YMMV-article about the individual response to carbs

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Mostly diabetes related but can apply to any person's response to carbs.

http://wildlyfluctuating.blogspot.com/2015/11/ymmv.html

The study by researchers at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Isreal used continuous glucose monitors to measure the BG levels of 800 healthy and prediabetic people after their meals for a week, and put this information along with what they ate, information from stool samples, and other physiological information into computers and analyzed it. They even gave them identical foods for some of their meals.

What they found was that the people differed greatly in how they responded to various foods; the glycemic index, a measure of how much your BG levels are supposed to rise after eating carbohydrate, varied among the participants. “In some cases, individuals have opposite response to one another, and this is really a big hole in the literature," said Eran Segal, the lead author of the study.

"After seeing this data, I think about the possibility that maybe we're really conceptually wrong in our thinking about the obesity and diabetes epidemic," he added. "The intuition of people is that we know how to treat these conditions, and it's just that people are not listening and are eating out of control--but maybe people are actually compliant but in many cases we were giving them wrong advice."

The study the blog is based on is here: http://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(15)01481-6

This is pretty interesting stuff. I wish I could wear one of those glucose monitors for a week so that I could learn more about how my body reacts to certain foods!

You could test yourself many times a day if you're really interested @newanatomy Monitors are cheap (strips are not), but you can get a good intro deal for less than $30 on Amazon and diabetes sites. I like Abbott's Freestyle Lite (not regular Freestyle). According to Dr. Richard Bernstein, normal young people should read 80-90 (he says 83 is the true norm) regardless of when they are tested -- fasting or post-prandial.

YES!!!!! By doing my own dang thing, my BS has stabilised (will get A1C result soon I hope) but I haven't had a hypo in over a month and I am able to go the whole night without eating. PROGRESS!!!! :D I also don't lose on keto/LCHF/under 50g of carbs, but others are 100% opposite. It's so weird how different we all are.

I agree with the YMMV in regard to carbs. I definitely react differently than others as I just don't think I absorb carbs anymore than protein or fat as I can eat a shit pot full and not gain and ounce.

I agree with the YMMV in regard to carbs. I definitely react differently than others as I just don't think I absorb carbs anymore than protein or fat as I can eat a shit pot full and not gain and ounce.

I lost weight over christmas eating chocolate lol. Not bragging but Im shocked. My carbs weren't much more than normal, but I dropped a fair good few lbs (8 within a week).

Latest posts

Back