The gassssss...please help!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you Linda Darnell for posing this question! !!!!!! I felt to humiliated to ask this! Mine is so bad, my husband has had to sleep out in the living room cause the smell actually makes him sick! It smells our whole house up. I am heading to Walmart in the morning! I'm going to call my Dr and see if he'll give me a prescription for Flagyl.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Linda Darnell for posing this question! !!!!!! I felt to humiliated to ask this! Mine is so bad, my husband has had to sleep out in the living room cause the smell actually makes him sick! It smells our whole house up. I am heading to Walmart in the morning! I'm going to call my Dr and see if he'll give me a prescription for Flagyl.

Honey, I understand your pain!!! My hubs, who also had the DS, was so patient with my gas issues. His gas has been under control, but mine was just awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However, since I first posted this, I started the probiotics, and it has made a huge difference. The only problems I had were last night, but I knew why...I slipped off the wagon, and ate a lot of chocolate candy at work. So it was to be expected. However, it still wasn't as persistent and stinky as it has been. As my 12 year old son put it, it was just "regular stank" lol.

Honey, I understand your pain!!! My hubs, who also had the DS, was so patient with my gas issues. His gas has been under control, but mine was just awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However, since I first posted this, I started the probiotics, and it has made a huge difference. The only problems I had were last night, but I knew why...I slipped off the wagon, and ate a lot of chocolate candy at work. So it was to be expected. However, it still wasn't as persistent and stinky as it has been. As my 12 year old son put it, it was just "regular stank" lol.

So glad that you are seeing improvement with the probiotics!

Beware the added lactose / skim milk powder in the chocolates, especially Hershey or Nestle brands. Beware the sugar alcohols in sugar free chocolates: maltitol, sorbitol, mannitol, lactitol, and xylitol. These are gas-inducing for normies...

Okay…so this worked for me…and likely will again once I’m doing more meal planning/preparing. Right now, my appetite and ability to cook are wanky.

1-Here’s some food I could barely tolerate. BUT, it is SHORT TERM and requires no thought on your part.

2-If you order it, ALSO order the (when I purchased) $99 three-LONG-consults-w/RD package. Most (I think it’s +/- 80%). people experience relief with a few days on this SHORT TERM, HIGHLY RESTRICTIVE DIET.

3- Still working for you? Now it’s time to add back in different types and quantities of food. I learned, for example, that I can eat five or ten whole almonds, but 15 almonds cause chaos. And I’m in the group of folks who can eat 1/2 of a GREENISH banana, no problem. If I wait three hours, I can even eat the other half! This part is where the RD is REALLY helpful.

4-I still have a lot more to learn. And the RDs know it all.

5- Lower budget? Consider trying the MONASH University App for everyday meal planning. (And remember that an Australian tablespoon is bigger than a US tablespoon.). I think it’s <$10 and they have THEIR Learn About Living on a Low FODMAP Diet online class program (same stuff, different teaching techniques) for +/- $30.

6- GOOD LUCK!

https://modifyhealth.com/

Another good ref was Dr K review of a russian probiotic study for SIBO, often a cause of these problems

This Russian study was also discussed here on this site.

Takeaway.. you can't get the probiotic they used here in the US, but Primo defense ultra has 3 of the 4 bacteria they used, and align pro has the other, both available on Amazon

Last edited:
Another good ref was Dr K review of a russian probiotic study for SIBO, often a cause of these problems

This Russian study was also discussed here on this site.

Takeaway.. you can't get the probiotic they used here in the US, but Primo defense ultra has 3 of the 4 bacteria they used, and align pro has the other, both available on Amazon

Yes. DianaCox found this info years ago. Intermittently since then, we have REdiscovered their lack of availability.

Thanks spiky

I did try the fodmap , and got the Monash app per your suggestion. I admire your dedication, that is a slew of rules to follow. I boiled them down to no fiber, no carbs, and no itols, though perusing their literature I realize there are specific substances to avoid.

First try, it did not seem to work for me. At the risk of TMI, increasing fiber helped firm things up. OTOH, switching to a meat diet had the opposite effect.

For the moment, the pro biotic seem to work. Search here on bariatricfacts.org for probiotics and you get good tips. Another source i like is healthline, I like to track down the references.

Word of note the top ref in healthline, Florastor, Saccharomyces Boulardii, is a yeast, not a bacteria. Pro.. you can take it with an antibiotic. Con.. it sometimes triggers a reaction in those who get yeast infections

I am too lazy for the MONASH App alone. I use it while grocery shopping or cooking, to check on a particular ingredient.

I REALLY benefitted from the Modify Health RD consultations. If you ever go full circle and start over at the beginning of this (almost endless) search, you might want to reconsider that option.

It isn’t QUITE as bad as “no fiber, no carbs, and no itols,” but it sure feels that way. I was no “itols” before the DS. I try to limit carbs, by type. That’s how I use the MONASH App…making soup, I see some green beans in the fridge, wonder if I should add them and, if I should, how many.

I go to the App and see that green beans could go either way. So I click on that item, and I learn that 15 beans, for me, in that pot of soup SHOULD be no problem. I also learn that, IF I react (and all this is on a worksheet from the RD) to SORBITOL-type foods, 25 beans will likely cause SOME problems. But if I throw caution to the wind and go to 35 beans, I’m likely to react A LOT, the way I’d react to both SORBITOL and MANNITOL-type foods.

OBVIOUSLY (I hope), I’m not a dedicated, count-your-beans kind of girl. But once you look at 15, 25, 35 green beans, you get it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back