Was your gallbladder removed?

He patiently explained that I didn't need it, it was likely to go south, and removing a potential cause of pain in a post-DSer's differential diagnosis for abdominal pain was a good thing (ditto the appendix). I had both of mine out during my DS.
Interesting. I was wondering about getting the appendix out since they'd already be in there. I'll ask Srikanth in two weeks if that's an option for me.

They did not remove mine. It really depends on the doctor. I had to have mine taken out 5 months later, though, Apparently losing a lot of weight really fast can piss off your gall bladder to no end.

Both my gallbladder and appendix were left in. I wanted them out - surgeon said no and that insurance would frown on taking out otherwise 'healthy' GB. I'm over 2 years out and just yesterday had an episode of what I firmly believe was GB pain from a stone moving through the duct. I've got an appointment to discuss with surgeon later this week. I don't want another abdominal surgery, but I ESPECIALLY don't want an emergency GB removal.

Mine was removed during the DS op. The pre-op screening showed sludge in there, and a good sized stone that was not yet bothering me, but likely would. Happy to have it yanked through the main lapro incision. I haven't missed it once.
And suddenly I understand why one of my incisions is much bigger and more painful!

For women, there is a fifth "F" - fertile.

I actually argued a bit with Rabkin about taking out a "perfectly healthy" gallbladder (even though I had had a couple of what were probably gallbladder "attacks" over the years, without visible stones). He patiently explained that I didn't need it, it was likely to go south, and removing a potential cause of pain in a post-DSer's differential diagnosis for abdominal pain was a good thing (ditto the appendix). I had both of mine out during my DS.
I had not heard about the appendix being a standard removal. Is it common to have a ruptured appendix with rapid weight loss too? ... Mine is still in...

Both my gallbladder and appendix were left in. I wanted them out - surgeon said no and that insurance would frown on taking out otherwise 'healthy' GB. I'm over 2 years out and just yesterday had an episode of what I firmly believe was GB pain from a stone moving through the duct. I've got an appointment to discuss with surgeon later this week. I don't want another abdominal surgery, but I ESPECIALLY don't want an emergency GB removal.
Oh no! What was the outcome?

One of our members here had her DS February 2016. She begged her doc to remove GB but he refused to remove a healthy organ. He said he believed only 10% of WLS patients have GB issues. (wrong!) She ended up in ER last week with gallstones and is having GB as I type this.

One of our members here had her DS February 2016. She begged her doc to remove GB but he refused to remove a healthy organ. He said he believed only 10% of WLS patients have GB issues. (wrong!) She ended up in ER last week with gallstones and is having GB as I type this.
Yeah, Duke told us in our classes that only 30% have GB issues so they leave gallbladder in... however, to my surprise, Dr. Sudan said he always takes GB out for DS.

I was told many years ago that anytime a surgeon was in the neighborhood, s/he would remove the appendix, as it does nothing for you, and can be a bad thing if something goes wrong. I had two abdominal surgeries (at age 22 and again at age 46) in which the surgeon attempted to locate and remove my appendix, but couldn't find it. I then had a barium enema study done, which located my appendix as being retrocecal (up high on the cecum and under my liver). When I had my DS a few years later, I brought the X-rays to Rabkin, and he went out of his way to locate and remove my appendix.

I was told many years ago that anytime a surgeon was in the neighborhood, s/he would remove the appendix, as it does nothing for you, and can be a bad thing if something goes wrong. I had two abdominal surgeries (at age 22 and again at age 46) in which the surgeon attempted to locate and remove my appendix, but couldn't find it. I then had a barium enema study done, which located my appendix as being retrocecal (up high on the cecum and under my liver). When I had my DS a few years later, I brought the X-rays to Rabkin, and he went out of his way to locate and remove my appendix.
I don't know much about the appendix, but guess I should study up. Sounds like you had a great surgeon who listened to you!

Latest posts

Back