T2 remission

Georgepds

T2 remission

Looks like the DS surgery has driven my T2 diabetes into remission.
First diagnosed in 2007... It has been 12 years of struggle with T2. In December of 2017, my morning FBG was around 180, and I was taking 4meds (metformin, trulicuty, farxiga, and glyburide), My A1C was ~7.1%. That's when I had enough and found the local bariatric center of excellence to find out who would do the surgery that would help

I now wake up with a FBG of ~100, and my A1C is 4.8%

I dropped the farxiga and glyburide after the VSG. I dropped the trulicity after the DS, and reduced the metformin. Now 3 months post DS I can drop the metformin.

After the VSG, my A1C was ~ 6.1%, good but not great. That's in the pre-diabetes range, I waned normal, something below 5% and no meds.

Remission of T2 was my goal. If the VSG alone worked, I would have been happy. After a year I went for the DS to administer the coup de grace to T2.

Here are the lab results for my A1C

8/1/19 4.8%
6/19/19. 5.6%
2/7/19. 5.9%
6/13/18 6.2%
12/7/17 7.1%

Here are my surgery dates

5/1/19 DS
5/1/18. Vsg surgery

The studies say DS drives T2 into remission for 95% to 98% of patients. I have an old , well informed, poster named Jillybean for the first clue about DS.

You can read some of her posts here

And here (she is the well informed deactivated member from Woodbridge VA that references the scholarly studies)

I have not seen her posts for years. Thank you Jillybean, wherever you are, for the clue.

That's awesome!!!!! I took went into full+ remission. The + is because my A1C dropped to 3.8 for about 3 years post DS and I fought near constant hypo lol but even that was better than T2D.

Does it run in your family? I only ask because if the answer is yes, the Drs should watch you like a hawk. Even though my A1C at 5+ years post op is 4.1, I am still closely watched because EVERYONE, on both sides of my family has T2D....so for me, it's not really a matter of IF it will come back, but when. Hope that you stay in 100% remission FOREVER :)

Good question.. not my siblings or parents, my niece developed T1 in her 30s, best guess genetically, it came from her mother, who is not related to me.

Latest posts

Back