Surgery date!!!

I began this part of my journey a year ago wading through choices, changing insurance, and even doctors. ChampVA does not cover DS and because I did my research I realized that Schweitzer was trying to give me a SADI when I specifically asked for DS. I dropped him because while I respect his surgical skill, I do not respect that he was not transparent about my chosen surgery.

So, I moved forward, completed my 6 month supervised diet and all requirements. DS was approved on the first attempt and my date is September 26th in NJ with Dr. Greenbaum.

Heather
LapBand 2006
VSG 2009

Congrats and welcome. Great job holding out for the DS and getting away from that guy! Dr Greenbaum has a very good reputation. Please research it and tell him you want the Hess DS and not the standard limb length DS.

I am a member of Dr K's private FB group and a lady who was supposed to have her DS surgery yesterday posted that she was home already (this deceiving fuck also sends his patients home after one night in the hospital) today and because "it was just too dangerous to do the traditional DS he had to do the SADI"! My ass you money grubbin POS you wanted to fit a couple more surgeries in so you planned to give her the SADI all along. The sad part is that people are convinced that their surgeon is great just because they are nice in the office. This poor lady said she was okay with it because she told him he trusted her to do the right thing. I am livid but I don't want to crush the poor lady and tell her right now that she will likely lose only a fraction of the weight she needs to lose and will be needing the real DS in two years.

Sorry for the rant but you made a great decision and I wanted to show what can happen with some of these unethical bastards.

"I don't want to crush the poor lady and tell her right now that she will likely lose only a fraction of the weight she needs to lose and will be needing the real DS in two years."

Scott - you KNOW I am not a fan of ANYTHING about the SADI, including how unethical surgeons are foisting it on people without fully informed consent, except that it's better than RNY or Crapband, but that statement goes WAY too far. You don't know that. NOBODY knows that. It would not be surprising if there is more regain with SADI, but your statement is just an unsupported exaggeration. So far, most people are having OK weight loss with it - but there are no long term results.

For example - 1 year results from Cottam, Roslin et al.:

Obes Surg. 2016 Mar 1. [Epub ahead of print]
Stomach Intestinal Pylorus Sparing (SIPS) Surgery for Morbid Obesity: Retrospective Analyses of Our Preliminary Experience.
Mitzman B1, Cottam D2, Goriparthi R3, Cottam S4, Zaveri H5, Surve A6, Roslin MS7.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Although the duodenal switch (DS) has been the most effective weight loss surgical procedure, it is a small minority of the total bariatric surgical cases performed. Modifications that can make the operation technically simpler and reduce a long-term risk of short bowel syndrome would be of benefit. The aim of this study was to detail our initial experience with a modified DS called stomach intestinal pylorus sparing (SIPS) procedure.

METHODS:
Data from patients who underwent a primary SIPS procedure performed by two surgeons at two centers from January 2013 to August 2014 were retrospectively analyzed. All revisions of prior bariatric procedures were excluded. Regression analyses were performed for all follow-up weight loss data.

RESULTS:
One hundred twenty-three patients were available. One hundred two patients were beyond 1 year postoperative, with data available for 64 (62 % followed up). The mean body mass index (BMI) was 49.4 kg/m2. Two patients had diarrhea (1.6 %), four had abdominal hematoma (3.2 %), and one had a stricture (0.8 %) in the gastric sleeve. Two patients (1.6 %) were readmitted within 30 days. One patient (0.8 %) was reoperated due to an early postoperative ulcer. At 1 year, patients had an average change in BMI of 19 units (kg/m2), which was compared to an average of 38 % of total weight loss or 72 % of excess weight loss.

CONCLUSIONS:
Modification of the classic DS to one with a single anastomosis and a longer common channel had effective weight loss results. Morbidity seems comparable to other stapling reconstructive procedures. Future analyses are needed to determine whether a SIPS procedure reduces the risk of future small bowel obstructions and micronutrient deficiencies.

Fair enough Diana. When I say a person won't lose I should say it differently because I do mean I don't believe it wI'll stay off long term. Personally it seems to me unlikely that the weight will stay off long term due to basically a 300-350 cm Common Channel but you are correct that we have to wait for the data. I have been wrong before. :D

Latest posts

Back