taking hormones

JackieOnLine

Staff member
quick background, I was in peri-menopause for freakin YEARS and now I might finally be on the other side.

I have been to a Nurse Practitioner twice since moving to OR and she is pretty Woo. OK, very, as in a reads stuff I am pretty sure Diana would tell me was junk. anyway, between my depression and whatever else is going on I have had a lot of issues (insomnia, brain fog) that she thought taking hormones would help. the poor memory is my biggest issue: makes my job a lot harder.

so I've been on estradiol and progesterone for a few months now and the only thing I am sure about is I have lots more lubrication. which comes in handy for 15 minutes or so a few times a week, maybe, but if it comes at the cost of increasing my risk of breast cancer it's not worth it.

regarding about my memory, insomnia and other issues, everything is so subjective and interrelated and constantly fluctuates so I just can't tell.

what are your experiences and advice about taking hormones?

I can't speak to hormones b/c I didn't want them (just a personal decision). But I wanted to ask re: your memory issues. What are you Vit. B. bloods like?

good question, I was due for labs in January in fact. I keep thinking I can wait until I have health insurance and, so far, I don't. I did have a few done last November including B12 and it was OK.

I should have realized someone would bring this up. you are right, of course. :redface:

ETA @aaa I just looked at your photos; hadn't realized you were so far out. congratulations!

seriously? I tend to forget about labs. very stupid.

images
From Nebraska to Oregon? Good move.

Back on topic: No hormones for me either, I didn't like the risks. As for lubrication, there is a lot of stuff out there. Just watch TV; they're now being advertised. (But that could result in another hijack!) My gyn doctor recommended a book before "treating" and we discussed my options without any pressure from him. He was fully supportive of my decision. I wish I could remember the book, but for me it was 20 years ago. Perhaps your library has something. And there is always the 'Net, which I wasn't using much back them. You'll just have to research like you did for WLS and decide what's best for you.

While going through menopause I used a product called Remifemin. My GYN recommended it highly and it worked great for me. You might look into it or check out other natural products. I chose not to take hormones.

You're not stupid. It's just I've had discussions w/my DS nutrit. and she has no problem with me taking this. I take it 3x/day & it has helped with the memory issues.

And thanks for the compliment. I forget those pics are there sometimes. But now you reminded me it's almost time for the next one. :D

Since I had my ovaries out the same time as my DS, I was immediately put in surgical menopause. I did go on HRT for about 5 years. About as long as I needed to get over the worst of the hot flashes. Never have had a problem with insomnia. A couple of years after I was on HRT the study came out about the risks with the type I was taking and I talked with my gynecologist about it. He suggested trying effexor instead as apparently some found it helped with the hot flashes. I think I lasted about 5 days on it. I felt incredibly dragged out and awful while taking effexor and by day 5 I couldn't make myself take the pill. So I went back on HRT. Have been off of it for about 8 years now and seem to be doing fine.

I have been to a Nurse Practitioner twice since moving to OR and she is pretty Woo. OK, very, as in a reads stuff I am pretty sure Diana would tell me was junk. anyway, between my depression and whatever else is going on I have had a lot of issues (insomnia, brain fog) that she thought taking hormones would help. the poor memory is my biggest issue: makes my job a lot harder.
No advice yet, but I love you for calling it "Woo". That's what we call it around here, too. Show me the data.

My doc said that if I was to start on hrt, it should be right away. The risks are higher if you go through menopause and don't supplement till later, so when my periods were becoming erratic and I was complaining of brain fog, I went on est/progest right away. The brain fog was helped immediately. Like, the next day I could tell the difference. I still have some memory issues but it's safe to assume the stress lately has been a contributor to that.

She also gave me testosterone cream, but it'a topical. I guess it helps if I use it, but I'm leery since I don't really want to absorb any of it.

One thing that is supposedly helped by hrt IF you go on it soon, is bone health. Since osteoporosis runs in my family, and breast cancer doesn't seem to, that also weighted my choice to go straight to hrt.

Latest posts

Back