Help with labs? VSG 10/1/15

VDLT

VSG October 2015
Hello all, I just got my first lab results post surgery. I had the labs at the 8 week mark.
After surgery my surgeon required a multi (I got a bariatric one) and an additional sublingual B12 (even though the multi included a ton of B12). He explained that would not be absorbed as well and therefore he required the sublingual. I am waiting on a call or some sort of communication from my surgeon after he reads my results.

Well, B12 and B6 were through the roof so I think I will need to stop the sublingual.
Other out of range results:

High RDW (15.3) but normal MCV (91.4)

Low Iron Binding Capacity (238) but normal total iron (68) and normal saturation (29%)

Low HDL (42) but normal triglycerides (116) normal LDL (121) and normal total cholesterol (186)

I take a small amount of thyroid medication (25mcg). Even when I ask for a full thyroid panel only T4 and TSH gets done. I finally got T3 done and it is low.

Low T3 (72) normal T4 (6.3) and normal TSH (2.97)

So.... I don't know much about all this and want to be informed when I hear from my doctor. From my reading I think that my high RDW is from anemia, since my B12 is way too high to be the cause. I am needing to read more about Iron but it seems that is the cause here.

I am also trying to read up on low T3. Seems that there is dispute as to whether it should be treated with thyroid medication or not. Not sure if I should go see an endocrinologist. I have not had the best of luck with them in the past but I am sure I am due for a dosage change.

Any light you can shed or pointing me in the right direction to keep reading would be most appreciated! Oh and about the low HDL, I am just going to have to eat more avocados ;)

B6 going up is dangerous. However, what do you mean by B12 going thru the roof? Mine stays above 2000 and has for several decades. @Larra is another with very high B12. High B12 is not a problem. LOW B12 is.

As far as being anemic, what did your full iron panel look like? Ferritin, hemoglobin, hemocrit, etc? And I was told an iron sat % of below 30% is cause for an iron infusion for me...I have secondary RLS.

See an endo for the T3 if your PCP won't cooperate. I take thyroid meds for both T3 and T4...I take mine during a middle of the night potty run for best timing with other things.

Thanks @southernlady !

B12 says greater than 2000. B6 was 75.5 (range 2.1-21.7)

I can't find ferritin values in my labs but HEMOGLOBIN was 13 and
HEMATOCRIT 40.3

Thanks for your help. I will see if I can find a good endo.

Thanks @southernlady !

B12 says greater than 2000. B6 was 75.5 (range 2.1-21.7)

I can't find ferritin values in my labs but HEMOGLOBIN was 13 and
HEMATOCRIT 40.3

Thanks for your help. I will see if I can find a good endo.
You may have to insist on ferritin being pulled. It's the saving account of your body's iron store.

My B12 was high on my first labs too as I was using the methyl B12 sublingual based on everyone saying we didn't absorb as well post op. That has not been the case for me! I agree about getting your ferritin pulled. I was also taking tender iron when I had my labs done at 4mo post, and my ferritin was HIGH. My Dr was referring me to a hemo, when I told him I had been supplementing.. by the next draw, it was normal once I cut out the extra iron.

My T3 is always on the very edge of low-out of range.. but TSH is always in the 1.7something range so I keep getting told no go on thyroid meds. (Neg for hashi..) However, I am no where near the optimal range for T3, but low-carbing (I'm not particularly low-low anymore, but for normies- yeah, low) but low carb/keto range intakes are known to benignly reduce T3. Lots of good reading out there on it- not an uncommon effect.

Thanks @Jo777 Still waiting to hear from my surgeon but don't expect much guidance with all of this. Love him but he is a true surgeon. If not bleeding and on the ground, he thinks I am good to go.

Making appointment with an endo and my PCP. Will need to handle this from this angle. I am pretty low carb right now. It is the only thing that works for me and I am trying to make the best of my first year and get as low as I can go. Could be the T3 issue. My mom has a really bad thyroid and that is why I try to be vigilant. Honestly I think my dose is not even therapeutic, it's the lowest they make.

I am so very sorry to hear this. I didn't have a good experience with my surgeon for other reasons. They are trying ways to stop my story and others from getting out. They have operated before, never checked on that person for weeks or months. All about the $$$$ from the surgery it appears. They send lawyers after you even though they know they are not right (intimidation). Gaslighting and blacklisting are other behaviors they appear to be familiar with.

"Still waiting to hear from my surgeon but don't expect much guidance with all of this. Love him but he is a true surgeon. If not bleeding and on the ground, he thinks I am good to go."

@swimbikerun Sorry to hear about that. That sounds horrible. My surgeon is nothing like that. He is just one of those go live a normal life and you will be fine. If I have any pressing needs I know I can call him and have emailed his staff with fairly simple questions. He has been nothing but kind to me and since I am out of town he even gave me his cell number. I do think his guidelines for vitamins and diet are seriously lacking.

@swimbikerun Sorry to hear about that. That sounds horrible. My surgeon is nothing like that. He is just one of those go live a normal life and you will be fine. If I have any pressing needs I know I can call him and have emailed his staff with fairly simple questions. He has been nothing but kind to me and since I am out of town he even gave me his cell number. I do think his guidelines for vitamins and diet are seriously lacking.

I envy you!! That is how some are. It is why I am such a proponent of checking out not the good things they say but how they deal with problems (or shuffle them off to their admin/lawyers).

Latest posts

Back