Which kind of iron?

Clematis

Which kind of iron? polisaccaride? carbonyl? something else? Is one better than another?

I think I saw a rec for 300mg of poly and 60 mg of carbonyl, correct?

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
Heme is best but expensive. Proferrin is a heme iron.
Heme iron has higher bioavailability than nonheme iron, and other dietary components have less effect on the bioavailability of heme than nonheme iron

Frequently used forms of iron in supplements include ferrous and ferric iron salts, such as ferrous sulfate, ferrous gluconate, ferric citrate, and ferric sulfate [3,18]. Because of its higher solubility, ferrous iron in dietary supplements is more bioavailable than ferric iron [3]. High doses of supplemental iron (45 mg/day or more) may cause gastrointestinal side effects, such as nausea and constipation [5]. Other forms of supplemental iron, such as heme iron polypeptides, carbonyl iron, iron amino-acid chelates, and polysaccharide-iron complexes, might have fewer gastrointestinal side effects than ferrous or ferric salts

I see what you mean. On Amazon, 90 Proferrin is $62.46 Subscribe and Save. At 10.5mg, how many does one usually take a day? (I realize that dosage should be based on lab results.) Pre-op Vitalady says 1 polysaccharide (I guess that's 150mg) OR 6 of her Tender Iron carbonyl. I don;t know how that relates to Proferrin dose. And it looks like another giant tablet.

I see what you mean. On Amazon, 90 Proferrin is $62.46 Subscribe and Save. At 10.5mg, how many does one usually take a day? (I realize that dosage should be based on lab results.) Pre-op Vitalady says 1 polysaccharide (I guess that's 150mg) OR 6 of her Tender Iron carbonyl. I don;t know how that relates to Proferrin dose. And it looks like another giant tablet.
The upper dose of Proferrin is 3 a day. THAT turns that 90 count bottle into a month amount. And a real bite in our vitamin budget.

What I did was find other irons. Not sure they are helping but I am trying. I take 36 mgs of an Iron Ferrochel and 150 mgs of a carbonyl iron. (The vitalady capsules upset my gut so I take the Sundown Naturals Perfect Iron).

Sundown is far far cheaper and it looks like the pills are smaller. Maybe I'll cover all the bases with a Proferrin and Sundown and Ferrochel.

My doctor prescribed proferrin forte. Call and see if your insurance covers it. Mine does. I take 3-4 a day.

I don’t wanna hi-jack this thread, but….Ive been needing to post some iron questions anyway when I had a chance, so please see my new post to tie in with this one.

It took me a few years to find an iron I tolerated. And my system is cast iron! I finally found iron glycinate and I can take that just fine. Take your prescription stuff and good on you for getting it cheap. Honestly, iron shouldn't be expensive!

Latest posts

Back