Starting a new thread with requested Info

Yvonne

Ok @Larra and @DianaCox .

I believe I have everything you have requested. Go into this thinking this. I will NOT be using Dr. Cooper for SADI. I have already set up an appointment with Dr. Inman and that will be next Thursday. I talked to my attorney (Lindstrom) and they said they will halt any other payments (I owe $350 left of $950 and they were taking $100 a month) and put it all on hold. She didn't realize that I was having a SADI and she was SO glad that I have decided to do the DS instead. She told me that if the insurance company had found out it was not a DS, I would have had to have paid for the whole thing. I also read through Dr. Cooper's notes and I know that this is a "for-profit" business", but to see them talking about "what brings the most money" is disheartening. I also haven't heard a word from them.

The attorney sent me every single bit of my files. She actually offered to send all my files to me. She said to print the entire thing out. Print an extra copy of the psych eval and the dietetics to show her right at that first appointment, so they knew that I had already done those. Take ALL of it to the appointment I have. I also have the electronic files of it as well so I can send those if they want them instead of having to scan everything. The woman at Dr. Inman's office said their psych guy will most like read over it and decide if i need another one. That first one cost me $1500 btw.

The biggest thing is I need to get the band removal approved. I don't think she'll have trouble getting the DS approved if we can get the band out. Also I went to a "bariatric doc" from January 2013 through April 2014. Is that going to be too far away, considering my band is 10 years old, that's pretty recent to me. Then I started seeing my general doc every single month after that for my blood pressure that is still not completely controlled, and we also talked about different things to try for weight loss as well. Every month we talked about weight. Were they actual "diet" meetings? No. On the electric form they asked me every single diet I've been on. Should I list them by dates? I'm not sure I have all of the dates. But boy I've tried about all of them. Not unlike about everyone else on here. My MAIN issue is metabolic/endocrine. I diet like a champ but I need my insulin to go down in order to actually lose weight (I have PCOS).

OK, so the files attached are #1) the specific, to my husband's company, BCBS of IL RR Donnelley Bariatric Policy on covering bariatric surgery. #2)What I "think"? is the letter they submitted originally to BCBS for surgery. I'm not sure though as it's what my general practitioner filled out. #3)I can't tell heads or tails if one is the peer review denial and the other is the general denial, but it does have the reasons and codes on them.

Now remember again, I'm not going for the SADI. This is more information so that you can see what the policy is and it clear covers the DS (as long as a BMI of over 50, and I do), and I've done the psych and tried to diet. Now how much dieting do they expect? I have no idea. That's why I asked if that one diet doctor is too old? He did hormonal diet, plus he had his own program with shakes and pudding that were DISGUSTING BTW. He was working to get my estrogen down and work with the insulin problems. He cost me over $100/month cash, but we have every monthly visit for him as well in the big bundle.

I'm wanting to look for a few things. How we can get the band out. Being prepared to send an appeal letter if we need to. The attorney said they'll be right back on board if I need them. She also said to stress my time factor in that I need this before the end of the year due to my outrageous deductible ($8000). Actually at this point, my surgery will almost be all paid at 100% because I've spent so much preparing for it.

Thanks for your help.

Yvonne

Attachments

• BCBS BARIATRIC POLICY.PDF
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Letter of Medical Necessity.pdf
    517.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Denial Letters.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
OK, there is something hinky about this:
  • The BCBS bariatric surgery policy requirements DO NOT MATCH the reasons given for denial:
    • Policy says
      • Original surgery was a covered benefit
      • You met screening criteria for surgery
      • Patient has been compliant (what proof do you have? weight loss history, doctor's statements?)
      • Significant complications (e.g., GERD? slippage? erosion?) with the band
      • Patient is requesting acceptable revision procedure
    • Denial says
      • Compliance wasn't proven - but the LOMN passingly references caloric restriction
      • Documentation of a complication - the LOMN looks like it is documenting GERD at least
      • Psych eval - did you submit the evaluation? (by the way, $1500?? That is obscene!)
That is one of the crappier LOMNs I've ever seen. Did Dr. Cooper's (or his office) BOTHER to read the requirements for revision surgery, and tailor their submission to your specific requirements? And after making you pay $1500 for a psych eval, he didn't even bother to submit it?? If not, that is unconscionable.

We need to see Cooper's submission to the insurance company, i.e., the request for precertification.

I went to an actual weight loss bariatric doc (non-surgical) from January 2013-April 2014. He was more about getting hormones in line (with my excessive insulin levels) and he also did an entire program of shakes etc. Here's a link to his website. I have his entire file if you want to see it. http://mdweightworx.com/mdweightworx/j-matthew-andry-md/

I will attach the entire file Dr. Cooper has of mine. I can't tell heads or tails. You'll see where they're talking about it being what generates most $$$. There are some files in there from my GP that talks about how every single month we talked about weight loss/gain etc. We talked about different things to try. From April 2014 - April 2015 - I went every single month.

Ignore Dr. Cooper's notes saying RNY. That was before I knew what I was going to do.

Yvonne

Attachments

• Dr. Cooper Bariatric surgeon med rec.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
After reading more of what you said. I'll answer some of your questions.

My GP and I talked about Paleo, low carb, eating at different times of the day. The other WL Doc, he used medications to improve insulin sensitivity, he gave me samples of the shakes and vitamins and pudding (BLECH and they had so many chemicals in them and HFCS). He wanted me on that new diabetic drug that starts with a "V" - anyway, it was $1800 a month. No way could I afford that. His literal SKELETON NP raved about how it helped her lose weight. She was seriously sick looking (even my husband who keeps those kinds of comments to himself said "Did she look healthy to you - please don't get that skinny).

I couldn't get Dr. Cooper's office to get all my problems with my band written down for NOTHING. I kept saying the GERD is so bad I'm living on prilosec. I took them for 10 years - they are what caused all the polyps in my stomach that COULD turn to cancer. I have stabbing pains right where my band sits, and I get choked on food about every single day. I chew VERY well, but sometimes it's just a no go for food. I have a very early band. There were no sizes back then. He said he could barely get it to fit. Dr. Cooper said it had NO FLUID in it. So why am I choking on food? NO ONE would write this all down.

Here's what's weird. The first denial they never said a word about the psych evaluation, they GOT IT. The 2nd time, I have NO idea where it went.

I'm not sure if these count for anything, but my legs are going numb to the point where I fall down, after these last 80lbs I gained from being on a BP drug that shot my insulin through the roof for MONTHS. My back and knees are hurting. They NEVER hurt before this. I have Fibromyalgia and I'm very functional, but this last weight gain has about killed me. I have resistant hypertension. I'm taking 4 BP meds right now. I can't imagine what they are doing to my body. I NEED this surgery to save my life.

I'm so hot over this and how I've been treated. This should have been approved, but then, I wouldn't be get a DS, instead I'd be getting something that would not have given me the health I need.

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne

Best of luck to you.

I don't want to hijack your thread but had to ask about this statement you made "I kept saying the GERD is so bad I'm living on prilosec. I took them for 10 years - they are what caused all the polyps in my stomach that COULD turn to cancer. "

Where did you hear that a PPI causes stomach polyps? I have been on a PPI for a long time and have never heard of this.

@DSRIGGS I think the boards are to help and educate. I love that you responded.

A couple of people at the hospital told me. A nurse who had been there for some 30+ years. In fact, she worked with the anesthesiologist who primarily does endoscopes. She said they see that frequently and always when the person had been on them long term. As the box said, it's not intended for long term use. She said "your stomach is a field of polyps. More than she's ever seen". He took several for biopsy and they were not malignant. The doctor also told me this separately.

Latest posts

Back