VSG to DS : week 1 of naivete

LindaDarnell

Yesterday was one week of my surgery, and today I followed up with my surgeon to have my jp drain removed. Though I am recovering as expected, I must say my first week has been a major ...MAJOR ...wake up call for me. Though I researched the DS as a revision thoroughly for years, I honestly thought I was prepared for what im terming " hell week". Bc I had the sleeve already, I naively assumed that my recovery would be easy. But I was dead-ass wrong! I had my surgery on Wed and was home Friday night. By Sunday I began a 3 day bought of diarrhea that scared me so bad I thought I'd be hospitalized for malnutrition. On top of that I am so freaking tired....typing this post feels like a marathon. The dr, nurse, and RD all confirmed that low energy is to be expected at this stage. I just naively didnt think I'd go through it bc i was a revision! But moral of the story is every patient is different and so is their experience. I am going to get through this especially now that I understand my boundaries right now. No pity party for me...im not terminal...just a bit crazy lol!!! On a positive note, I have lost 10.2lbs since the day of my surgery..8 days ago. I'll take it!!!

Hang in there - I promise that it gets better! When do you start eating food? It might get better then. Maybe switch protein shakes? Hoping others will chime in here too. I didn't have this problem. I was complete opposite - miserable constipation for 7-10 days.

Congratulations on the weight loss, sorry you're doing it the uncomfortable way! ;-)

I had my virgin DS on March 9, and I still battle ferocious bouts of diarrhea occasionally. For me, a lot of it is related to how much I have to rely on shakes for that day's protein intake. I hope yours gets better soon.

I hope you are treating the diarrhea? Imodium is your friend. I think I carried some in my bag for maybe 3 years!
Fortunately, it subsided on it's on..mainly because I stopped eating anything. Im slowly introducing soft foods again. Thanks for the immodium tip!

16 days out from VSG to DS and I am pulling for you. I've had good days and bad days, but it is DEFINITELY harder than the sleeve. My sleeve was outpatient and of the 30 vicodin I was prescribed, I took 3. THIS surgery? So different. So, I feel you.

I hope that little by little, day by day things improve. We're with you!

16 days out from VSG to DS and I am pulling for you. I've had good days and bad days, but it is DEFINITELY harder than the sleeve. My sleeve was outpatient and of the 30 vicodin I was prescribed, I took 3. THIS surgery? So different. So, I feel you.

I hope that little by little, day by day things improve. We're with you!
Thank you so much!! I hope you have much better days as well!!!

feel better soon but whatever you do DON'T STOP EATING! I FELT like you for about 6 weeks. Having been on BOTH sides of the coin if rather be tired and loose bowels than tired, loose bowels, and malnourished. Malnourishment makes the DS REVISION look like a fun time at Disneyland. Trust and believe. it will get better slowly but surely. Focus on your hydration. DON'T worry so much about actual eating. If you can tolerate it and don't mind them get some protein shakes. A lot of people hate them but if I find one I like I don't mind drinking them. Hi Health has a brand of their own that taste pretty decent. You got this

it was four or six weeks before I was even hungry. remember, your calcium supplements can help stop you up. I second immodium.

I'm two months out and still low energy. I'm pulling for you!

This is a very tough surgery and it does drain a person big time. As Clarissa said, please try to get some nourishment (protein) even though it is hard. Like Duckman I didn't have much of an appetite for quite a while because virtually everything I ate and drank tasted like shit.

BTW, many folks become lactose intolerant after having their intestines operated so if you are drinking any milk or using cream for anything you may want to eliminate that for now and see if that helps the diarrhea situation. The protein powders tore me up in that regard.

All of this said, it really will get better so hang in there.

it was four or six weeks before I was even hungry. remember, your calcium supplements can help stop you up. I second immodium.

I'm two months out and still low energy. I'm pulling for you!
Thank you!!!! I just hope 2 months out im not this tired...whoa is me

To be honest, I felt like my batteries were empty for a good three months. The first month was definitely the roughest, but I had no desire to eat anything, and mostly spent my free time taking naps. It does get better, but be kind to yourself! Your body's entire system of getting and using its fuel has been disrupted.

This is a very tough surgery and it does drain a person big time. As Clarissa said, please try to get some nourishment (protein) even though it is hard. Like Duckman I didn't have much of an appetite for quite a while because virtually everything I ate and drank tasted like shit.
Omgeee!!! U summed it up perfectly!!! My hubby (virgin ds 10 weeks out) and described it that exact way. When we go to the bathroom #1 or #2, all we smell are vitamins, yogurt and protein powder!! Obviously we dont have an appetite for anything after going through this! BUT I know it willget better. I just had to get over the intial shock of my naivete

BTW, many folks become lactose intolerant after having their intestines operated so if you are drinking any milk or using cream for anything you may want to eliminate that for now and see if that helps the diarrhea situation. The protein powders tore me up in that regard.

All of this said, it really will get better so hang in there.

I was 12 days from turning 50 when I had my DS. I went back to work (desk job, part time first week) on day 20; went on a business trip to NYC and DC (and giving a talk) at 5 weeks; went to Paris at 8 weeks out (part work, part vacay with a friend during a break in her chemo for ovarian cancer - our energy levels were about the same - walk, eat, walk some more); went back to the UK (London & Edinburgh) for another work/vacay at 2-1/2 months out. I was easily tired, but not so much that I didn't enjoy it.

And the best thing about the first few months is you reach a crossing point in your recovery where you still have the muscles from lugging your fat self around, but now you weigh less, so you actually start feeling almost artificially STRONGER - it's kind of a mini-rush.

Latest posts

Back