Take that, you coffee haters!

DianaCox

Bad Cop
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...ting-cup-of-joe-may-help-hydration-and-memory

Despite caffeine's many benefits, there's a belief out there that a daily coffee habit can cause dehydration.

So is it true? Not according to the findings of a new study.

Researchers at the University of Birmingham in the U.K. studied the fluid levels of 50 men who had a habit of consuming about three to six cups of coffee each day.

With this kind of moderate coffee consumption, the authors conclude that "coffee ... provides similar hydrating qualities to water."

I do decaff as I don't wanna mess with my bones. Plus I've read that caffeine gives people acid indigestion and they end up on PPIs, again messing with calcium absorption.

I do decaff as I don't wanna mess with my bones. Plus I've read that caffeine gives people acid indigestion and they end up on PPIs, again messing with calcium absorption.

Love my coffee and I haven't taken PPI's yet. But that's just me. So far so good. And there are days when caffeine just has to keep me going.

I have always said coffee IS a mild diuretic. MILD! As in no big deal for 90% of the population.

And I have also always believed that mild diuretic effect is totally abrogated because it's a constant in people who drink coffee daily.

I love coffee BUT I seriously get more heartburn the more I drink. I do PPI twice a day but would love to cut back.

in general, I do much better if I limit the coffee. right now I'm teetering on making a third cup....because I'm a damn addict! :neutral:

*goes off to make a cuppa tea*

I drink two cups of butter coffee daily (okay cups are closer to 16 oz not 8 oz size) but I also add creamer and don't always finish the second one)
I drink decaf iced tea all day long

I have tried going without a PPI and haven't been able to do that.

I thought that PPI's thinned the lining of the stomach...if so, wouldn't PPI's and NSAIDS not be a good choice together? I do take an occasional NSAID...my back hates cold weather.

They only thin the lining with constant use (or so Im told), but taking it once every couple of months just to coat the stomach 30 mins before NSAID is a good thing....or so Im told lol.

Thing is...if I go more than 2 days, my heartburn rears it's ugly head. And I need NSAIDS daily right now. BUT I am only taking one OTC ibuprofen daily. I'm gonna try to switch to Bragg's unrefined Apple Cider vinegar and see if I can come off the PPI as coming off the NSAID isn't an option.

yeah if I didn't have mass amounts of codeine I would have to take NSAID every few hours :( Being cripple sucks like that.

I've only had acid reflux a few times and it was because I ate and then went to bed right after. Biiiiig mistake!

And codeine isn't an option...I'm extremely sensitive to it...to the point that medical personnel told me to treat it as an allergy.

Actually pre-op, I was on a combination of Celebrex, Tramadol, Ultram, and Amytriptyline to manage my pain...getting the weight off helped considerably but I have to say the month before and the month after my DS were MISERABLE for pain.

Actually pre-op, I was on a combination of Celebrex, Tramadol, Ultram, and Amytriptyline to manage my pain...getting the weight off helped considerably but I have to say the month before and the month after my DS were MISERABLE for pain.

:( Im so sorry you have to deal with that. Im on amitriptyline at night to help me sleep deep enough to not wake up in pain during the night :( I wish weight loss had helped in my case but it has only made the ONE issues worse. Everything else is much better and I would do again in a heartbeat :)

Latest posts

Back