Weightloss has come to a hault.

Ray_Of_Fricken_Sunshine

Hey Y'all!
I just wanted to check in with everyone and say hello. I'm really bad about putting myself out there, but I keep trying to work on it. I'll be 6 months post op December 1st, and my weight loss has all but stopped. In the last two months, I think I've maybe lost 10 lbs. I know it slows down, but Holy Hell, I didn't expect the sudden stop. I know this means that I need to get more intense with the working out. It's just a matter of doing it.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well..
Does anyone have anything interesting going on? How was everyone's Thanksgiving!?

How much excess weight did you have to lose?
Here is what I lost on my journey: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/my-weight-loss-by-month-as-a-lw.1104/
Notice that during month four, five, and six my TOTAL weight loss those months was all of 13.6 lbs but I still lost I I needed to lose.

This is a marathon NOT a sprint. After the first 2-3 months, you want to average 1-2 lbs a week, and that’s AVERAGE not minimum. So 10 lbs in 2 months is still over a lb a week.

I lost all my excess and no, nada, zip, zero working out. I was just more active in my day.

It may mean you need to evaluate what is going in your mouth. Log everything for a few days, see what your macros are. If you need help figuring it out, you can post how many macros of protein, fat, and carbs.

Thanks, @southernlady ! So far, I've lost 100lbs... I still have 40 to go. Of course, when I first began I tracked every morsel. Now, I keep track of my protein, and I watch out for carbs, but I haven' been so precise. You're right, I need to track my macros and make sure I'm doing as well as I think I am!
I have my 6 month checkup on Friday. I'm nervous. I hope my copper has evened out some. I can't' afford to take the multi without copper and add iron, too! Sooo much more expensive! I'm rambling. Sorry. Thank you for posting your weightloss. It's always helpful to see others' progress!! You keep me grounded!

I thought I had 'stopped' losing around Christmas last year - what was then about 9 months out, at 74kg (165lbs). I have lost another 10 kg (~25lbs) since. It hasn't been fast, but it'll plateau then randomly drop. I'm not exercising outside of normal walking around, either.

First, breathe, it's a journey. As you get smaller and farther away from surgery, you slow down on weight loss. Here is what @southernlady wrote on a post to me a while ago.

This chart might help. (and notice, these are not by pounds but percentages)!
2 weeks - 5-10%
6 weeks - 10-15%
3 mos - 20-30%
6 mos - 45-55%
12 mos - 60-70%
18 mos - 75-85%
As for my journey, I lost 45% my EWL in 3 months. Another 20% in the next 3 months, and then, 15% the next three months. It slows down. I'm 15 months out and 4 pounds short of my goal. I lose about a pound or two a month now. I started at 264 and today I'm at 139.

100 lbs in 6 months, especially for someone who has 140 to lose, is freaking amazing to me.

Try to forget about those last 40lbs, and keep doing what you’re doing. I suspect they’ll be gone by another 6 months, but even if it took another year or even if you never reach there exactly, to me your weight loss is an incredible success story.

I think one of the disadvantages of the DS, in a way, is the possibility of getting to 100% EWL which is rare for anything else. The problem is that the goal calculation is still pretty arbitrary and still a rough calculation (typically not taking into account factors such as frame size). The “goal weight” is not necessarily the best weight for your body. That said, I would be a hypocrite to not mention that I also use the goal weight as a personal goal and measure of success. It is hard not to.

I think people should exercise* but for health, not for weight loss. move to put "life in your years" come what may.

:bacondance:

that said, I am constantly starting and stopping exercise programs. I'll get it right, it just might take until I'm 70 or so. :rolleyes:

* and that includes any movement like housework, gardening, any moving!

one way my new Home Health job is much less good (and in most ways it's much more good) than working in a nursing home is much less movement. less than half the number of steps according to my smart phone app.

sorry for the little hijack, there

@JackieOnLine No, you'e fine! I agree! I've been a lifelong athlete, even at my heaviest. My Entire Life, I have been Extremely muscular. I think what has shocked me the most is how much muscle I've lost in this process. My husband and my son have always credited me with Super Human Strength. It' a bit disheartening now to have to ask for help with things. My husband always gives me a pitiful look, followed by a comment about adjusting to life as a "mere mortal". LoL. I know that working out will improve my weight loss, but really, I just need my muscle tone back. I also feel like physical strength gives me more mental and emotional strength. I feel better about myself. My mother always taught us that strength(in every form) is beauty.

And @CaitlynR Thank you for the kind words. You're exactly right, too. Tying in with my comment above, I've always been muscular. Therefore, even when I was 18 and weighed 150 lbs, I *looked like* I weighed about 125. When I told my family that my doctor/nurses want me to get down to 135 lbs, the gasp was audible. LoL. Maybe its' because I come from a thick family, where 135 lbs is a perfectly acceptable weight for middle school. I can't imagine what I would look like with 40 less lbs. To be honest, though, I never would have imagined what I look like now, either. I never expected to lose all of my once bubbly and firm butt! I have had ridiculously large breasts my entire life. I mean, I was a B cupid 3rd grade, and a KK cup at surgery. They were beautiful. Haha. Now, my boobs resemble oranges that have been dropped into old tube socks. So, while I can't say that I agree with their goal weight of 135 lbs for me, I can' help but feel driven to meet it, either.
Talking with y'all really does make me feel more confident in my progress, though. I get inside my own head, and I tell myself that I'm failing. Then I see y'alls charts, and read about y'alls process, and I realize that I'm alright.
I hate that I need that reinforcement, but I am so damn grateful to receive it. Thank y'all so much.

Last edited:
Just like any other diet, the last pounds are the hardest to lose. You have done great so far. Try to remember that skin does shrink for up to 2 years after massive weightloss and the fat you have left will redistribute itself a little. I think you still have a good chance to lose the last 40 and then aim for 10% more to counteract the pretty inevitable bounceback!

Hey Y'all!
I just wanted to check in with everyone and say hello. I'm really bad about putting myself out there, but I keep trying to work on it. I'll be 6 months post op December 1st, and my weight loss has all but stopped. In the last two months, I think I've maybe lost 10 lbs. I know it slows down, but Holy Hell, I didn't expect the sudden stop. I know this means that I need to get more intense with the working out. It's just a matter of doing it.

Anyway, I hope everyone is doing well..
Does anyone have anything interesting going on? How was everyone's Thanksgiving!?

Intensity in work out is not really where to look for weight loss. Of course some cardio is great, but weight control is more about what you eat than anything else; after that I think is has to do with building more muscle mass. Lift weights, add muscle; more muscle, more caloric burn. You also feel better as you get stronger. And, don't forget to stretch and gain flexibility as you gain muscle mass. That one is what I struggle most with.

Latest posts

Back