Blood work

nedsmehlp

I have a Dr. appt. tomorrow. She hasn't tested my vitamin levels yet. I had DS April 7th. I called her office today to see if see would order vitamin D, A, Zinc along with the normal bloodwork she does once a year. They said she doesn't order those because Medicare won't cover them. They don't cover iron testing either. Has anyone else had trouble with Medicare covering these? Is it to soon to have these blood tests? Thanks for any input.

I have a Dr. appt. tomorrow. She hasn't tested my vitamin levels yet. I had DS April 7th. I called her office today to see if see would order vitamin D, A, Zinc along with the normal bloodwork she does once a year. They said she doesn't order those because Medicare won't cover them. They don't cover iron testing either. Has anyone else had trouble with Medicare covering these? Is it to soon to have these blood tests? Thanks for any input.
HORSEHOCKEY. Coded correctly they ARE covered.
I have a Medicare Advantage policy and mine are completely covered twice a year. Give her a copy of the lab slip from here which includes the IDS-10 codes and have her submit it. IF she has access to EPIC, there is a bariatric panel that just needs a small amount of tweaking to make it easier to get ordered.

Your doctor just wants to be lazy. Ask her if she will pay for all the effects of vitamin malnutrition if she continues to refuse to order all the proper labs?

I had first labs at 3 months, 3 months later at 6 months, first surgiversary, then every 6 months thereafter.

Here is what is ordered:

DX: Intestinal Malabsorption 579.9

CBC w/ Platelets and Diff.

COMPREHENSIVE METABOLIC PANEL

COPPER, Serum

CERULOPLASMIN

FASTING LIPID PANEL

FERRITIN, Serum

FOLATE

IRON, Serum

MAGNESIUM, Serum

NIACIN (Vitamin B3) PROTECT FROM LIGHT!!

PHOSPHORUS, Serum

PTH, intact

THIAMINE (Vitamin B1), Whole Blood

TSH

SELENIUM, Serum

VITAMIN A, 2ml Serum FROZEN

VITAMIN B1 (Thiamine)

VIAMIN B3 (Niacin) PROTECT FROM LIGHT!!

VITAMIN B6, Plasma, FOIL WRAPPED!!

VITAMIN B12

VITAMIN D, 25 HYDROXY

VITAMIN E

VITAMIN K1

ZINC, Serum

She is right that Medicare part A does not cover those vitamin lab tests. You may have to explain to the staff what other parts of Medicare you have. If you have part B, Medicare Advantage (part C), or a Medicare Supplement insurance policy, the tests may be covered, but it is worth finding out exactly how much and under what circumstances. I only have Medicare part A because my husbands insurance covers me as primary insurer, but I got a $2000+ lab bill for vitamin testing (in the hospital) when the lab put in only for Medicare. It went down to $30 when they resubmitted with BC/BS.

If you've hung around this site long enough @nedsmehlp , you've learned that DSers have to advocate for our own health. If your physician won't order the tests you need and/or if your Medicare won't cover them, we have a source for an independent laboratory through @star0210. You don't even need your doc to write the order. (However I would think about switching to a more responsive PCP.) Yes, it costs (I think others have said it's about $500) but this is your LIFE we're talking about here.

Southernlady, where do I find the lab slip on this site? I must be looking in the wrong spots. Thanks

Latest posts

Back