chicken back in my diet, and that has REALLY helped in my meal planning and cooking. I can do pork tenderloins and pork roast now too, but still get nauseous even smelling bacon and can’t do hamburgers yet, BUT, I am really encouraged about everything slowly coming back!!! Really weird huh???

I feel GREAT…FANTASTIC actually. I can’t even come close to finding words to adequately describe how happy and excited I am to be FINALLY be experiencing a NORMAL life. My brain is VERY, VERY slowly coming to the realization that I am NO LONGER A FAT PERSON!!! That has been a real challenge. 40 years living as an MO person does not just mentally go away with the weight. My Wife, Family and friends and myself, are constantly having to remind me of that. I could give 100’s of examples where you still think with a fat brain and it’s been a very surreal and happy experience being able to do all those little things (which are really big things), that you never could or wouldn’t do before!!

I eat constantly…lol, at least 4-5 times per day and usually only want to eat healthy food as I always have, i.e., don’t like fried foods etc….EXCEPT fried chicken which I had a few weeks ago and loved!!

I get in at least 120 grams of protein every day, 70+ ounces of water and am religious about taking all my vits and meds. My most recent Labs just came in and they are all almost perfect except iron, which has been a little low running at 34 (45-160 ug/dl), in the last two tests, no matter what I try. I had a separate thread about that a while back that I need to post an update on and hopefully will very soon.

As I think of more, I will add to this and update. I have SO much to share and want to help as much as I can, especially with our pre-ops.

I miss you guys. ;)....I have NO doubt that I wouldn’t be in the great place I’m in right now without the knowledge and help I received from this bd and I will forever appreciate and be eternally grateful for what many of you have all selflessly shared.

Awesome love reading this update. I'm going into surgery next week and I think I've been too focused on all the "changes" I have to make instead of focusing on the positive outcomes I'll get.

Thanks for the reminder!

@Robs it's good to hear from you! I was wondering what had become of you the last little while. Your house may be falling apart around you but it sounds like you are doing great yourself. Which doesn't surprise me at all, it was obvious from the first that you would be a great DS'er.

btw it took me a long, long time before I could handle hamburger too, but I'm fine with it now. Not the fast food junk type, I never did go for those, but a nice hamburger made at home with good quality meat. You'll get there.

Congratulations Rob! I'm so happy to hear you are doing so well!! I've been lurking mostly lately and I've missed seeing your posts. Loved this update!! :)

Not to make this thread about me but since we've gone through this together here's a little update on me. ;) My food aversions are slowly getting better too. I still have problems with eggs, dairy and hamburger and sometimes old ones will come back again for short periods of time. I still can't drink plain water. I drink diluted iced tea w real lemon or diluted Strictly Lemonade. It's so weird but those are the only things that go down wo making me nauseated. I'm down to 126 pounds which equates to a bmi of 21. I'd like to lose those last six pounds for bounce back purposes. I'm in a size 6 pants and a small or medium top. I need to tweak my supplements as you saw and I could use a little more energy some days. That might not be DS related though and more about raising 4 kids. :D I need some serious muscle tone. Lol. I need to be diligent about weight training. I'm allowing my crazy busy life to interfere w my exercise. My weight loss has slowed way down. Until this past month I didn't have to make much effort to lose the weight. I'm either in a stall or losing a half a pound a week. The scale hasn't moved much for the last 4 weeks. I might have to go back to strictly tracking my intake and cut some carbs to lose the 6 pounds. Otherwise I am feeling great and beyond happy w my DS. Oh - and I finally started to purge my closet and buy new clothes!

I hear you about the house thing. I built my house 13 years ago and it seemed like this year everything suddenly needed to be fixed or replaced (faucets, patio door, dishwasher, garage door, etc.). The joys of homeownership. :mad:

Congrats on meeting and exceeding all your weightloss goals - and for living your NORMAL life to the fullest! I'll keep my fingers crossed you stop losing at this point too! Take care of yourself - I don't want to see you on the path to revision. :confused: Your posts brighten my day and make me feel like I'm not going through this first year of changes alone so keep them coming! I miss you my friend. :)

Latest posts

Back