What will happen when we get older?

That is exactly why I am so preachy about this topic. :) Frankly my original DS surgeon F$$cked me up and I don't want to see that happen to anyone ever again. So many DS surgeons do not do CC's and AL's as a predetermined percentage of the total SBL (10% and 40% roughly) so that is why we rarely hear any talk about the AL or the BPL. We only hear about the CC. The CC is very important but so are those other two parts of the equation.

It sounds to me like your AL + CC is probably more than the BPL length so you probably do absorb more. That being said, it sounds like you are healthy so that is the main thing.

I am healthy :) Also have a good-ish head on my shoulders (with the exception of graph interpretation lol) ;) It's good to know that Im not imagining I could absorb more than others lol. I felt like people were calling me a liar when I said I have to keep an eye on cals lol.

Ok I feel completely stupid right now lol. I looked at the chart and can't make heads or tails of it. For arguments sake I am 5'9" (175cm). I could figure all that out lol but the Y axis. What are those numbers? lol I know I sound really daft! I see length...but length of what exactly?
Haha...you aren't stupid. The Y Axis is Total Small bowel length and the X-Axis is the patient height. The chart is kind of hard to approximate so I had to print it out and then take a straight edge or piece of paper to find the point where X & Y intersect. Also you can see there is a lot of variability in SBL length between subjects of the same height so you can roughly, and I mean roughly estimate total SBL. The more I look at the chart I see you can't really use it to get a solid number but just a predictor that in general it is reasonable to expect that taller patients will have longer total SBL as compared to shorter patients. It looks to me that people around your height in this study tended to fall between 700 & 900 CM's

Again I am 6'2 and just checked my op report that says my total SBL was 725 CM, so I am actually on the low end of the spectrum and you could possibly have a longer total SBL than me. If you have a copy of your operative report you might find the BPL lenght or actual total SBL length identified (not all surgeons measure the entire small bowel).

I am healthy :) Also have a good-ish head on my shoulders (with the exception of graph interpretation lol) ;) It's good to know that Im not imagining I could absorb more than others lol. I felt like people were calling me a liar when I said I have to keep an eye on cals lol.
No doubt we are all different and even though I firmly believe DS surgeons need to fully measure and follow the Hess method, we still have differences that can yield varying results/levels of absorption between different patients where Hess was followed.........but that variation has the potential to be much larger when the Hess method is not followed (can work great for some and totally screw up others like me).

No doubt we are all different and even though I firmly believe DS surgeons need to fully measure and follow the Hess method, we still have differences that can yield varying results/levels of absorption between different patients where Hess was followed.........but that variation has the potential to be much larger when the Hess method is not followed (can work great for some and totally screw up others like me).

My surgeon, Professor Patel, did the Hess on me after I asked a million questions about length etc. He knows I know my shit so he told me he would do the Hess method on me. I believe his typical is 100cc, but because he knew he wouldn't have to worry much about nutritional problems with me, he went whole hog.

There are so many other things fucking my progress. Im battling hypos, and the most exercise I get is going to the loo. So all in all, I've done kick ass! Just about the time my physio clears me for proper exercise, I will be down for the count with my hernia and 'other' bits operation. Have been told could take up to a year to heal. You know what makes me want to exercise more than anything? Not being able to lol.

So yeah, my 2 years is coming up in Feb, but Im hoping since I never got a honeymoon and have lost in spurts and starts that I can keep that trickle going for a couple more years. :)

-Sorry for seriously highjacking the holy hell out of this thread lol

So yeah, my 2 years is coming up in Feb, but Im hoping since I never got a honeymoon and have lost in spurts and starts that I can keep that trickle going for a couple more years. :)
I think this is very possible for you. After a year and a half, I suddenly lost an additional 30 lbs. I've read about others doing the same. I've been thinking about my observations of the condition of the elderly. When I look at them I see mal-nutrition. There was a point in my own DS journey where I became severely mal-nurished. I suddenly knew how it felt to be "old". I'm hoping the future will bring better nutritional standards and vitamin level checks for the elderly.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I intend to cling to this world as long as I can, even if fully bed-bound, demented, etc. so long as I am able to enjoy the beauty of sunrise or even just the feel of a warm sunbeam on my skin AND if I am not experiencing unmanageable pain. And this even comes in a week I'm exploring local VA home options for my 85 year old father.

@hilary1617 there are many people who would agree with you. The bottom line is that whatever your desires, you will be better off as an older person if you are not MO or even obese, in terms of your options for care (if needed) and quality of care.
And of course, both you and those with rather definite and non-care exit strategies can change your minds as your lives progress.

"And this even comes in a week I'm exploring local VA home options for my 85 year old father."

My father will be 85 in April. I was on the phone today with the VA doing EXACTLY that for him.

I guess I am a youngster. My Father is only 75!! :p

Seriously though, I had to take care of these things with a Morbidly Obese Mother who had CPD and CHF so I empathize ladies. It sucks to get old and watch our parents struggle towards the end of their days.

