Dehydration--rehydrating?

I need some advice. I had my DS on 17 Dec and have had problems getting enough fluids down ever since. I've been able to get down about 60 ozs maybe 1/2 the time. I continue to sip, sip, sip as much as possible. Until a few days ago, I had a horrendous time with bloating, gas and nausea. I'm continuing to take a PPI in the morning and 4 doses of gas-x/beano, along with zofran twice a day. That's helped some, but I still have a lot of gas and nausea. This has made it hard for me to get fluids in without feeling like I want to vomit. And at this point I can't tolerate any protein drinks and barely tolerate meat. I did get some beneprotein (similar to benefiber) and with that have been able to get my protein intake up to about 40-50 a day by adding it to most food and yogurt.

I'm supposed to be on soft foods now, but have found in the past 2 days that soup seems to work best. I'm also drinking a lot of peppermint tea--warm drink seems to do better than cold. I've read your advice to several re food (including the latest to @kittykatkiss) and am very appreciative of it and will try it out. At least I know I don't need to be up to 80 gm as the nutritionist wants.

My question is about dehydration at this point...I'm concerned that I can't rehydrate and get to normal and am not sure what to do. I've developed symptoms of moderate dehydration (dry eyes, turgid skin, headache, fatigue, concentrated urine). I've been trying the past few days to really up my intake, but am still capping out at 60 oz. Should I be concerned? Any thoughts on how to up the intake?

A couple of points:

1. If you get to dehydrated go to the ER and get fluids.
  2. As far as getting food and liquid down, I needed Carafate early on as it stopped many of the symptoms you described. Carafate is a prescription liquid suspension for ulcers as it coats the stomach so you drink it before eating or drinking. It really helped me.
  3. I could not do protein drinks of any kind at all and I struggled very hard to get fluids in as everything tasted nasty and I had a lot of nausea. Finally I found grape crush drink flavoring packets that I add to water to this day nearly 2.5 years post op.
  4. Sunflower seeds, cashews and almonds also helped me to drink more because it made me thirsty. I just cant' drink when I am not thirsty.
  5. Be careful with the peppermint tea as it can make GERD symptoms worse. I know a lot of people think it is soothing but it is actually a GERD triggering food.
  6. Just keep trying liquids of any kind that you can. Remember soup counts as liquid if you can get any of that down. Wonton soup broth, egg drop, some liked tomato soup early on (might not go well with GERD symptoms), chicken noodle or cream of chicken soup (might want to use lactaid for the cream soups.
Good luck and don't hesitate to go to the ER if your symptoms get worse. A couple of bags of fluid will make a big difference.

You're only 2 weeks out. I couldn't get down more than about 40 oz of fluids and only do 60 now at 7+ weeks.

Good Morning @Readyforchange - I agree with @DSRIGGS here - the symptoms you describe can also be from the dehydration. The ER can sure fix you up - a bag or 2 of IV fluids may make you feel like a new person. With the symptoms you mentioned, it is time to get some fluids. You wont be able to drink enough to 'catch-up'. Give the doc a call this morning to get you some fluids.

I was not on any solid food at 3 - 4 weeks out. it is good you have figured out that warm fluids work better. Your stomach is still swollen and tender and any vomiting will sure make that worse. drink anything you can that will work for you. I found I enjoyed tomato juice - lots of folks can't drink that because of the stomach irritation so proceed slowly.

Keep us posted!

I would head to the ER and get fluid. You are most likely to the point where YOU can not take in enough to rehydrate. Once you have some fluid in you, then you can keep up but catching up is not likely.

Thanks, everyone! I was hoping to avoid the ER. It seems silly to have to go there for that purpose. But, I certainly would like to feel better and if that's what it takes. ...

Thanks, Scott, for the tip on the peppermint tea. I had no idea it is GERD trigger. I'll switch it up with other flavors. Thanks as well for the wonton and egg drop suggestions . I hadn't thought of them and I did like them prior to surgery. I'll give them a try!

Dr. Smith was adamant last week that I bump up the fluid intake. Although he wanted me to increase the protein as possible, he was more concerned about the fluids. He's the one who suggested the soups and eating any kind regardless of protein /carb content to help . He also provided some tips on gas and does want me to call if it's not improved. So I guess I will be calling today. I wasn't showing symptoms of dehydrain as much when I saw him last Weds. Things started getting worse over the weekend.

Thanks again to everyone! I'll let you know how things proceed.
Leigh Ann

I agree with your Dr that hydration is critical. Protein get what you can but you will be okay as your body has stores. I ate some cream of wheat with half and half early on as it was about only thing I could eat. Didn't get much at all in (an ounce or two) but it was some sustenance and a little protein. Sure some carbs but not enough to bother me. It gave me a little energy.

And no problem.. We are here to help. Try anything that works for fluids... That is the key and Btw I went to ER at least twice for fluids. It is a serious condition so don't feel like it isn't. They certainly will think it is serious.

Latest posts

Back