Upcoming situation

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
Hey guys,
So I have a unique situation coming up and I'm already panicking about it and hoping you guys can offer some advice. I just accepted a new teaching job that requires a week stay in the capitol for training. At first I was really stoked about it, getting a room paid for and a stipend I thought it would be like a mini vacation. I was excited to get to catch up on my shows at night in between my online masters assignments without all the distractions when I'm home, plus I figured I'd stock the mini fridge with my DS foods and be good to go. Until I found out I'll be sharing a room with a stranger. Dun dun dunnnnnn! What in the fuck? I'm not a college freshman that's cool with doing that, plus, and more importantly, how am I to handle the bathroom and gas situation???? I'm going to be anxious as hell (I have generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder)and when my anxiety is bad, I tend to shove carbs in my face to calm me down. I can't drink a bunch of wine unless I wanna lose my job before it starts and I don't wanna be too doped up on x ana x all week. Hubby thinks I should stay in a different hotel and we'll pay for it or see if they have a group rate at that hotel or something, but money is super tight from unsteady paychecks at my current job (which is why I'm leaving) and I dunno if we can swing it. The thought of *attempting* to sleep in a room with a strange person actually gave me nightmares last night! Ugh!

hey! I am also a Big Boatload of anxiety!

other than that I don't know what to say other than pay for a private room if that is what you need to do. it is worth it not to be stressing like this.

Ooh, I hear ya! I took my class to science camp last November. I was told I would have my own cabin, but not told I would share with 2 others! One was even a male parent! While we each had our own room we had to share a bathroom which opened right onto the tiny living room. I panicked! Brought my Poo Pouri and used it a lot and just hoped for the best! After the first day, I just decided that everyone's poop stinks and too bad if mine was unbelievably foul. I tried to go after everyone left in the morning and did scout out another public bathroom where I could go 'undercover' early in the morning. I've done that at hotels, too. Worked out ok I guess. No one said anything (to my face.) Good luck!

That is such a bummer! Why do companies think that it's okay to make adult strangers share a room? Well, because we let them. I would call and see if there was any way you could "pay the difference" for a single room. See if they can get you a better option. Good luck!

@brooklyngirl If by "capitol" you mean DC, give me a PM. We should definitely make plans as I live in Northern Virginia. If you mean Albany, good luck to you. :eek:

omg, I understand! That is so not acceptable to me either, even before surgery. I would try to find out what I could about the room. do you have to share the BR and bedroom or will it be like a 2 bedroom suite. I suspect it is share, but that might make it a bit easier. Good luck to you

That seems really outrageous. I think you should get your own room at that hotel and pay the difference (ie you will be paying half the room rate which is likely cheaper than another hotel and much more convenient). I'm sure the organizers will understand if you make this request and i bet you will not be the only one!

I would pull a HIPAA protected medical card: "I need to discuss the unexpected housing arrangements. I have medical conditions which would make it quite difficult and uncomfortable, not only for me, but for a roommate, to share a bedroom and bathroom. I must have my own private accommodations. Please advise how my needs can be accommodated." And then see what they say.

I'm of the opinion that a medical discussion isn't needed. Just tell them you are uncomfortable sharing a room with a stranger. But you will be glad to pay the difference in the cost. If they ask why, just tell them you do not want to share a hotel room with someone you have never met.

Oh, I wouldn't discuss any SPECIFIC medical conditions - that would not be appropriate. I would just make it sound like thre were potential ADA issues involved - use words like "reasonable accommodations." Modesty and being shy are not forceful enough.

Now, if it was me, I might say "Have you ever shared a bathroom with someone with a colostomy bag?" And "Have you ever shared a bedroom with someone who has severe obstructive sleep apnea?" "Not saying I have either, but it may give you a sense of what this might be like for both parties."

@OldBroad it's in the state Capitol in SC, I figured writing "Columbia" would have no meaning for most ;) I moved down here about a year and a half ago :)

So the update is that I called the main office to "get some info" which was mostly true since my new boss handed me a printout of the email with the 9,000 character link to follow to register, with half of the characters cut off, instead of asking for my email and forwarding it to me (yeah. She's a cliche old southern woman. I won't say too old to be running a business, but definitely not keeping up with technology except minimally and by force. I won't even get into the seriously offensive story she told me about one of the non-English speaking kids, yet.)

anywaysssss, they gave me the # for the regional director who was super nice and in my asking questions about times and registration, SHE brought up the shared room situation and said that it's something she's never been happy about (they try to make them share when they travel also) and she said to make a note on my registration that I'd like my own room and I'll pay the difference, and if there are any left in the hotel, it's not a problem. No explanation needed. Although I did throw in that I need quiet and privacy to get my online master's schoolwork done, for good measure :rolleyes: I figured even if there aren't any left, I'm just gotta go to a Motel 6 or something.

After posting here and on FB, I realized I'm not being a super huge baby and that it's not out of the ordinary to feel this way, DS poop or no DS poop, so I feel better about it. Dunno how I'm gonna pay for it, but I'd rather pimp myself on the corner than obsess over a stranger watching me sleep and hearing me toot :D

Absolutely, you are not being a baby. Since when do adults share rooms unless there is an established relationship? And then I'm not sure I'd want to share a room even with my sister. I love her, but I shared a room with her for 20 years and I like having one to myself every now and then.

Some people take a course of Flagyl (7-10 days prior) to deal with a shared room. I know a couple who did it on cruises and it helped.

Some people take a course of Flagyl (7-10 days prior) to deal with a shared room. I know a couple who did it on cruises and it helped.
Ugh, doesn't that knock out all the good bugs along with the bad ones? I feel like that's asking for trouble in the long run. Something to consider only in a real "emergency" for me.

Latest posts

Back