@DianaCox, Interesting timing - I wonder if there is a seasonal post-holiday spike in inquiries and applications. It's definitely a heart-wrenching process. My Mom is much younger and in perfect health, but needs relief as care-taking is becoming difficult and she wouldn't be happy alone in the big house in the woods. Presently we are separated by a thousand miles, so while Dad is on a waiting list in MA, we need to relocate both of them to IL or possibly WI. IL VA home requires a year in-state residency, WI accepts applicants from all states... I'm guessing from the age your dad also served in Korean War? Glad both our dads made it home safely and to 85. What a gift!

He was in the Army from 1951-55, but he enlisted and was sent to a post in Austria, interviewing refugees from communist Hungary, since he spoke Hungarian (after they taught him "proper" Hungarian at the Army Language School - he learned a Jewish/Transylvanian dialect from his family, which apparently has the same relation to proper Hungarian as Creole does to English). So he was mostly at risk of getting killed driving in the Alps in the winter, having mostly grown up in Brooklyn.

Was your dad in Korea?

I'm guessing from the age your dad also served in Korean War? Glad both our dads made it home safely and to 85. What a gift!
My dad would have been 88 this last week...he missed WWII (too young), but he served during Korea (served stateside at training camps). In fact he was at Ft. Riley KS when I was born in 1954 (I managed to be born in TN, my mother was staying with her sister en route to KS to have me at the military hospital)

@DianaCox, Interesting timing - I wonder if there is a seasonal post-holiday spike in inquiries and applications. It's definitely a heart-wrenching process. My Mom is much younger and in perfect health, but needs relief as care-taking is becoming difficult and she wouldn't be happy alone in the big house in the woods. Presently we are separated by a thousand miles, so while Dad is on a waiting list in MA, we need to relocate both of them to IL or possibly WI. IL VA home requires a year in-state residency, WI accepts applicants from all states... I'm guessing from the age your dad also served in Korean War? Glad both our dads made it home safely and to 85. What a gift!
Hilary 1617 I'm guessing we live fairly close to each other. I live 65 miles west of Chicago. Reading your short bio, you have been through it. How are you doing?

@Larra aboslutely, not being MO or SMO (as I was) will make for a much better quality of life as we age, with less health issues, more housing options and easier caregiving. I think of DS as a gift to our future selves and the next generation who will assist us when we are elderly.

@Razbry, I'm about 25 miles due north of Chicago (by the Botanic Garden and Ravinia), so we are close. I'm doing okay; just came back from a whirlwind family visit covering Western MA, Boston, CT, DC and eastern shore of MD; heading to NOLA in two weeks for my next round of scans.

@southernlady I'm so sorry for your loss and grateful to your dad for his service.

@DianaCox Below is all I really know about my dad's service, excerpted from a summary Liam wrote in 4th grade "interview a Veteran" assignment. He was fortunate not to see combat as his training was completed just as the war ended.

In 1952, when my grandfather graduated from college, the United States was at war with Korea, so he volunteered for service. He was accepted into a special program in the U.S. Air Force where he was trained to be a NATO pilot along with allies from Europe. He left his home in Massachusetts and started his service in preflight training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. Next, he took primary flight training at the base in Hondo, Texas. Then he moved to Foster Air Force Base in Victoria, Texas for advanced flight training. Eventually, he was sent to Donaldson Air Force Base in Greenville, South Carolina. Luckily, the war ended while he was in training and before he was scheduled to be sent into battle overseas.

The time in the Air Force was hard for my grandfather. In the Air Force, he was tired because he worked very hard and he didn’t get much sleep. He had to wake up at 3:45 in the morning. He had to march and do things certain ways, He didn’t have his freedom and wasn’t allowed to make decisions for himself. He had to follow orders. If a soldier doesn’t follow orders from anyone who is of a higher rank he can go to jail. Once my grandpa went into town with a group of cadets when they weren’t supposed to leave the base and they all got punished by having to march around a room. Also, when he first started learning to fly, he would get motion sickness and would throw up in his pilot’s cap. He had some scary experiences trying to learn how to land a plane at night and nearly running out of gas.

Still, he is glad he served. He is happy that he supported his country, learned self discipline, navigation, and meteorology. He really enjoyed learning to fly and especially doing acrobatics with the plane. He also is happy to have made friends and to have learned from instructors he respected who had served in World War II. Also, because he served, he was able to go to law school under a program called the G.I. Bill which pays for education for soldiers.

To my grandpa, America means freedom and opportunity. He sees it as maybe the only place in the world where you can come from another country or grow up poor and you can become exceptionally successful with hard work. Growing up, he had always wanted to serve his country, by being a good citizen, not by being in the military, but war changes things, so he volunteered. He believes in the officers code that he learned, “Honor in all things, duty well-performed and country before self.” I am proud of him and love him very much.​

Aren't dads the best?!!! :)

I'm 65 and had the DS when I was 54. Within a year, I was at normal BMI and I'm still there. I've bounced a little both directions, but I seem to have a new 'set point' that I keep returning to. My anxieties about the future are not being able to pay for all the labs on Medicare, diarrhea I can't manage on my own, quicker than normal bone loss (not a problem yet), and having gas during surgery (has happened, the surgical nurse told me they were gagging in there). Everyone my age has dental problems and mine are no worse than my friends. We all wish for a painless and quick death. The only tattoo I would ever get would be one over my heart that said 'do not resuscitate'.

Latest posts

Back