Surgery in South Africa

Nikki82

Hi all, we dont have many resources out here in SA so I am joining this platform in the hopes of learning from you all.

Im a total newbie. Only four days post op. So far, all is well, besides some pain, I cant complain too much. Lookibg forward to reading and learning.

WELCOME ABOARD!!

Tell us more. Which surgery? J’burg? I don’t recall “meeting” any SA patients and I’ve been hanging around on this/similar boards for 20+ years…so tell all!

Sue

Hi Sue, I'm in Durban. Had surgery with Dr du Toit, Duodenal switch. We have tons of surgeries here but its like taboo to be spoken about. I have no idea why though. Ive managed to connect personally with two patients around my parts. So im very surprised that im not struggling with nausea, could still present ofcourse. All seems to be fine for now, pain aside. Still on clear liquids, hoping to progress to full liquids tomorrow.

Hello and welcome, Nikki82!

sounds like things are going well: are you home or still in the hospital?

We have tons of surgeries here but its like taboo to be spoken about. I have no idea why though.

do you mean any surgery is taboo or just if it is for weight loss? I am puzzled.

Welcome Nikki82
I’m aware of one DS patient who traveled from SA about 10-11 years ago to California to have surgery with Dr. Keshishian. But we’ve kinda lost touch with her over the years.

Hello and welcome, Nikki82!

sounds like things are going well: are you home or still in the hospital?

do you mean any surgery is taboo or just if it is for weight loss? I am puzzled.
Hoping to be released tomorrow. My surgeon is super cautious in all levels.

So just the WLS type of surgeries are not spoken about. Its like they're embarassed to have had it down, people look at them differently. Its sad to have such a narrow mindset. Im in mental health so I get the countries dynamic, just can't agree with it.

Welcome Nikki82
I’m aware of one DS patient who traveled from SA about 10-11 years ago to California to have surgery with Dr. Keshishian. But we’ve kinda lost touch with her over the years.
Yeah back then it wasn't known to be done here. Only the last about 7years has it increased drastically. We only have a few 'accredited' surgeons in this field but many 'unaccredited' who are so willing to take risks. Its scary.

Welcome! Heal and take it easy for now. Not everyone has problems postop. Always remember the people most likely to post ARE the people with problems looking for help!

Hoping to be released tomorrow. My surgeon is super cautious in all levels.

So just the WLS type of surgeries are not spoken about. Its like they're embarassed to have had it down, people look at them differently. Its sad to have such a narrow mindset. Im in mental health so I get the countries dynamic, just can't agree with it.
Well, while WLS is common here, it’s not exactly accepted. Many just tell us we took the easy way out.

Hi and welcome Nikki82! Congratulations on your succesful procedure. With recovery, every day should be a bit better from here on out. Two key tips: 1. Request a copy of your operative report if you haven't done so yet. (2) Stay hydrated - it's critical to keep recovery on track. All the best!

well, you can talk about it all you want to here - all the details, no need to hold back.
Always remember the people most likely to post ARE the people with problems looking for help

that's true - people who sail through with no issues aren't going to hang around and post much.

Latest posts

Back