1 month report and questions

bertgamble2001

Today is 1 month since SIPS and I am down 23 pounds. Constipation issues have abated and energy levels are at about 80% of what they were pre surgery.

I am a little concerned that the weight is coming off too fast. My head tells me that as my body shrinks, my caloric requirements will begin to drop and the calorie deficit will decrease and slow the loss. Am I correct in this? 1 month ago my BMI was 35.2 and now I am a 31.6 and at this rate I will reach my target in 4 months and then die of malnutrition at the 6 month point so I have that to look forward to (lol).

At what point should I begin strength training? The surgeon said to start after a month, but he hasn’t been right on anything yet so…….

There is a study here somewhere on your flavor of surgery that seems to indicate your fat malabsorbtion is rather short lived. Small sample though so who knows for sure if it is true. Just remember, your body will do the best it can to adapt over time.

So I will give you my standard tried and true advice. I can’t even tell you how many people have made your post. Here you go. Don’t worry till your BMI is too low or close to being too low. Yes, you will start looking too thin and friends and relatives will start feeding you. You will hear that you look sick or that you have already lost too much weight. You have a great reason to lose weight so don’t sabotage yourself. As time passes your body fat will redistribute a bit and you will look better. You and others will get used to you being a thin person.

People tend to be a bit shocked when they actually get some ‘easy’ weight loss after surgery. Ride the wave. Maybe you will run out of flubber before your surgery runs out of steam. If that’s the case, you just eat more and add in some carbs like pasta and fruit. Lucky you. Right now you are bulletproof and now is the time to develop good habits that will serve you well in the future. Just lose the weight.

Some people just can’t accept this. They fly off the rails and start adding carbs and junky food. Pretty much without fail they end up back here trying to lose that last 30 or 60 pounds a couple years later. They can still do it but it is work and dieting, the easy time is done and gone.

Strength training. JMHO not until 8 weeks postop. Maybe I am a bit too careful but who wants a hernia? Maybe it is because I have a hernia? Right now I would be working on getting my stamina back by walking. Recovering from surgery. Being generally active. Yeah I know you want to pump iron and get muscle mass. But get the hernia and you won’t be doing that at all until you have…another surgery.

I think you are doing well!

There is a study here somewhere on your flavor of surgery that seems to indicate your fat malabsorbtion is rather short lived. Small sample though so who knows for sure if it is true. Just remember, your body will do the best it can to adapt over time.

So I will give you my standard tried and true advice. I can’t even tell you how many people have made your post. Here you go. Don’t worry till your BMI is too low or close to being too low. Yes, you will start looking too thin and friends and relatives will start feeding you. You will hear that you look sick or that you have already lost too much weight. You have a great reason to lose weight so don’t sabotage yourself. As time passes your body fat will redistribute a bit and you will look better. You and others will get used to you being a thin person.

People tend to be a bit shocked when they actually get some ‘easy’ weight loss after surgery. Ride the wave. Maybe you will run out of flubber before your surgery runs out of steam. If that’s the case, you just eat more and add in some carbs like pasta and fruit. Lucky you. Right now you are bulletproof and now is the time to develop good habits that will serve you well in the future. Just lose the weight.

Some people just can’t accept this. They fly off the rails and start adding carbs and junky food. Pretty much without fail they end up back here trying to lose that last 30 or 60 pounds a couple years later. They can still do it but it is work and dieting, the easy time is done and gone.

Strength training. JMHO not until 8 weeks postop. Maybe I am a bit too careful but who wants a hernia? Maybe it is because I have a hernia? Right now I would be working on getting my stamina back by walking. Recovering from surgery. Being generally active. Yeah I know you want to pump iron and get muscle mass. But get the hernia and you won’t be doing that at all until you have…another surgery.

I think you are doing well!
Thank you very much for the info. I will stay the course!

Latest posts

Back