STOP EATING SUNFLOWER SEEDS

Spiky Bugger

...at least for the time being. There may be MORE, but at least don't eat these:

The recalls are listed in order from newest to oldest.

Sunflower Seed Recalls for Listeria Monocytogenes

Creative Snacks recalled sunflower seeds and trail mixes sold under the Fresh Market, Publishers Clearing House, and Plentiful Planet brands for possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination on June 13, 2016.

Honey Bunchie recalled their Gourmet Honey Bars for possible Listeria contamination on June 13, 2016.

Bounce USA recalls Apple Cinnamon Protein Punch Energy Balls for possible Listeria contamination on June 10, 2016.

NoGii recalled Nuts About Berries Paleo Bars for possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination on June 10, 2016.

Rucker’s Wholesale and Service Company recalled sunflower kernels, Sweet & Salty Mix, and Cajun Hot Mix for possible Listeria contamination on June 8, 2016.

Stuckey’s Sunflower Kernels were recalled on June 8, 2016.

Market District recalled sunflower seeds in four Ohio areas for possible Listeria contamination on June 7, 2016.

Rucker’s Makin’ Batch Candies recalls Dollywood Cajun Mix for possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination on June 7, 2016.

Hershey recalls SoFit sunflower seed products and Protein Plus products for possible Listeria contamination on June 6, 2016.

Maranatha brand recalls sunflower seed butter for Listeria contamination on June 4, 2016.

Brown & Haley expanded their recall of Mountain Thins “Trail Mix” flavor for possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination on June 3, 2016.

Kashi and Bear Naked expanded their recall of snack bars, granola, and granola bars on June 3, 2016.

Hickory Harvest expands their recall of sunflower kernels on June 3, 2016. Brand names include Hickory Harvest, IM Good, Amish Farms, Raylicious, Liberty, Sheetz, and Superior Brokerage.

Atkins Nutritionals recalls snack bars for possible Listeria contamination on June 3, 2016.

Hy-Vee recalls salad topping and more trail mix products on June 3, 2016.

Post is recalling Great Grains Protein Blend – Honey, Oats & Seeds cereal for possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination on June 3, 2016.

First Source expands their recall of sunflower products on June 3, 2016, including the brand names Alpine Valley, Earth Fare, Flave, Gonzo 2 Go, Foodhold USA, SSP Fitness, Stewarts, Tops, and Wegmans.

Clif recalls their energy bars and trail mix bars for possible contamination on June 2, 2016.

Jungle Jim and Windy Acres trail mix and sunflower seeds recalled for possible Listeria contamination on June 2, 2016.

More Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars were recalled on June 2, 2016.

Sun Life Sunflower Spread was recalled on June 2, 2016.

ACH Food Companies recalled Durkee Salad Topping, Food Club Salad Topping, and Hy-Vee Garden Style Salad Toppings on June 2, 2016.

SunOpta, the original supplier of the sunflower kernels, expanded their recall to include more products, including the brand names Sunrich Naturals, Spitz (only available in Canada), Kar’s, Planters, and Navitas Naturals on June 1, 2016.

Publix recalled their Nut, Seed, and Rain mix for possible Listeria on May 31, 2016.

Kashi and Bear Naked recalled granola bars for possible Listeria on May 31, 2016.

Backroad Country products were recalled on May 24, 2016. They expanded the recall on May 31, 2016.

C. J. Dannemiller Co. recalled SunOpta 50 pound bags and 30 pound cases of roasted and salted sunflower kernels; roasted sunflower kernels with no salt on May 24, 2016.

E.S. Foods of Woodbury NY recalled meal break items including Cheese Stick w/ Beef,Cheese Stick, Cheese Sauce, Chips & Dip, Lime Bean Dippers, Cheese Cup, Frosted Flakes w/Cheese Stick, Cinnamon Pop Tarts, PBJ w/Milk, Tuna Salad w/Milk, and BBQ Chicken w/Milk on May 23, 2016.

First Source of Tonawanda, NY recalled sunflower seeds, trail mixes, and nut mixes sold under the brand names Alpine Valley, Wegmans, Flave Fitness, Gonzo, Stewarts, and Tops on May 22, 2016.

