Well that happened...

Chijulie1432

no DS for me just the sleeve. :(

Hard intabate and a funky liver so if I don't have good weight loss I can possibly switch over at a later date. What a bummer!

Oh, no! Look on it as one step on a longer journey that will make you healthier in the end. Have you thought about getting a second opinion from another surgeon?

I am sorry for what must have been very disappointing. What is going on with your liver?

Wait a minute! 2nd opinion time!!!! Don't give up too fast! Fight!

Well crap... I forgot the surgery date and didn't realize it was already done.

I hate it when they don't do the procedure you signed up for. Happens way too often.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. You must be disappointed.

What does funky liver mean? I just had my abdominal u/s today, and the tech had the hardest time finding my left kidney. I was like, um, pretty sure it's still there!

So sorry! You must be so disappointed, but safety comes first, and between a tough intubation and your recent illness, I can understand they were concerned about your airway. If you can't breathe, well, it wouldn't matter what operation you had.
Give it maybe 6 months. that will be time for inflammation from this surgery to resolve, for your liver to improve with your weight loss, and your upper resp infection will be long gone. Airway might even be easier with less neck fat.
Which reminds me, have you been tested for sleep apnea?

Hi @Chijulie1432 . While I can only imagine how very disappointing it would be to wake up to the news, I am so glad you are out of the OR without complications and onto recovery. You will have to really work your sleeve and hopefully the great weight loss you are about to experience (think positively!) will make for a more typical liver, so the switch will be available to you later if needed. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and make sure to stay hydrated!

So sorry! You must be so disappointed, but safety comes first, and between a tough intubation and your recent illness, I can understand they were concerned about your airway. If you can't breathe, well, it wouldn't matter what operation you had.
Give it maybe 6 months. that will be time for inflammation from this surgery to resolve, for your liver to improve with your weight loss, and your upper resp infection will be long gone. Airway might even be easier with less neck fat.
Which reminds me, have you been tested for sleep apnea?
Hi Larra. I agree completely on the safety first aspect but I have a question. If she was already intubated she already has the airway established so I am confused about that part. The liver I thing I get.

Thanks

@DSRIGGS what @Chijulie1432 is describing, as far as I can tell, is a bad combination of an airway that is difficult to intubate to start with, combined with a recent infection of some sort. She was fine during the surgery, but at some point that tube has to come out, usually right after the surgery, and at that point, with enough irritation, the airway can shut down and the tube needs to be put back in - and in her case that might be very difficult because of that bad combination of factors. So between that and the funky liver, they made a judgement call to do something simple and get her off the OR table and back to breathing on her own as quickly as possible.
Did they make the right call? Could they have gotten away with doing the full DS? I have no idea. I do know that I don't like the approach of doing something with the thought that, well, I think we can get away with it. If they did that and they were wrong, Julie might not be here to tell us about it.

Thanks Larra for the explanation of the airway. That makes sense.

I am not questioning the team's decision (assumming that anesthesia and Surgeon make this call together) to only do the sleeve. I just didn't understand the airway part since breathing support was already in.

Well, I would look at it a different way. Maybe all you need is the sleeve. If not, then, you can go back and get the DS. But maybe all you need is the sleeve. I know we are so DS focused here, but the DS has some big down sides. So, it's not that you can't get the DS, its that it might be at a later time.

I went to Mexico and the woman who came at the same time, got the sleeve and took off all of her weight, had trouble keeping it off, got the DS and she said said the second part made a big difference for her, but she wanted to to try the sleeve first.

I know you are disappointed. But you are alive with a sleeve. The sleeve is 1/2 of the DS. At least YOU didnt wake up with RNY OR BAND. I cant imagine how livid I would have been but better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back