Vit. C & Iron

This is helpful. I see you take Vit. C in a capsule. The one I have is a tablet and the real problem is my saliva is citrus-y the whole day. Even my food is affected by that taste and I know it's not good for my teeth to have an acidic saliva. I think I'll look for a capsule Vit C.

Thanks again.

I take mine just before bed or sometimes in the middle of the night, if I've had a snack. It gaged me to have to chew those huge vitamin C tablets. That is when I switched to a capsule form. Much better!

Last edited:
My bedtime is my ibuprofen. Middle of the night is thyroid meds. I'm about to give up on oral iron...in spite of taking two different kids every day, my ferritin dropped 150 points in 6 months.

I take mine just before bed or sometimes in the middle of the night, if I've had a snack. It gaged me to have to chew those huge vitamin C tablets. That is when I switched to a capsule form. Much better!
Mine was a tablet. When I took it with the iron it just ruined my saliva for the whole day. Today I haven't taken it with the iron (till I get the capsules) and my saliva is almost back to normal.

What kind do you take?
I was taking Proferrin ES (2 a day) and 6 of the Sundown Naturals Perfect Iron. I still take the Sundown but the Proferrin got way to pricey so I found a Ferrochel iron. Take 2 (36 mgs) of those a day.

I had some wiggle room...my ferritin in Feb was 348 (I had an iron infusion in Sept 2014). In Aug it came in at 207. And that was taking iron every damned day. I know that right now it's fine and I am still taking iron. And I will finish all I have in the house which will get me to Jan/Feb time frame just in time for a new set of labs. I just don't see oral iron helping long term.

I am lucky when it comes to Iron/Ferritin that my values are good without supplementing. That being said I think I am going to start taking vitamin C to see if it helps my energy. Can't hurt to try and I think I have some sitting in the cabinet anyway.

I was taking Proferrin ES (2 a day) and 6 of the Sundown Naturals Perfect Iron. I still take the Sundown but the Proferrin got way to pricey so I found a Ferrochel iron. Take 2 (36 mgs) of those a day.

I had some wiggle room...my ferritin in Feb was 348 (I had an iron infusion in Sept 2014). In Aug it came in at 207. And that was taking iron every damned day. I know that right now it's fine and I am still taking iron. And I will finish all I have in the house which will get me to Jan/Feb time frame just in time for a new set of labs. I just don't see oral iron helping long term.

Have you ever tried the Poly-Iron 150 Cap? It became OTC (from Rx) over the last year or so.

Latest posts

Back