Back to the land of the living

Newb

my surgery was on Wednesday and I came home from the hospital on Friday. I think I'm doing really well. The first 3 days were a bit rough, but overall, I think I'm past the worst of it. My pain is the worst in the morning, but I think That is because I haven't taken anything for roughly 12 hours. I'm taking double doses of pain meds during the day, it really helps me be most Active. It's the same dose that they were giving me the last 2 days in the hospital. I'm having no issues getting my protein in, water is harder. the only time I felt really nauseous was wile I was in the hospital and I was trying to move as much as I could. I think the nausea was just from Pain. That has passed. I am getting 30 g of protein from shakes and yogurt with no problems I feel thirsty a lot, but also full, making water more difficulty of get in. I was able to do things around the house yesterday, followed by a nap. Whenever I feel like I need a nap, I just take one. My only concern at this point is that I haven't pooped yet. It took me over48 hours just to pass gas in the hospital, so I'm thimking the poop will come when it is ready. I don't feel constipated or anything, just not much is happening down there. Any advice on foods beyond shakes, pudding, jello, yogurt, broth? I hate fake sweetener, and besides broth, shakes are a bit sweet. I know this is temporary and really, I'm doing ok with the foods, really looking forward to real food, just not yet

Congratulations! Do take all the naps you need - you might find week 2 harder than week 1, and naps were my saving grace.

It took me until day 6 or 7 to have a bowel movement. Don't get too concerned.

Sorry you're in pain. I think they release people too early in the US. I was in the hospital for 4 nights so was feeling ok without pain meds on discharge. (A good thing since they didn't give me any meds to take home!)

I'm amazed you were able to do anything around the house so soon. This surgery really knocks the stuffing out of you. I napped every day and I never napped before. Take it easy and just concentrate of fluids and healing.

My surgeon did not allow yogurt or pudding for 10 days. Protein drinks had to be made with water, too. (I couldn;t stand sweet protein drinks made with water vs milk or alone milk.) Have you tried Unjury chicken soup protein drink?

Your bowels were cleaned out so you don;t have much to poop as yet. And milk products (yogurt and pudding) can be constipating. My first poop came about 5-6 days after, then was on a 4 day schedule.

Did you have lap or open?

Oh yeah, the first two weeks suck...just stay hydrated using whatever feels best. I became lactose intolerant straight out of the gate...naps are your friend. But also walk (around the dining room table, up and down a hallway).

Congrats! Glad you are doing well.

I couldn't (and still can't) tolerate sweet protein shakes either. In addition to the Unjury chicken soup, I took a lot of homemade bone broth. Egg drop soup from the local Chinese place was also a lifesaver for me - sometimes with protein powder mixed in. Unflavored egg white protein powder worked (still works) best for me - usually plain, but sometimes with a bit of dark cocoa powder and a couple drops of stevia if I want something different.
Keep trying things and you'll find what works for you. Also, if something doesn't work, try it again in a couple of weeks as your tastes and tolerances will likely evolve.

Not lactose intolerant and thrilled. Looking in to unjury. I'm surprised by how much I am able to do. Hoping week 2 isn't worse, I'm surprised myself at how well I am handling this

I felt great in the first week - hell, day 4 I went sightseeing in Montreal at -25C! I did a 10-hour train journey down to New York! The second week I felt like I'd been run over by a truck and spent almost all of my time in NYC asleep in bed. Everyone's experience is different, though. Try to take it easy.

Glad to know this. People keep telling me to take it easy, not overdo it, but I'm feeling like if I can I should because it will help me heal faster. Yesterday, one of my dogs jumped on my stomach, thought I was going to pass out, took a nap and was just less active the rest of the day. My surgery was lap, not open

Ver
Congrats! Glad you are doing well.

I couldn't (and still can't) tolerate sweet protein shakes either. In addition to the Unjury chicken soup, I took a lot of homemade bone broth. Egg drop soup from the local Chinese place was also a lifesaver for me - sometimes with protein powder mixed in. Unflavored egg white protein powder worked (still works) best for me - usually plain, but sometimes with a bit of dark cocoa powder and a couple drops of stevia if I want something different.
Keep trying things and you'll find what works for you. Also, if something doesn't work, try it again in a couple of weeks as your tastes and tolerances will likely evolve.
Veryy good suggestions

Glad to know this. People keep telling me to take it easy, not overdo it, but I'm feeling like if I can I should because it will help me heal faster. Yesterday, one of my dogs jumped on my stomach, thought I was going to pass out, took a nap and was just less active the rest of the day. My surgery was lap, not open
Even lap doesn't change how the insides were done. Your outside will heal in 7-10 days but the insides were mangled and put back together. They are pissy and swollen and will take 6-8 weeks to heal. THAT is why taking it easy is suggested.

Your bowels were cleaned out so you don;t have much to poop as yet. And milk products (yogurt and pudding) can be constipating. My first poop came about 5-6 days after, then was on a 4 day schedule.
@Clematis do you mean her bowels were cleaned out with an enema or by pre-op liquid diets? Or during the surgery? It's so amazing what the difference is between foods allowed from surgeon to surgeon and when.
@Newb I'm so glad to hear you're doing this well. Our littlest fur-baby (but still heavy) likes to lay half on me with her front legs on my chest/belly. I have already been thinking I'm going to have to watch out...ouch. Please don't overdo though, ok?

I'm feeling like if I can I should because it will help me heal faster.

NO. You should be sensible and take it easy. Don't push your limits. You can't feel much of what's happened in your gut because of all the nerves that were cut. That's why things are often a LOT harder after a week or ten days, because communication is getting reestablished and you're getting more messages that you did indeed get sliced and diced at the complexity level of, say, an organ transplant.

Congratulations on your succesful procedure, @Newb . Please take it easy and hydrate. If water is difficult maybe experience with temperature. I found broth or tea would go down easiest. Remember immediate post-op period a time where you are at greater risk for developing a hernia, so really make sure to limit lifting and sudden movements. All the best!

Latest posts

Back