TMI - Bowel Prep isn't working!

Amey

Murphys Law.... I drank the magnesium citrate 3 hours ago for the bowel prep for surgery on the morning.... And.... NOTHING!! I called the office's after hours number but that was almost an hour ago and nobody has called me back. What should I do?

If this kicks in at 3AM while I'm sleeping then it's not going to be a pretty picture.

Let nature take its course. If that means 3 am, so be it. You did your part. The really important step is having an empty stomach at the time of surgery to prevent aspiration of stomach contents into your lungs. Having an empty colon is less important because the surgeon won't be operating on your colon, just your stomach and small intestine.

I didn't have to do any bowel prep, just liquid diet the day before and nil by mouth from 10pm the night before the surgery.

Good luck! It will be uneventful and boring, and you'll wake up on the losers bench.

Dr Simper just called me and said if it doesn't work then it's not a big deal. I just don't get doctors...

I have been on clear liquids since 3 and npo not even water after midnight. I'm going to shower and try to sleep. I'll try to post in the morning.

Dr Simper just called me and said if it doesn't work then it's not a big deal. I just don't get doctors...

I have been on clear liquids since 3 and npo not even water after midnight. I'm going to shower and try to sleep. I'll try to post in the morning.
I am not sure what you were expecting Simper to say but feel good in knowing that you will be fine Amey. Try to relax.

FYI - I have had numerous gut surgeries and I have never done a bowel prep for anything other than a colonoscope.

Sorry, I am afraid it will start working later. Not going to be a fun night. Try to get some rest in between trips to the potty. Maybe a nice bath?

Latest posts

Back