Where's an attorney when you need one?

Spiky Bugger

So weird. My sister calls to tell me that her next door neighbor called in a panic and told her come over, it was an emergency.

My sister did.

Neighbor wanted my sister to call 911 for her (the neighbor's) husband, who just had a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted and was feeling strange, because she, the neighbor, had to get dressed. (??) (My sister said the neighbor WAS dressed, but maybe needed to run a brush through her hair and maybe put on lipstick, things not always necessary in 911 situations.)

Obviously, these people need adult supervision. The guy who is physically falling apart is being cared for by the woman with dementia. What could possibly go wrong?

Funny you should ask. So my sister calls and tells me that she has advised the neighbors' daughter that I would tell them what they need to do.

I suggested (to my sister) that SOMEONE call the son who is the high rent district attorney in NY and maybe he has some poor friend here who could help them set up, oh, I dunno, maybe a Living Trust and a Durable POA for Health Care, since...do you believe this...their attorney son and cop son and (I don't know what career) the daughter have not quite gotten around to setting up such things for their parents who are ONLY 78 (with dementia) and 82 (with Parkinson's and cardio issues.)

Reminds me of a TED talk about dying, where the daughter said something like... Well, you go watch it, if in a hurry, try about 3:00-4:20

https://www.ted.com/talks/peter_saul_let_s_talk_about_dying#t-348334

Last edited:
When my Mother was admitted for pneumonia in mid May 2002, we already knew her wishes. While there they discovered she had cancer which had spread to her lungs and she stated she did not want treatment for the cancer. She knew she had to die sometime. Unfortunately renal failure was what actually caused her death. Her sister arrived just after they put her in ICU. So the three of us, her sister and my sister and I had to decide what to do. Apparently she had made her wishes clear over the years so agreement was easy. What was hard was making sure she died with as much dignity as possible.

My father and I had many of the same talks. Knowing he would not want to live dependent on machines made that decision easy and hard as well. Easy to know what to do, hard to make sure it went as he would wish.

My dh and I both have had the same chat with his youngest. Have a HC POA as well as a Living Will in place for both of us.

Having a say in what happens is vital. Open communication with family is vital. Getting it legalized is critical.

http://www.haveyouhadthetalk.com/toolkit.php

I attended a workshop a few weeks ago about end care and wishes. This might be a good place to start.

Being in health care has shaped my views. My mother had a very serious stroke and could not swallow easily. My sister wanted to get a feeding tube because she couldn't bear to "starve Mom". Seeing a future of aspiration pneumonia and other complications, I was against it, but I was in TN and my family in OH. Fortunately, the decision was taken out of our hands when Mom died shortly after our conversation. My F-I-L had everything in place and my husband & siblings respected his wishes. So many people override the Living Wills and Advanced Directives. Those papers are not iron clad, but better than no planning at all.

Reminds me - our wills, trust, and directives are all under CA law, and we don't live there anymore ... time to add another item to the "to-do" list.

We didn't deal with that and ended up moving BACK...lol, so we might be covered. A few address changes needed.

Latest posts

Back