VSL # probiotic study

bearmom

This isn't about a brand new study, and it may have already been linked to here but if so I can't find it.

I take the VSL#DS probiotic which was used in this study, as do many other DSers and found this interesting. Study suggests that probiotics may counter obesity and diabetes. I personally take this one in hopes of it helping consume excess oxalate which contribute to my kidney stones, but I settle for it's fart reducing ability.

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Research/Probiotics-may-counter-obesity-and-diabetes-NIH-study

Wow, those are super expensive. Thanks for sharing the study. I hope I won't need these. I do take a daily probiotic though.
81LzmMMC2+L._SL1500_.jpg

Sorry, that post is huge!!

I do best with probiotics that I can put into my organizer and forget about it. I have been taking an extra Garden of Life Defense Ultra pretty regularly without forgetting, patting myself on the back.

Sorry, that post is huge!!

I do best with probiotics that I can put into my organizer and forget about it. I have been taking an extra Garden of Life Defense Ultra pretty regularly without forgetting, patting myself on the back.
FIFY (Fixed it for you)
NA, dh and I are the same way. If it has to reside in the fridge, we don't remember it.
The one we use, we get at Costco. It's not a great one but it has helped us and it is the ONLY gummie I will use. Since it's just one a day, the carbs in it are not an issue.

Is this something you can buy OTC?
Yes, but there are two versions. One is just OTC, and called VSL#3, and the other is just stronger and prescription and is called VSL#3 DS.
I just get them in a packet of powder, and use one packet to make a weeks worth of yogurt. I think the directions for ulcerative colitis are 4 packets a day, but that is WAY more than I"ve ever needed.

if someone would just tell me what probiotic I should take, I will do it. @Jo777 ?
They can really be a YYMV thing. So many people were raving about the Garden of Life ones, but they didn't do much for me. I like the ones above because they have more strains, and high numbers of bugs, but again, if they aren't the specific bugs that help your gut, it's a waste.

Another one that I discovered while traveling (also at Costco, I'm incapable of shopping anywhere else) that seems to work great for me is Align, and they aren't one that requires refrigeration.

Beginning in 2010 I had minor pain in my upper right abdomen. Tons of tests and nothing. I decided to try probiotics. I like Primal Defense Ultra. I maintain now with 1 pill before breakfast: T,Th,Sa,Sun and 1 pill before breakfast and 1 before dinner: M,W,F. When I first began, I took a good deal more.

Pretty much doesn't do anything for gas/stool odor for me. I just take it to keep the pain away (which they suspect was a bacterial overgrowth). When/if I take antibiotics, I take more to try and even things out. It usually takes a while for my system to come back.

FIFY (Fixed it for you)
NA, dh and I are the same way. If it has to reside in the fridge, we don't remember it.
The one we use, we get at Costco. It's not a great one but it has helped us and it is the ONLY gummie I will use. Since it's just one a day, the carbs in it are not an issue.

Thanks, @southernlady!
The probiotic above (the one I posted) is supposed to help avoid traveler's diarrhea and other bad bugs in the tract. Here's hoping!
It is one that @Sheanie turned me onto. It is just a different brand but the same strains.

@JackieOnLine, I've read good things on the VSL stuff prior for gut issues, but not tried it, yet.. I have went through several bottles of primal defense ultra. I may give the VSL3 a try, just because anything that says anti-inflammatory right now sounds great for the sake of my guts!

Have/had not really noted much of a diff in my bloating/ibs issues with PD. I was taking several a day for months but still had bloat issues (and still do..) I have weird guts. Just last week I went on a carb/flour bender for a day/two, and for several days after had huge bloating/all-over water retention and pressure/urgency feelings.. like I really needed to pass gas/poop and couldn't. Intestinal inflammation problems. I had initially started on probiotics to see if that would calm the reaction, but honestly I just need to avoid the triggers that cause the swelling/bloat/mucous/inflammation problem in my case.

Latest posts

Back