Hy-Vee, Inc. of West Des Moines, Iowa, recalled six trail mix products that may be contaminated with Listeria on May 21, 2016.

Salads made by Papa John’s and sold at Albertsons, Safeway, Bashas and Food 4 Less were recalled for Listeria on May 20, 2016.

Dakota Style Foods Inc. of Clark, South Dakota expanded a recall of various flavors of sunflower kernels to include 15,158 cases on May 20, 2016.

Hickory Harvest, Big Y, Amish Farms recalled nut mixes and sunflower kernels on May 19, 2016.

Treehouse expanded it recall of products sold under the brand names Southern Grove, Naturally Select, Amport Foods, Fresh Finds, Gold Emblem, Greenbrier, Family Gourmet, Clover Vally, Hy-Vee, K&G, Smart Sense, American Importing, Nice!, Delish and Nature’s Harvest on May 19, 2016

Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars in two flavors were recalled on May 16, 2016.

Vending Nut Company Roasted and Salted Sunflower was recalled on May 11, 2016.

Publix recalled Cranberry Nut and Seed Mix for possible contamination on May 10, 2016.

Rucker’s Wholesale and Service Co. recalled some code dates of Uncle Bucks Sweet & Salty Trail Mix peg bag on May 9, 2016.

Kroger recalled Kroger Broccoli Raisin Salad for possible Listeria contamination because it contained sunflower seeds on May 9, 2016.

Rucker’s Makin’ Batch Candies recalled some code dates of Dollywood Sweet & Salty Trail Mix on May 9, 2016.

Creative Snacks recalled products containing sunflower seeds on May 5, 2016. The brand names include The Fresh Market, Plentiful Planet, and Publishers Clearing House mixes and seeds.

Schulze and Burch Biscuit Company recalled some of their Millville Protein Chewy Bars for possible Listeria contamination on May 5, 2016.

Publix recalled their Wheatberry Salad on May 5, 2016.

Mountain Thins Trail Mix was recalled by Brown & Haley on May 4, 2016.

Kroger recalled Salad Toppers Sunflower Kernels, Kroger Sunflower Kernels, and Kroger Cranberry Delight Trail Mix on May 4, 2016.

TreeHouse Foods amends their recall to include two more products, Signature Kitchen Sweet & Salty Almond Bars, and Southern Grove Roasted and Salted Sunflower Kernals, and to make corrections on May 4, 2016.

Hickory Harvest recalled sunflower kernels sold under Hickory Harvest, IM Good, Sheetz, Raylilcious, Liberty, Heinens, and Amish Farms on May 4, 2016.

SunOpta announced the recall of their sunflower seeds on May 4, 2016. In particular, Planters Sunflower Kernels and Giant Eagle recalled bulk and pre-packaged sunflower seeds sold at their stores and Market District stores on May 3 and May 4, 2016. The recalls were for stores in northeast Ohio, Pittsburgh, central Ohio, and Carmel Market District.

TreeHouse Foods recalls many products for possible Listeria contamination on May 2, 2016. This was the first indication that there was a problem. Brand names include Publix, Super Value, Our Family, HyVee, Great Value, Meijer, Roundy, Nature’s Harvest, and others.

More info:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm505016.htm

I never worry about listeria at all. I bet I have been ingesting it all my life. But I am getting older, maybe I should start. After all it's the old, the young, and the immune compromised.

Oh my! Just yesterday they were giving out trial samples at Costco. Not sure of the brand, but should I drop dead y'all will know why.

I have half a bag I bought from the local BI-LO (store brand) for a recipe....no one got sick from the first half of the bag, so I will use the other half about the end of the month. I don't typicaly get sunflower seeds...just NOW starting to munch on nuts and pecans are my preferred ones right now.

I love sunflower seeds, I have to admit I have a mild addiction, my favorites are Dakota jumbos....yummy....and I don't worry about listeria....I am a raw cheese person....

What don't kill you makes you stronger, according to the great philosopher Homer. Homer Simpson! :D

Latest posts

Back