US to Canadian Blood Work Level Translation....

jillc

Since the US uses the imperial system and Canada uses metric, I was searching around to see what the 'normal' levels are for certain tests in Canuck-speak.

I found this wonderful document that I thought I would share - the URL is:
http://www.ccpe-cfpc.com/en/pdf_files/drug_lists/normal_values.pdf
And here's the doc. :)

Now I will be blood bilingual :D

Attachments

• normal_values.pdf
    33.4 KB · Views: 2
Oh I realize that @newanatomy, thanks. But you guys talk about your results and I didn't have the foggiest what your numbers meant. Now I can go back and forth and "translate".

Since the US uses the imperial system and Canada uses metric, I was searching around to see what the 'normal' levels are for certain tests in Canuck-speak.

I found this wonderful document that I thought I would share - the URL is:
http://www.ccpe-cfpc.com/en/pdf_files/drug_lists/normal_values.pdf
And here's the doc. :)

Now I will be blood bilingual :D

Canadian (Ontario) here. Most of the US numbers are also metric - it is the measurement system of science. In some cases the US labs use decaliters rather than litres or similar, so the decimals need to be slid around - I found that a little confusing early on.

As newanatomy says, your lab's reference ranges are the most important to judge your levels. I have found range differences from the LifeLabs lab I usually use, and the hospitals are often different. And over time, the reference ranges have changed - perhaps the medical community have determined new targets, or perhaps the lab is using different equipment or procedures. These changes make it more challenging to track one's trends over time.

I have found it helpful to use an online conversion calculator when reading some of the medical studies about supplements.

Any always best to target top end of reference ranges, except for PTH and B6 which should be low

Latest posts

Back