The future of probiotics

DianaCox

Bad Cop
I love this! I am a big believer in probiotics. I also have a dear friend who is currently undergoing FMT for recurrent C. diff. First dose didn't work.

The woman self-treating with enemas of her husband's poop is brilliant!

And there's this one: www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/health/gut-bacteria-from-thin-humans-can-slim-mice-down.html

Gut Bacteria From Thin Humans Can Slim Mice Down
By GINA KOLATA
Published: September 5, 2013

The trillions of bacteria that live in the gut — helping digest foods, making some vitamins, making amino acids — may help determine if a person is fat or thin.

And more:

This article is from Mother Jones - I'm going to try to find the original research articles over the next little while, but the article seems on the surface to be well-written. (Never followed up ... oh well.)

www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/04/gut-microbiome-bacteria-weight-loss?page=1

Are Happy Gut Bacteria Key to Weight Loss?
Imbalances in the microbial community in your intestines may lead to metabolic syndrome, obesity, and diabetes. What does science say about how to reset our bodies?

vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/27/17488826-after-weight-loss-surgery-new-gut-bacteria-keep-obesity-away?lite

After weight-loss surgery, new gut bacteria keep obesity away

By Sharon Begley, Reuters

The logic behind weight-loss surgery seems simple: rearrange the digestive tract so the stomach can hold less food and the food bypasses part of the small intestine, allowing fewer of a meal's calories to be absorbed. Bye-bye, obesity.

A study of lab mice, published on Wednesday, begs to differ. It concludes that one of the most common and effective forms of bariatric surgery, called Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, melts away pounds not - or not only - by re-routing the digestive tract, as long thought, but by changing the bacteria in the gut.

My sick little brain is now seeing fat people paying for thin people poop.

But...I would sure like them to study the differences in gut flora in the SSMO and those who are underweight! Then we would know what probiotics to take. And I would be willing to pay for those creatures.

My sick little brain is now seeing fat people paying for thin people poop.

But...I would sure like them to study the differences in gut flora in the SSMO and those who are underweight! Then we would know what probiotics to take. And I would be willing to pay for those creatures.

Munchkin, it's happening. In the hospital, they can do it with a colonoscopy, but there are even you tube videos for those do-it-yourselfers!

What had been underground is finally being studied. There is a study for ulcerative colitis that is (I think) in phase one, and a study with c-diff had a 97 cure rate, which is much higher than the antibiotic vancomycin. I've read that they are looking at trying this with chrones and AIDS too. I need to look them up and see what's happening with those, but it's late and I'm too logey.

Latest posts

Back